Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

12 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I think it was poor concentration personally.

He wasn't alert enough to the first effort and then compounded his error chasing around his 6 yard box rather than getting back in position.

It was very very similar to a goal I went mad about Guzan letting in during his final season, damned if I can recall which one though there was so many.

It was just a poor first save for me. Could probably have held it but if he was going to parry it he had to ensure that it went out for a corner. He was always going to be out of position for the return cross and with 2 vs 1 at the far post the goal was inevitable.

Just a bad mistake but he hasn't made many this season and has won us a decent number of points so I wouldn't want to make too big a deal out of it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

It was just a poor first save for me. Could probably have held it but if he was going to parry it he had to ensure that it went out for a corner. He was always going to be out of position for the return cross and with 2 vs 1 at the far post the goal was inevitable.

Just a bad mistake but he hasn't made many this season and has won us a decent number of points so I wouldn't want to make too big a deal out of it.

I don’t agree re positioning after the initial effort. For some reason he moves level with or possibly even in front of his near post, that was poor positioning and wasn’t necessary.

I’m not making a big deal of it though, it was a bad error but in an otherwise decent season.

• Like 1

ball dipped a little in front of him which probably caught him out ... then none of our defenders really reacted to the follow up , probably content for it to be a corner

overall he's still been a top performer this season ..long as he doesn't make a habit of it he's still ok with me

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

ball dipped a little in front of him which probably caught him out ... then none of our defenders really reacted to the follow up , probably content for it to be a corner

overall he's still been a top performer this season ..long as he doesn't make a habit of it he's still ok with me

Yeah I was going to add that he wasn't given a great deal of help from our defenders who had switched off and gave the Sunderland player as long as he wanted to pick out his cross.

1 hour ago, tom_avfc said:

I don't think it's that big an error, personally.  Definitely a mistake, but not an absolute clanger - there's just no room for mistakes when it comes to being a goalkeeper.

The initial strike moves a lot in the air and I think Johnstone is thinking of letting the ball go as it's heading wide.  The movement on the ball forces him to change so he parries it away.  After that, the defending is bad from everyone involved - including Johnstone.

13 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Couple of errors last 2 games that have lead to goals. To be fair to him he is not having much to do so needs to keep his concentration levels high. 

I wonder whether the loss of Terry from the back four has affected him a little? I would imagine John Terry keeps everybody in the team on their toes and concentrating, otherwise they get a verbal rocket.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I thought his kicking was off on Tuesday. Either it was deliberate or a error but virtually every kick was sliced out to Snodgrass to jump to rather than up top for Davis. 

That's a deliberate Bruce tactic. Has been for years. He likes his wingers tall. 

7 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That's a deliberate Bruce tactic. Has been for years. He likes his wingers tall. 

Yep definitely deliberate. When Elmohamady was playing as a winger every kick went to him too (and credit, he won nearly every header as well)

On Tuesday it was probably emphasised even more as Sunderland's left back was about 4 foot 6

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If you've got a 6 foot winger it's a really obvious tactic. Snodgrass himself is 6 foot tall and built like a shit house. 

I'm surprised nobody has complained about us taking long goal kicks yet. 

Its on the list...

Lucky to get away with a fumble, as didn't look a foul to me. Other than that had nothing to do. But perhaps needs a little kick up the ass and steer getting a game to make sure he's not being complacent as this last week he's made a few errors. 

• Like 1

Â