Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

21 minutes ago, John said:

He would have signed for us if we had the means to have made a bid for him which makes him different to other ex players who wanted to leave us. We really have sunk so low haven't we?

We haven't sunk we've been dragged down by a couple of shit owner's, turns out Doug wasn't so bad after all.

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

For the price thats a great deal for West Brom. Veey suprised no premier league club came in for him.

Do you think? I actually saw the £6.5m fee and thought that was a bit steep for him. If we had a pot to piss in and bought him for that amount, I think I'd think the same.

I'd say £3-4m is about right for a keeper that is unwanted by his parent club, has one year left on his deal and has never played in the Prem.

Oh well, let's hope Steer makes us forget all about him.

6 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Do you think? I actually saw the £6.5m fee and thought that was a bit steep for him. If we had a pot to piss in and bought him for that amount, I think I'd think the same.

I'd say £3-4m is about right for a keeper that is unwanted by his parent club, has one year left on his deal and has never played in the Prem.

Oh well, let's hope Steer makes us forget all about him.

Yeah he is young will get better under a good manager. However i do think a lot of his success game from havibg terry and chester in front of him. Be interesting to see how he does there.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

£6.5m?!

if that’s the fee then not signing him is the right thing to do. 

This.

Keepers are rarely expensive unless they're a young, English & potential world class player (Pickford etc) or if they're just downright world clas (De Gea etc).

I haven't got numbers to hand, but I'm sure there have been some seasoned Premier League keepers signed for less than £5m in recent seasons.

1 hour ago, tinker said:

We haven't sunk we've been dragged down by a couple of shit owner's, turns out Doug wasn't so bad after all.

Nah he was bad, we were definitely going down in 2006 and were about to sell Barry for £2.5m.

We lost a lot of our better players because of him.  Just read what Southgate says about the club during his time here.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Not sure Johnstone really makes a difference, Baggies have conceded a lot of goals this season already and he also looked shaky at times especially as we were more solid in defence last season

• 7 months later...
On 04/07/2018 at 07:13, tinker said:

Doug kept us in the black... Thats about it... He also held us back a lot in the mid-to-late 90s when we really could have kicked on and become a force...

20 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Rarely seen a keeper struggle as much from set pieces as Johnstone yet we were dead against putting set pieces right on top of him.
Seemed strange to me.

I was saying the same thing. He flapped at anything high in the six yard box so we kept doing short corners. Weird.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He did that all the time for us, no one should be surprised. 

That's what I mean, I used to cringe when anyone out a cross in when he played for us, so you'd think we'd exploit that weakness but we never really did. 

22 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Rarely seen a keeper struggle as much from set pieces as Johnstone yet we were dead against putting set pieces right on top of him.
Seemed strange to me.

He flapped at a floaty Taylor cross going as slow as possible

Tempted start Hourihane and put Mings and Tammy around him for cormers

Â