Look what we could of [sic] been

SuffolkVillan

14 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

You realise he hasn't played in the Premier League since 2013?

I thought it was past and present, apologies, I've often been accused of living in the past, flipping good player he was though

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I thought it was past and present, apologies, I've often been accused of living in the past, flipping good player he was though

Forgiven :P

He was indeed, we could do with a player like that at right back now!

• Like 1

you could probably do this  for a lot of teams - off the top of my head Liverpool could say 

Reina, Surez, downing, carroll, benteke , sterling,...

Clubs sell players to other clubs - don't get the point of the thread to be honest. 

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

you could probably do this  for a lot of teams - off the top of my head Liverpool could say 

Reina, Surez, downing, carroll, benteke , sterling,...

Clubs sell players to other clubs - don't get the point of the thread to be honest. 

It passes the time, unless the you prefer knitting?

3 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

It passes the time, unless the you prefer knitting?

I thought the thread was saying 

"We are idiots for selling all these players - look at the team we could have had"

- but there's more too it that. 

• Like 1

Interestingly enough, I set up a league this year with friends on FPL where we could only pick players who used to play for our respective teams at the start of the season. As the only Villa fan, I'm comfortably ahead in that league. 

If you're saying in their prime then the team picks itself imo, but if you're saying based on current form and age then I'd go:

Guzan

Walker Cahill Davies Young

Gana Barry

Milner Downing Albrighton

Benteke

Edited by skarroki

17 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Interestingly enough, I set up a league this year with friends on FPL where we could only pick players who used to play for our respective teams at the start of the season. As the only Villa fan, I'm comfortably ahead in that league. 

If you're saying in their prime then the team picks itself imo, but if you're saying based on current form and age then I'd go:

Guzan

Walker Cahill Davies Young

Gana Barry

Milner Downing Albrighton

Benteke

Gana? He wasn't that good for us in my opinion, he's done great for Everton though. Swap Milner and Downing and we have some side there :)

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Gana? He wasn't that good for us in my opinion, he's done great for Everton though. Swap Milner and Downing and we have some side there :)

I said I picked the side based on current form and age :)

Would also happily have Davis somewhere in that midfield but it's hard to find room for him 

19 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Thought Downing was much better than Young in 10/11.

No chance, Downing only had 2 assists in 1.5 years. He popped up with the odd back post tap in which somehow convinced Liverpool to part with £20m. I don't think Downing ever convinced he was a £12m player during his time here.

5 hours ago, Junxs said:

No chance, Downing only had 2 assists in 1.5 years. He popped up with the odd back post tap in which somehow convinced Liverpool to part with £20m. I don't think Downing ever convinced he was a £12m player during his time here.

In 2010/11 he probably was better than Young though.

Don't think anyone has mentioned Steve  Davis in this thread. He's currently one of the most consistent of our leavers and for me represents a special type: someone who came up through our youth system then had to go elsewhere to learn how to be a successful footballer at the top level. You might say G Cahill is in the same group. 

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Don't think anyone has mentioned Steve  Davis in this thread. He's currently one of the most consistent of our leavers and for me represents a special type: someone who came up through our youth system then had to go elsewhere to learn how to be a successful footballer at the top level. You might say G Cahill is in the same group. 

Good post

Â