Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

2 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I have never said he was too good for this division, nor thought it.

Not just you. Numerous posters are starting to question Sam even though he has done little to merit that. We've conceded 3 goals in 4 matches. I don't think Sam is the problem. 

We average less than a goal conceded a match. That is very good. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Numerous posters are starting to question Sam even though he has done little to merit that. 

His poor play when crosses/corners come into our box merit some questions being asked, imo. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Czechlad said:

Not just you. Numerous posters are starting to question Sam even though he has done little to merit that. We've conceded 3 goals in 4 matches. I don't think Sam is the problem. 

We average less than a goal conceded a match. That is very good. 

People should use their eyes to judge and not stats. In a more punishing league mistakes would make the stats look worse.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

People should use their eyes to judge and not stats. In a more punishing league mistakes would make the stats look worse.

We are not in a more punishing league though. Hes fine at this level, and may yet grow into one who can rise to the prem with us.

I wouldn't mind going back for another season loan in the summer regardless what division we are in. He is never going to play for united so either they want some money in a transfer, or yet another loan out. If we get promoted surely we would be in the driving seat as he has a good thing going on down here.

People are questioning his recent performances and weakness coming off his line. It's a weakness that until recent games was not exposed. Nobody is suggesting he is now a shit keeper. But there is definitely a weakness there and teams have seen it and will try to expose it. Expect a lot of corners and crosses to come very close to the keeper  in the coming games. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Junxs said:

We're not in a more punishing league though. We shouldn't count our chickens before they hatch. At this level, Johnstone is more than fine. He has been largely great for the majority of the season. We won't find a keeper that makes zero mistakes. Every keeper is prone to errors from time to time. 

Johnstone hasn't made a mistake that has led to a goal. 

29 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

We're not in a more punishing league though. We shouldn't count our chickens before they hatch. At this level, Johnstone is more than fine. He has been largely great for the majority of the season. We won't find a keeper that makes zero mistakes. Every keeper is prone to errors from time to time. 

He was at fault for the QPR goal. But I agree it's not an area we have a problem. 

On 06/12/2017 at 03:48, The Fun Factory said:

I wouldn't mind going back for another season loan in the summer regardless what division we are in. He is never going to play for united so either they want some money in a transfer, or yet another loan out. If we get promoted surely we would be in the driving seat as he has a good thing going on down here.

Good idea. If it’s true, Man Utd are only extending his contract so that they can command a fee when he leaves, so we’ll take him on loan again, pay a portion (not all) of his wages and then get him for free when his one year extension is over. I’d guess they haven’t got ANOTHER extension option, and if they have, then we’ll just loan him again until they get sick of extending his contract without having any intention of keeping him. (Unless, of course, they refuse the loan or he chooses to go somewhere else :P)

He‘ll have to prove he‘s good enough first.

For example.

His distribution will mean 50% of our Goal kicks or his kicks will come straight back at us.

The likes of Stoke, Burnley et al will overload the 6yrd box at corners = 0-1

So back to ManUre July1st 2018 please. Then they can loan him out to WH in the Ch.

On 06/12/2017 at 16:01, Czechlad said:

I think you are missing the point, no one is calling for his loan arrangement to be terminated, we are obviously talking about next year when we may well be in a more punishing league.

He will be 25 next season so Man U would not get the under 24 guaranteed fee for developing him. Hence the 1 year extension to ensure a fee. They arent stupid, they wont loan him out again with just 1 year left, meaning he could leave for free the following season. This has been done to get a fee in the summer as he is 4th choice there, and no longer a youngster.

He was at fault for the QPR goal, and another goal the following game which was identical but for some reason was disallowed. He has looked very dodgy last few games.

If we are in the prem next year there will be better options, if we are still in the championship I'd rather not pay £6 - 8m for him, as they wont be sending him out on loan again.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2017 at 19:59, Czechlad said:

It's amazing how only a couple weeks ago he was too good for this division and suddenly he is not good enough. 

Struggling to find many who said he was too good for this division if any at all. 

He has been good until the last month, he has now, IMO, reverted close to what he was last season, letting in silly goals and looking a total liability whenever a cross is put into our box. 

Overall he might be just about good enough this season, but certainly won't be effective at a higher level and I have massive reservations around whether I can actually trust him not to screw up in a big game.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Â