Bodymoor Heath

TRO

is Bodymoor Heath an Albatross around our necks as opposed to an advantage for us?

Now I'm not proposing that we sell and go back to training over the local park, but it seems to me that ever since we have had it, we have struggled.

It could be a complete coincidence or some of the very average players we have signed take one look at it and think "Oh I've arrived in the big time"...." I haven't got to graft now"

There seems a very soft under belly to all our teams at every level.....I don't see controlled aggresssion or total graft in the sides, I don't see a leaning towards Physical encounter to platform the talent, I see very few players big in stature or powerful, with drive and determination to succeed.

are we producing shrinking violets down there or nurturing a philosophy of Que sera sera.

I might be miles of course here, but ever since we have this gin palace of a training ground it seems like we have developed a rest home for over inflated ego's of football players.....who never got picked up by the elite.

I think the training ground is the least of our problems.

Simply put the players we have signed over the years just haven't been good enough, 90% of the problem stemed from Lerner and the bargain basket we had to shop at in that era which eventually relegated us. Some of those players are still with us today unfortunately.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I think the training ground is the least of our problems.

Simply put the players we have signed over the years just haven't been good enough, 90% of the problem stemed from Lerner and the bargain basket we had to shop at in that era which eventually relegated us. Some of those players are still with us today unfortunately.

I was referring to what the training ground implies on the mental attitude of the players as opposed to the bricks and mortar.

we have spent c 100 mill gross in 2  windows.....and this is the squad we have?....fortunately those decision makers have gone.....but the mess hasn't.

Edited by TRO

No idea really what the problem is but I suspect it is very much to do with the people who are at Bodymoor, not the lavish opulence of the facilities. We have a fantastic training ground - why aren't we using it to hone our squad to top levels of fitness? It's shocking that Steve Bruce's first reaction to seeing the squad in action was that they are not fit and don't play with enough intensity - and that he is effectively saying the same thing today after the Cardiff match. It does make you wonder what exactly happens at the training ground.

We all know this has been a problem for years.

Edited by briny_ear

I agree that some of the has beens, never was's and never will bes we have playing for us probably though they had made it into the big time. When they saw the 'bomb squad' and players like Gabby and Westwood contributing exactly zero for season after season they probably thought I can do the bare minimum, chill out and do whatever the hell I want and I'll still probably play most weeks and get a new contract, and if not I'll still get a move to Celtic or Sunderland or something, and meh a new manager will be along before my contract is up anyway. 

This is Aston Villa Football Club. I have absolutely no idea how or when we lost our way but a club of our stature should be knocking around where Spurs are in the league now AT LEAST. Not just lost to plonker Warnock's Cardiff in the championship. It is completely unacceptable.

I can see where you're coming from TRO, it's not the Waldorf, I'll give you that. It's not all it's cracked up to be. I've been about 4 times now and hopefully I'll be there on Saturday with Noel who posts on here against Spurs (12pm kick off)

Regarding our demise, i don't think we need to look any further than the fact we spent 4/5yrs employing rubbish managers and signing league 1 standard players.

4 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Blaming BMH is like blaming the car park for your crap car.

but that is suggesting I am laying our whole problem at the door of Body Moor heath....my question was are the players responding to the facilities properly with the right mental attitude.

In Isolation Trent I agree......SB has already said the mental attitude is wrong.....I was just asking, is the salubrious training ground part of that mental problem?

I was merely asking the question.

Having watched many Villa sides that did not have that problem, I thought it may be a common denominator

I was not implying that the WHOLE problem was related to BMH it is was merely a suggestion it may be a contributory factor.

Edited by TRO

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

BMH is no different to most decent modern training grounds. I'd echo Trent's sentiment above.

are those training facilities you refer to, top half of the prem?

Edited by TRO

Presumably the best teams of the past generation trained on a windswept hillside in the nude with boulders instead of soft leather balls whilst Fergie and co whipped them with chains.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Presumably the best teams of the past generation trained on a windswept hillside in the nude with boulders instead of soft leather balls whilst Fergie and co whipped them with chains.

now you are getting the idea:)

18 minutes ago, avfc1982 said:

Villa's decline is solely down to Lerner pulling the plug, selling our best players and replacing them with total crap over 6 long torturous years. Nothing more nothing less. 

Can't argue with that.

My point was the players coming in THOUGHT they was as good as the players going out .......when they saw the training facilities and the BMH lifestyle.

Edited by TRO

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

Can't argue with that.

My point was the players coming in THOUGHT they was as good as the players going out .......when they saw the training facilities and the BMH lifestyle.

I agree TRO, I don't think these things should be taken for granted i.e Bodymoor Heath. It's  a more than adequate training ground for where we are. I also can't argue with your first point, it clearly wasn't the case as has been proven over the subsequent years 

Â