Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

I've never seen him play and only know about him what I have read on here but I am confused by this signing. It takes a loan space away and I personally would have preferred a more experienced/ older keeper if there was one available. 

Nothing against the guy though. Hope he's fantastic. 

Welcome Sam UTV! 

I hope he's good.  It may be a generalisation but Man Utd reserve keepers generally tend to be half-decent when they move on.  He's not played much top level stuff but if he's been kept on by Utd a fair bit into his 20s he must have something about him.  It's a shame for Gollini though.  I suspect he is more likely to leave than Bunn unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I love comments like "he can't be any worse".

Yes he can. He could be **** awful! :D

Very True. I remember thinking over the last few years that things couldn't get much worse with Villa, then last season happened.

I have to say loans without options to buy when they are young players with limited experience are a bit annoying. Johnstone could have a good 6 months here but we might just be providing a valuable first-team slot to help improve a Man Utd player rather than our own players. 

Still, I hope he plays well and then we can get a sensible deal done for him in the summer rather than him disappearing into the sunset like Kyle Walker did. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I love comments like "he can't be any worse".

Yes he can. He could be **** awful! :D

But I have never seen this chap play so welcome, and I hope you're good :)

Have you seen how awful Bunn is?? You would have to be very very shit to be worse than him

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Have you seen how awful Bunn is?? You would have to be very very shit to be worse than him

I really don't think Bunn is that bad. Not good enough to be a number 1, even at this level, but I think he's a decent backup.

But the logic of "he can't be any worse" just doesn't work. Of course he could.

If Villa had just signed me as their new keeper would you be saying "well he can't be any worse than Bunn!"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I really don't think Bunn is that bad. Not good enough to be a number 1, even at this level, but I think he's a decent backup.

If Villa had just signed me as their new keeper would you be saying "well he can't be any worse than Bunn!"

Bit straw man for you Ben. You're not a professional goalkeeper who has just signed a new deal with Manchester United. 

Though I suppose a better phrase would be "I'd be astonished if he's worse than x", which is I think what people actually mean. 

I'd be astonished if he's worse than Bunn, who I think is awful. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Bunn is as shit as Guzan and that is very bad indeed - I'd have stuck with gollini but I wish Johnstone well and hope he succeeds .

Â