Sports Personality of the Year 2016

darrenm

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You know how some words are abbreviated forms of other words? Like how 'advert' is short for 'advertisement'? Well, this is kind of the opposite, and 'personality' is a pointless lengthening of the word 'person'. 

I agree, you're right. The problem is Sports person and sports personality sound like different things (where as advert / advertisement are the same).

They should just call it person and be done with it 

• Like 1

Nick Skelton got a bit of a sympathy vote I think.

Brownlee got the mobilised triathlete vote who are pretty patriotic about their sport and also people will have liked him carrying his brother over the line.

Murray because everyone watches and can understand Tennis. And he has had a stonking year.

4 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Nick Skelton got a bit of a sympathy vote I think.

Brownlee got the mobilised triathlete vote who are pretty patriotic about their sport and also people will have liked him carrying his brother over the line.

Murray because everyone watches and can understand Tennis. And he has had a stonking year.

Nick Skelton more votes than Farah lol.

I appreciate what Murray has done this year, winning Wimbledon and the Olympic Gold, as well as finishing world no.1 after an astonishing dip in form from Djokovic but is that greater than winning the 5k and 10k golds for the 2nd time in the Olympics, matching Lasse Viren. I think the voters are heavily swayed by the bbc bias.

I can understand why Murrary won but echo PaulC on Mo Farah.

Greatest track athlete in GB history and beat by Nick Skelton!

If people didn't vote because of their suspicions, what happened to innocent until proven guilty?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, villa_shere said:

If people didn't vote because of their suspicions, what happened to innocent until proven guilty?

You're making the mistake of thinking that the general public aren't anything other than idiots. 

Even awards like this shouldn't be put to the public vote. It should be a panel of ex winners. 

8 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Murray hasn't got a personality,. however good he is

Whenever I see him interviews he comes across as quite funny in a dry way.  He's certainly not as boring as most footballers.  Plus he's possibly the greatest British sportsman of all time and had a great year, which really counts.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, darrenm said:

Around where I live, the Brownlees are real local heroes. I've met Alistair, he's a nice bloke. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

You doing the chevin chase on Boxing Day with him mate? 

Sadly, no. I've done it many times, one of my favourite races. But my current state of injury recovery/fitness level makes it a no-go this year. Hope to be back in 2017. Are you doing it? 

33 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Sadly, no. I've done it many times, one of my favourite races. But my current state of injury recovery/fitness level makes it a no-go this year. Hope to be back in 2017. Are you doing it? 

No, couldn't handle it on Boxing Day :) 

9 hours ago, chrisvilla4 said:

No, couldn't handle it on Boxing Day :) 

That does make it a challenge, I admit. Always some seriously hungover people going up (and down, and up, and down) that hill every year. Blows away the cobwebs for sure. 

wNo I mean doing the double of the 5k and 10k in two Olympics and one world championships.  amazing achievement. The drug or doping there is no proof against him. Just because he was part of the same training camp that were involved in it doesn't mean he was. I hate these slurs against people. Oh he's improved, so he must be taking drugs!

Edited by PaulC

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

wNo I mean doing the double of the 5k and 10k in two Olympics and one world championships.  amazing achievement. The drug or doping there is no proof against him. Just because he was part of the same training camp that were involved in it doesn't mean he was. I hate these slurs against people. Oh he's improved, so he must be taking drugs!

It was a comment in jest more than anything. However as it wasn't taken as such... the slurs against him aren't the rest of his improvement they are the result of the lies and half truths he has told about his association with some rather questionable figures, such a seeming lack of transparency leads to doubts.

Â