VillaTalk not fully loading

Stevo985

Question

This happened a few weeks ago but a cookies/cache clearance fixed it.

But for the past week or so it's been back. I almost didn't post it as I'm fairly sure it's an issue with my computer, but thought I may as well just in case.

When I log onto the site from my work PC it looks like this

IMG_0500.PNG.5e7ae79839f54da7030c48b821c

It's now gone back to normal but like I said for the past week it's looked like that.
I cleared Cookies and Cache and used multiple browsers (Chrome and IE) and it was the same for both.

During that week, the site worked fine on my phone and my chromebook at home. Cookies and cache cleared on both of those and still working fine.

That screenshot is one Paddywhack posted in a different thread and I know Mooney said he'd seen it too. So it's not isolated to me.

Like I said, first time it happened the cookies/cache clearance cured it. But second time it stuck around on one machine for about a week.

Probably a problem on my end but thought I'd raise it anyway.

17 answers to this question

The last time it was called by the site software upgrade having a fault. (The SSL rewrite missed the CSS file references.) Clearing your cache would have cleared this.

The problem you are describing is that the CSS file (for whatever reason) isn't available. If your work are blocking the server where the CSS is pulled from (or have cached a bad copy) then this will happen. There isn't much that can be done unless you want to submit a ticket to your IT dept that VillaTalk is broken on your work computer, but fine everywhere else :)

Hi Limpid, 

Not sure if this is an issue anyone else has encountered but thought I'd flag it just in case.

In the last week every now and again when I visit a thread (seems to be any random thread). It will go very clunky then the page will need to reload. At the top it says "an error occurred and this page needed to be reloaded". 

Sometimes it will need to do this several times before it settles down sometimes only once.

I'm using the mobile site on an iPhone on Safari browser. 

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I am having a issue when I go on Villatalk it has a white background and just looks like basic list. I cant use the site in its proper format. I am using chrome. Any ideas?

1. Use the correct forum. I'll move this for you.
  2. Read the notes at the top of that forum.
  3. Clear cookies and cache as instructed.

:)

21 minutes ago, limpid said:

Clearing cookies and cache should be the first thing you do when any website is playing up :)

Very tried this and still same thing happening. I'm using work pc on windows 7 chrome. Tried using Explorer.  (Our trust has blocked the rest unfortunately)

Sounds like the same issue I had,

For me it was because work require me to login to any new webpage. I think it's a proxy thing (I'm not very computer literate in this context)

At least one of the times the problem was I input the wrong password into that login and rather than deny me access to the website, it allowed me onto the website but blocked part of it, I assume the "CSS" that Limpid refers to.

One time mine fixed itself after clearing cache, the next time it fixed itself magically on it's own :)

The final time I cleared cookies and cache and also cleared the saved password for the login I mentioned (it's in your internet settings somewhere).
Then when I came back to VT it asked me to log in again, I input the right password, and it worked.

Â