AVFC Personality of the year 2016

Grasshopper

13 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

What's your definition of embarrassing?

I can't speak for Trent, but I can say that Stan's comeback attempt was the opposite of embarrassing. It was inspiring and sort of humbling. It was wonderful to see him running around, playing for Villa in a pre-season friendly. 

2 hours ago, blandy said:

I can't speak for Trent, but I can say that Stan's comeback attempt was the opposite of embarrassing. It was inspiring and sort of humbling. It was wonderful to see him running around, playing for Villa in a pre-season friendly. 

Don't get me wrong, it was lovely to see him given the chance to do that, and it says good things about the people that run the club that they cared enough to allow him that luxury - but I think he believed and I think they let him, I think we let him too, we all colluded in an act that made a man feel that something that was clearly impossible was possible - it was the most positive form of pity in a way and I think to an extent it demeaned him, he seemed the only one who wasn't aware it was just a favour. The whole thing left me feeling a little bad - we sacrificed him so that we could feel inspired and humbled.

I would love to see him back here in some sort of coaching capacity and I don't want to insult him, he's been both a great servant to the club and an individual who has proved throughout his career and his illness that he has all of the qualities you would want in any man, he inspires our respect, he deserves our admiration and he remains for me a great example despite the summers misadventures.

46 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Don't get me wrong, it was lovely to see him given the chance to do that, and it says good things about the people that run the club that they cared enough to allow him that luxury - but I think he believed and I think they let him, I think we let him too, we all colluded in an act that made a man feel that something that was clearly impossible was possible - it was the most positive form of pity in a way and I think to an extent it demeaned him, he seemed the only one who wasn't aware it was just a favour. The whole thing left me feeling a little bad - we sacrificed him so that we could feel inspired and humbled.

I dunno, mate, I think we (the Club) just gave him every chance to have a go. There was no doubt scepticism he would achieve what he was aiming for, but I don't see it as any kind of demanding collusion. I see it as giving a bloke a chance. No one had anything to lose, and everyone had the chance to gain. Yes it made us feel good, it was a "story" with no downside, really. I know he was gutted not to ultimately be part of the squad, but I bet he was glad he was able to give it a go, and that this was better than being told "no Stan, you can't try and get a squad place". But I respect your view, as always.

It's a difficult one Pete, and I know I'm on rocky ground, I don't want to appear to be having a go at Stan, I'm not, but I felt the story was always more important than the welfare of the player. 

It's much the same feeling as I get watching Roy Jones Jr fight novelty fights at his age or watching Bruce Forsyth's last series of Strictly. I felt like it was a shame to put him through it; a lion jumping through hoops not to prove he could still catch a buffalo, even if that's what he were told, but for our amusement.

unfortunately we'll never know.

Has it been said (by anyone qualified to judge in an honest manner) that SP had reached his fitness ceiling at the time RDM decided "No way Jose"?

Was there still a way to go for SP to prove that his "fitness" could eventually be enough?

Did anyone see him play pre-season? Was he so far off? or had he not peaked?

This would have been the most important pointer for me

If his peak was reached and it really truely wasnt enough then for his sake, he was given the chance but it wasnt to be. fair enough.

But - and this is the big but that I would like to be given an honest representation of - was there more to come fitness-wise? even over a few more weeks/months?

Because

The slog that we know that is the championship starts in August and ends in May. 

Could he have been Bench-fit from a certain point in the season (be it August -> March)?

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I felt like it was a shame to put him through it;

I think it was his choice, but I do get where you're coming from. In the end we all just want the best for him and wish him all the success in the world.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 27/12/2016 at 23:11, sidcow said:

Steve Bruce.  The man who finally ended the endless out of control spiral.  The man who shot his hand out and grabbed the boot just as it was about to stamp on the human face again,  it does no more! 

I wish to withdraw my nomination please.  The boot is stamping again and it feels harder. 

Â