21st Century Managers

OutByEaster?

So, we've had 11 permanent managers thus far in this century. Some have fared better than others, some have worked under difficult circumstances, some under difficult chairmen and it's fair to say some have been better than others. 

Which leaves it to you fine people of VT to judge. What I'm looking for from you is these eleven managers, in order, by your opinion of who did best for us through to who did worst.

• John Gregory 2000 - Jan 2002
  • Graham Taylor 2002 - May 2003
  • David O'Leary 2003 - July 2006
  • Martin O'Neill 2006 - Aug 2010
  • Gerard Houllier 2010 - June 2011
  • Alex McLeish 2011 - May 2012
  • Paul Lambert 2012 - Feb 2015
  • Tim Sherwood 2015 - Oct 2015
  • Remi Garde 2015 - March 2016
  • Roberto DiMatteo 2016- Oct 2016
  • Steve Bruce 2016 - present

Enjoy!

• Like 1

**Have to say I don't think Bruce should be included, but i've based my choice on what he's done so far.

Edited by Designer1

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

And to answer my own question:

1. John Gregory
  2. Martin O'Neill
  3. Paul Lambert
  4. Steve Bruce
  5. David O'Leary
  6. Gerard Houllier
  7. Graham Taylor
  8. Alex McLeish
  9. Remi Garde
  10. Tim Sherwood
  11. Roberto Di Matteo

I'd go with that i think. 

What an absolute sh#t shower of a list though

Hmm, I'd probably go for this:

1. John Gregory
  2. Martin O'Neil
  3. Paul Lambert
  4. David O'Leary
  5. Steve Bruce
  6. Graham Taylor
  7. Gerard Houllier
  8. Alex McLeish
  9. Remi Garde
  10. Roberto Di Mondeo
  11. Tim Sherwood

I feel bad for putting Tim Sherwood last, as that Liverpool semi-final in the FA Cup was the best game we'd played for years and he did help keep us up that year... but he was a disaster for the club really given that summer transfer window.

As Edmund Blackadder said, ah the agony of choice. 

1. John Gregory 
2. Martin O'Neill
3. Steve Bruce
4. David O'Leary
5. Gerard Houllier
6. Graham Taylor 
7. Paul Lambert
8. Alex McLeish  
9. Remi Garde 
10. Tim Sherwood 
11. Roberto DiMatteo 

Incidentally, that eleven would have been a preferable line up to last season's team sheets.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 3

dont like reviewing shit so I just give a one line or so on each manager

1. Gregory - brought us some good times and had ambition but honestly think he reached his ceiling in last season in charge

2. Taylor - uninspiring and a cheap option by Doug at time. lucky to stay up

3. O'Leary - one good season and very good in transfer market. Laursen, Bouma, Solano. pity he an absoltue word removed

4. MON - we did well under him but just like Gregory probably reached his ceiling with squad. his exit and transfers left a bad taste in mouth

5 - Houllier - meh appointment. didnt really see the potential he was bringing. granted he inherited an injury crisis but only stayed up as splashed out on Bent

6. McLeish - wrong man at the wrong club. terrible appointment all around though he did leave us with Nzogbia and Hutton

7. Lambert - shambles of a manager, one good signing out of about 20 and in 3 years couldnt organise a defence. provided us numerous embarrassments and should have been sacked after the 8-0 or the Bradford game

8. Sherwood - made watching Villa fun again for a few weeks including some brilliant results and performance but he lost the plot and became a broken man soon after

9. Garde - just like Houllier though he never got a transfer window though saw nothing that he would make us better. came as an organiser and offered nothing

10. RDM - just pips Garde as worst manager we ever had. shit tactics, shit transfers and shit results.

so all in all we hired a load of crap

• Like 1

• Steve Bruce 2016 - present

• Graham Taylor 2002 - May 2003
  • David O'Leary 2003 - July 2006
  • Gerard Houllier 2010 - June 2011
  • Alex McLeish 2011 - May 2012
  • Paul Lambert 2012 - Feb 2015
  • Tim Sherwood 2015 - Oct 2015
  • Remi Garde 2015 - March 2016
  • Roberto DiMatteo 2016- Oct 2016

Basically a downward spiral since MoN left

we got closer and closer to the drop

once dropped we had a NoCluer in charge of 50+mill

shocking appointments all eccept Mon JG & SB

GT mkii was past it

DoL was always putting us down

GH nearly died on us

AMcL kept us drawing

PL nearly took us down

TS ensured we couldnt stay up

RG left out to dry

RDM Couldnt even get it up footballwise let alone us with 50+mill

looking forward to the

HDE

Bendall

HDE

RL

TX

Thread

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

So, we've had 11 permanent managers thus far in this century. Some have fared better than others, some have worked under difficult circumstances, some under difficult chairmen and it's fair to say some have been better than others. 

Which leaves it to you fine people of VT to judge. What I'm looking for from you is these eleven managers, in order, by your opinion of who did best for us through to who did worst.

Enjoy!

I guess it's all relative, but in terms of the excitement they've bought to me;

1. O'Neill

2. Gregory

3. Bruce

4. O'Leary

5. Houllier

6. Taylor

7. Lambert

8. Sherwood

=9. Di Matteo

=9. Garde

11. McLeish

After number 6 they were all pretty much trash and that's being kind on Taylor. Sherwood delivered 3 of the most exciting months I've had as a fan, but in an ideal world I'd want him bottom of the list. Goes to show just how bad that last 5 are that he's not the worst. McLeish made pissing blood seem like an interesting alternative past time to football as did Lambert towards the end, but he did OK for a couple of years under difficult circumstances. 

Di Matteo and Garde may well be the same bloke for all I know or care. 

Probably ridiculous that I've had to put Bruce 3rd after just 12 games, but at least he gives me hope and at least I like the guy. 

• Like 1

1. John Gregory
  2. Martin O'Neill
  3. Steve Bruce
  4. Gerard Houllier
  5. David O'Leary
  6. Paul Lambert
  7. Graham Taylor
  8. Remi Garde
  9. Alex McLeish
  10. Tim Sherwood
  11. Roberto DiMatteo

Bruce is high because, unlike those who came immediately before him, he is getting results out of the squad he has at his disposal.

Houllier gets higher since he tried to play positive possession-based football and treated the players like the professionals they should have been.

Taylor survives on this reputation, not his second stint.

Garde only goes up the list because he had NOTHING to work with (both players and board)

The last 3 are absolute chancers.

When MON was good it was the best footballing moments I've ever experienced, there was an awful lot bad that went along with it too though, heskey, beye, refusal to play a RB at RB, some shocking home defeats when the counter attack didn't work, every March...I'd started to have enough of him, he'd got us as far as he could, his own stubbornness and lack of plan b meant we'd go no further, whats happened to us since with our rapid decline means he's got away with a lot

then he threw his toys out the pram...

i can't stand the bloke and he'd still be 2nd on my list :(

• Like 3

I think putting Houllier above O'Leary is **** nuts, by the way. O'Leary might be an absolute cockwomble but he did a good job for a couple of years before we couldn't even afford the loan fee for Erik Bakke. He lost the dressing room yes, but it's hardly a shock. The club was a mess, even more so than it was 6 months ago. 

• Like 1

1. Martin O'Neill
  2. John Gregory
  3. David O'Leary
  4. Paul Lambert
  5. Gerard Houllier
  6. Alex Mcleish
  7. Graham Taylor
  8. Steve Bruce
  9. Tim Sherwood
  10. Roberto Di Matteo
  11. RemI Garde

all things considered Lambert kept us up under difficult circumstances ( though he most likely would have taken us down if we hadn't had fired him )and has probably been harshly treated as a result of Lerner 

Bruce will almost certainly end up taking 3rd spot ( or higher ) but no way can he be rated any higher than 8th based on so few games 

Garde has to be the worst managerial appointment in history , even worse than Billy McNeil and Doctor Jo 

Steve Bruce

Martin O'Neill

John Gregory

Tim Sherwood

David O'Leary

Gerard Houllier

Graham Taylor

Paul Lambert

Alex McLeish

Roberto Di Matteo

Remi Garde

Its a bit early to call for Brucie but so far that is where I would put him in anticipation of our promotion this season although that is clearly subject to change. I have based my list on how I felt about the club with these bosses at the helm along with results and the backing or lack of it that they were given.  

Â