Villa at Christmas over the years....?

One For The Road

So we head into Christmas on the back of a victory for the first time in a few years. Not only that but we have genuine reason to think we can follow that with a boxing day victory at Villa Park. Again, something that doesn't happen all too often.

So I'm wondering about people's experience of the Villa at this time of year.

For me, beating Man Utd and Arsenal at VP in the space of 2 glorious days back in the last 80's, has yet to be beaten. Then of course there was the infamous Santa game whee we beat arsenal 3-2 in 1998. (Still the last time we beat them at home!)

On the flip side, losing 8-0 to Chelsea and then 4-0 to Spurs has to be the worst. Especially as it was followed up by a hammering by Wigan to boot.

So what are your favourite festive matches or interesting stats regarding the claret and blue army in December? Any really bad memories of performances and results or great victories worth remembering?

Edited by One For The Road

The Boxing Day game has been the one I've been to the most in the last 10 years (had a season ticket for years before that) and sometimes the only game I'll go to in a season - so I love it when it's a home game (which I feel like it has been more often than not).

I'd like to see a list of all our Premier League (my era) results for this day (may do it myself if I have time).

Boxing Day 2008 I think we absolute battered Arsenal and should have won by 4 or 5 but needed a late penalty I think to draw. that was probably one of our best complete performances at home under MON

also the Everton game also on Sky we absolute thumped them, Baros and Angel combined for a delicious goal

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Boxing Day 2008 I think we absolute battered Arsenal and should have won by 4 or 5 but needed a late penalty I think to draw. that was probably one of our best complete performances at home under MON

also the Everton game also on Sky we absolute thumped them, Baros and Angel combined for a delicious goal

That Arsenal game was a last minute pearled from the edge of the box from Zat Knight. We went 2 down but Barry scored a pen to make it 2-1 and then we equalised at the death.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Was that arsenal game not the 2-2 where zat knight scored a last minute equaliser with a left-footed half volley? I think we should've been 3/4 up at half time but we were 1-0 down. And ended up going 2 down before pulling it back.

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Remember the game vs Everton fondly. My wife got us tickets for Christmas (surprise!) her first game. Remember chanting "merry Christmas Everton" and "easy, easy, easy" them off to Broad Street and curry before going to the Hyatt. What a day. 

Also remember the Arsenal game. Felt we were going places back then. 

Was at Elland road one Boxing Day in the early noughties for a drab, cold 0-0 draw. 

Just now, Mjvilla said:

Was that arsenal game not the 2-2 where zat knight scored a last minute equaliser with a left-footed half volley? I think we should've been 3/4 up at half time but we were 1-0 down. And ended up going 2 down before pulling it back.

See one for the road beat me to it!

21 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

Remember the game vs Everton fondly. My wife got us tickets for Christmas (surprise!) her first game. Remember chanting "merry Christmas Everton" and "easy, easy, easy" them off to Broad Street and curry before going to the Hyatt. What a day. 

Also remember the Arsenal game. Felt we were going places back then. 

Was at Elland road one Boxing Day in the early noughties for a drab, cold 0-0 draw. 

I was at that goalless draw at Leeds. Angel and Viduka both had goals disallowed for offside iirc. It was ***** freezing too and my train back from Sheffield was cancelled. 

35 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It might have not been boxing day but I remember use losing to Liverpool in the last minute in 2009. Never been so cold at a football match! Bloody freezing.

Fernando Torres. Think it was around the 29th December or so. The sleet and snow were coming at us sideways and it was viciously cold.

Aston Villa Premier League Boxing Day Results: P21 W3 D6 L12

Sat 26th Dec 2015: Aston Villa 1-1 West Ham

Fri 26th Dec 2014: Swansea 1-0 Aston Villa

Thu 26th Dec 2013: Aston Villa 0-1 Crystal Palace

Wed 26th Dec 2012: Aston Villa 0-4 Tottenham

Mon 26th Dec 2011: Stoke 0-0 Aston Villa

Sun 26th Dec 2010: Aston Villa 0-1 Tottenham

Sat 26th Dec 2009: No match

(Sun 27th Dec 2009: Arsenal 3-0 Aston Villa)

Fri 26th Dec 2008: Aston Villa 2-2 Arsenal

Wed 26th Dec 2007: Chelsea 4-4 Aston Villa

Tue 26th Dec 2006: Tottenham 2-1 Aston Villa

Mon 26th Dec 2005: Aston Villa 4-0 Everton

Sun 26th Dec 2004: Chelsea 1-0 Aston Villa

Fri 26th Dec 2003: Leeds 0-0 Aston Villa

Thu 26th Dec 2002: Man City 3-1 Villa

Wed 26th Dec 2001: Aston Villa 1-2 Liverpool

Tue 26th Dec 2000: Aston Villa 0-1 Man Utd

Sun 26th Dec 1999: Derby 0-2 Aston Villa

Sat 26th Dec 1998: Blackburn 2-1 Aston Villa

Fri 26th Dec 1997: Aston Villa 4-1 Tottenham

Thu 26th Dec 1996: Aston Villa 0-2 Chelsea

Tue 26th Dec 1995: No match

Mon 26th Dec 1994: Arsenal 0-0 Aston Villa

Sun 26th Dec 1993: No match

Sat 26th Dec 1992: Coventry 3-0 Aston Villa

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Sat 26th Dec 2015: Aston Villa 1-1 West Ham

Fri 26th Dec 2014: Swansea 1-0 Aston Villa

Thu 26th Dec 2013: Aston Villa 0-1 Crystal Palace

Wed 26th Dec 2012: Aston Villa 0-4 Tottenham

Mon 26th Dec 2011: Stoke 0-0 Aston Villa

Sun 26th Dec 2010: Aston Villa 0-1 Tottenham

Sun 27th Dec 2009: Arsenal 3-0 Aston Villa

Fri 26th Dec 2008: Aston Villa 2-2 Arsenal

Wed 26th Dec 2007: Chelsea 4-4 Aston Villa

Tue 26th Dec 2006: Tottenham 2-1 Aston Villa

Mon 26th Dec 2005: Aston Villa 4-0 Everton

Sun 26th Dec 2004: Chelsea 1-0 Aston Villa

No boxing day wins in 11 years! Jeez, I knew it was bad but that's bloody atrocious. 

3 hours ago, Tayls said:

When was the 4-4 with Chelsea? Wasn't that a Boxing Day game? 

I believe it was New Year's Eve mate. I remember being down in Northampton for a NYE piss up and listening to the game on the way there in the car. 

20 minutes ago, villarocker said:

I believe it was New Year's Eve mate. I remember being down in Northampton for a NYE piss up and listening to the game on the way there in the car. 

Pretty sure it was boxing day that 4-4. NYE was the one we won 3-1 at Stamford Bridge under McLeish. I think....

Unless my memory is deceiving me I think you will find we always beat West Ham 4-1 on Boxing Day.

And then watch the Great Escape when we get home and have turkey leftovers.

I  am 100% sure this has happened many many times.

Â