Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

Not sure myself. He's shown vulnerability at times behind a very strong defence. Has he improved much in his time here? I don't think he's much different from when he joined.

It's not a huge amount, and hopefully his wages won't be too much - just think they might be better options.

Westwood at Sheff Wed? Hart if City would subsidise his wages? Lecomte from Montpellier? Pope from Burnley if Heaton regains his place. Ever since he played a blinder for Watford at VP once I've always thought Ben Foster was pretty good :unsure:

Obviously, many options will fall away should we not go up!

I'm all for consistency, and he's played 2 full seasons with us, for that price its a no brainer. Sign him up.

He's already settled and integrated into the squad, it helps with team cohesion.

• Like 1

Personally, I am not rate him and not fan of him, prefer Gollini over him in last season, but he grow in consistency and get better bit by bit every the games, he is need more games to developed, I believe that Gollini would success same as him yet claim these reason home sickness or dislike training under Bruce, or Bruce not want him, I don't know full truth on it as he was say Very HAPPY under Aston villa before Bruce become Aston Villa he become "Unhappy" it is make me think what is it go wrong with it.

In this season, Johnstone give us many clean sheet which he are prove me wrong that he can developed to better goalkeeper than i thought on judge first season performance, credit to him to work hard and make sure he is reached high level.

move to get him as full time as Aston Villa in permanent, to keep team better and understand club, and know the team which it is very important for me to see villa after Lerner mess these thing. I would welcome him yet it is important is right price, and I still think there better option goalkeeper than him, sorry to say these.  I am still think we need buy experience and very good first choice goalkeeper and Johnstone will push him to challenge for no.1 jersey. (Buy Johnstone around under 6 to 8 millions is reasonable) and buy better goalkeeper if there opportunity to chance rid right person on the market for right price or free transfer)

There haven't been many times this season when I've thought 'he could have done better with that shot', it is usually a complete and utter f@ck up when he is at fault, but I think he was questionable on certainly the first and maybe the second tonight. Also his aimless kicking was very annoying.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, poitier said:

There haven't been many times this season when I've thought 'he could have done better with that shot', it is usually a complete and utter f@ck up when he is at fault, but I think he was questionable on certainly the first and maybe the second tonight. Also his aimless kicking was very annoying.

His distribution was really especially poor tonight. He had chance after chance to send our players on their way but kept hesitating and then booting the ball to nobody. Very frustrating.

Weak for all three, the first goal was right next to him, the second was a poor dive for a shot that wasn't in the corner (but will grant he had a lot of bodies in front of him so being harsh). The third goal was a weak shot at his near post. Sorry but he's not a good keeper.

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/03/2018 at 16:09, Czechlad said:

15 clean sheets this season so far. When was the last time we had a keeper get that many?

When was the last time we had the best squad in the league with 2 of the best central defenders in the league sitting in front of our keeper?

£6.5m seems reasonable, if we get promoted..  but I'd buy him as backup for the main keeper. Not Premier League quality for me. On the flip side if we don't go up then its a huge fee with our FFP restrictions

33 minutes ago, Junxs said:

When was the last time we had the best squad in the league with 2 of the best central defenders in the league sitting in front of our keeper?

1980 -81 ?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Junxs said:

£6.5m seems reasonable, if we get promoted..  but I'd buy him as backup for the main keeper. Not Premier League quality for me. On the flip side if we don't go up then its a huge fee with our FFP restrictions

If we don’t go up forget about signing him 

8 hours ago, terrytini said:

A great save, but his distribution is dreadful.....and it’s a big problem.

Yep, came here to say this, made that one terrific save in the second half, but this guy cannot kick, also shite from corners.

• 2 weeks later...

An article sent to me by a work collegue today from The Guardian:-

Johnstone may stay

An on-loan goalkeeper is not always a signing to set pulses racing and Sam Johnstone remembers how, on arriving at a downbeat Villa Park in January 2017, it took a little time for his merits to be appreciated. “You’ve come in, it was difficult, you did hear some of your own fans saying: ‘Go back to Manchester United,’” he says. “It was just a difficult period, probably that month and a little bit of February. Then it kicked on.”

These days Johnstone’s position as No 1 at Aston Villa is unimpeachable. A persuasive case can be made that he is the best keeper in the Championship and, at 25, he feels he has found a home after 10 temporary spells at seven different clubs. After those uncertain beginnings, when a Villa side still adjusting to life in the second tier lost seven games out of eight, there has been no looking back and it was no surprise when Steve Bruce asked José Mourinho if he could take Johnstone for a full season last summer. Mourinho obliged and Johnstone, whose team look play-off bound but could apply late pressure on the automatic promotion places with a home win over second‑placed Cardiff City , is now in popular demand for a permanent stay.

• Like 1

Â