Pre-match thread

One For The Road

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Jedinak rightly dropped - and as crap as it is, that's probably our best midfield right now.

The fact he isn't on the bench would suggest he is injured and hasn't been dropped. Against a team like Cardiff who are quite direct and handy off set pieces his height just in front of the back four would have been ideal today.

That midfield now looks lightweight and offers nothing defensively or going forward. We will need a bit of magic from someone today, most likely Grealish or McCormack, if we are to get a positive result.

Edited by markavfc40

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

The fact he isn't on the bench wouldn't suggest he is injured and hasn't been dropped. Against a team like Cardiff who are quite direct and handy off set pieces his height just in front of the back four would have been ideal today.

That midfield now looks lightweight and offers nothing defensively or going forward. We will need a bit of magic from someone today, most likely Grealish of McCormack, if we are to get a positive result.

it's an interesting challenge for Gardner - his natural position is the one that Jedinak plays and he'll want to make an impression.

On 01/01/2017 at 14:07, One For The Road said:

Surely McCormack, Ayew and Adomah is a good enough front 3 to beat Cardiff. Can't see Jack starting but expect both he and Gabby to make an appearance in the 2nd half if we aren't in front. 

Losing Kodjia isn't great but with the money we have spent up front, we simply have to be able to put teams like this away, even without Johnny K.

Yes, but with the midfield we have we will find ourselves with a lot of players in/around the same area, who struggle to pass the ball and are slow to pass and break when needed. We will struggle today.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Why ask Ghana if ayew gonna be on bench. Bizarre

by the way a big f u to Ivory Coast I hope you fail miserably !

There's a possibility Ghana said you can have him but he doesn't play 90 minutes.

Who knows. Would prefer Adomah/ Grealish starting anyway

• Like 2

I'm trying to figure out formation - I think 4-3-3 is unlikely because McCormack isn't a physical striker and it would be a waste of what he can bring to have him running the channels and playing with his back to goal:

--------------Bacuna----Westwood-----Gardner----------------

Adomah---------------------------------------------------Grealish

--------------------------McCormack------------------------------

4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 could work:

Adomah-----------Westwood--------Gardner------------Bacuna

-----------------------------------------Grealish---------------------

--------------------------McCormack------------------------------

And I quite like the 4-2-3-1 for this one:

--------------------Westwood-------Gardner----------------------

Adomah---------------------Grealish----------------------Bacuna

-----------------------------McCormack---------------------------

Whichever - for us to win today, Grealish is going to have to play well.

For us to not lose, I think Gardner is going to have to play well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

For me the most annoying thing is the persistence with Bunn. He's awful.

It can't even be down to Bruce wanting experience, as we are about to sign a goalkeeper who lacks experience. It is indeed odd.

As has been hinted at earlier, this lineup suggests a change in style a well as personal. 

If we don't keep the ball, we'll get smothered and beaten up here. I suggest Bruce thinks we can dominate this game, Cardiff are no great shakes. 

It's an interesting one and if anything it's a style that will suit Grealish, Westwood and McCormack more. I expect we'll see Gabby come on with 20 minutes, to stretch the game a bit. 

I'm all for Jedinak having a day off, he and we need that. 

• Like 1

happy enough with that team, I think we will at least try and pass it around and keep more possession than previous games, hopefully we can turn possession into chances with McCormack, Grealish and Albert playing.