Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Bit straw man for you Ben. You're not a professional goalkeeper who has just signed a new deal with Manchester United. 

Though I suppose a better phrase would be "I'd be astonished if he's worse than x", which is I think what people actually mean. 

I'd be astonished if he's worse than Bunn, who I think is awful. 

Not really. Replace me in the scenario with any number of professionals. If we'd just signed Adam Bogdan the logic would be the same. "he can't be worse than Bunn"
Of course he can.

To be honest I wouldn't be astonished if Johnstone was worse than Bunn. I'd be disappointed and maybe surprised. But I think people are overly critical of Bunn, and would I be "astonished" if a young, inexperienced, GK from Man United reserves was worse than Mark Bunn? No, not particularly.

But like I said I've never seen him play, so I hope he is a great prospect and does well here. I just think people should be cautious with their expectations.

Edited by Stevo985

He has literally no hope of becoming United's number one so with a bit of luck he has a fantastic few months and United will sell him to us.

That being said he's fairly inexperienced so I'm expecting one or two mistakes. 

58 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Bunn is as shit as Guzan and that is very bad indeed - I'd have stuck with gollini but I wish Johnstone well and hope he succeeds .

Guzman Is much better than Bunn which I think really emphasises how poor he is.

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not really. Replace me in the scenario with any number of professionals. If we'd just signed Adam Bogdan the logic would be the same. "he can't be worse than Bunn"
Of course he can.

To be honest I wouldn't be astonished if Johnstone was worse than Bunn. I'd be disappointed and maybe surprised. But I think people are overly critical of Bunn, and would I be "astonished" if a young, inexperienced, GK from Man United reserves was worse than Mark Bunn? No, not particularly.

But like I said I've never seen him play, so I hope he is a great prospect and does well here. I just think people should be cautious with their expectations.

I get your point but I think people saying "he can't be worse than Bunn" is taken far too literally.

obviously all manner of things could be worse than Bunn but as goalkeepers go he is pretty bad as a starter even in the championship.

Cant understand this one; Just dont understand why we didnt bring in an experienced keeper.

We are crying out for a bit of stability, so we buy another kid...and one that is not even going to be ours if he turns out decent.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Then we're having a debate over semantics. For ease, I will revise my statement to say "I would be surprised and disappointed if he were worse than Bunn". Because I think Bunn is crap, he's a walking disaster. He makes more mistakes than he does saves and I'm 'surprised' Gollini was dropped for him. 

I am cautious with my expectations but if he is worse than Bunn then I will be left wondering how on earth we have managed to sink even lower in the goalkeeper position. At some point by law of averages one of them must be at least 'ok'. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Then we're having a debate over semantics. For ease, I will revise my statement to say "I would be surprised and disappointed if he were worse than Bunn"

Well yeah we are. That was literally my point.

"I would be surprised and disappointed if he were worse than Bunn" is a million miles away from "He can't be any worse than Bunn"

I'm just managing expectations. he's a young kid and he'll probably make mistakes too. Knowing Vt the knives will be out as soon as he misplaces a goalkick

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well yeah we are. That was literally my point.

"I would be surprised and disappointed if he were worse than Bunn" is a million miles away from "He can't be any worse than Bunn"

I'm just managing expectations. he's a young kid and he'll probably make mistakes too. Knowing Vt the knives will be out as soon as he misplaces a goalkick

I don't think I said "he can't be worse than Bunn" FWIW ;) 

However I don't think it is a million miles away. I think what people actually mean is "I hope he isn't worse than Bunn otherwise we are truly ****". I think they're right in that regard. 

6 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Does anyone look at a player like Sam Johnstone's wiki, see all those loans and think "what a **** mess" ...or is that just me?

Look at Harry Kane's...

again I'd say johnstones looks a fair bit like heatons

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't think I said "he can't be worse than Bunn" FWIW ;) 

However I don't think it is a million miles away. I think what people actually mean is "I hope he isn't worse than Bunn otherwise we are truly ****". I think they're right in that regard. 

No you didn't but the people I was originally posting about did.

Â