Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

I'd like to see a map of where all of the shots have been taken from on the pitch. Would be interesting.

Fair play to him, looked a nervous wreck last season but has been nearly faultless this season.

I think his distribution needs work, but it's no big deal.

7 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I'd like to see a map of where all of the shots have been taken from on the pitch. Would be interesting.

Fair play to him, looked a nervous wreck last season but has been nearly faultless this season.

I think his distribution needs work, but it's no big deal.

Kicking upfield under pressure was a bit of an issue in the nottm forest game IIRC.

His kicking in general is still quite poor.

But distribution is a luxury in a keeper, especially at this level. There's far more important thing to be worried about, and so far this season Johnstone has been excellent in pretty much all of them.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, R.Bear said:

Johnstone's reputation has taken a big hit the last couple of games.

Really?

He could've saved the freekick, I said so myself in the Match thread. But he more than redeemed himself later on. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Dale said:

Not sure how much he was aware of the save, made himself big but the ball hit him more than anything! 

He made the save by throwing himself in the way - agility and positioning , could be faulted for the goal but that save made up for it - deliGhted with the lad this season 

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

I'm not sure he can be blamed for the goal and that was a wonderful save in the second half.

Yeah I agree, he gambled on the guy aiming near post and got caught on the other side, it happens.The free kick was so near to the edge of the box he had to make a decision. If he would have stayed still and it gone in the other side everyone would moan that he didn’t move. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NeilS said:

Yeah I agree, he gambled on the guy aiming near post and got caught on the other side, it happens.The free kick was so near to the edge of the box he had to make a decision. If he would have stayed still and it gone in the other side everyone would moan that he didn’t move.  

He’s got a wall there to protect the opposite side of the goal. He simply cannot be beaten his side. If the player gets it up and down over the wall then you say fair enough - great fee kick. But by creeping across to his left he’s given the taker a free shot into the corner of the goal he should be protecting. It’s one of the most frustrating goals to concede because it’s so avoidable.

That said, I thought he was very good and harshly criticised towards the end of last season and he has been outstanding this season for the most part. Every keeper will make mistakes. Sam did today but his save in the second half more than made up for it.

• Like 1

Â