Ratings and Reactions: QPR v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

Bunn didn't have much to do tbf but impressed when he won the ball near our corner flag, not sure Gollini would've gone for that. Would rather have Gollini in goal though.

Poor performance but a good solid win and something we can build on. KODJIA worked very hard after an awful penalty. Need to be targeting 7 points minimum from the next three games.

I went for Kodjia MOTM but I kinda tossed a 4 sided coin between him, Baker, Bunn, Chester.  Finally decided on that order, but just barely.  All were excellent.

We looked much better the second half.  For a long time (all the way back to PL days) I've thought our players just didn't show much football intelligence.  They seem to make consistently bad decisions and rarely seem to understand their own formation, tactics, and the interplay that should work in that scheme.  First half there was still a lot that going on.  (a "dummy" when the teammate isn't making that run, a pass over the left shoulder when he just turned right, a cross to the far post when the man there was making a run to the center) That's what I mean about a team that simply is not thinking together (or not thinking at all).  In the second half, there appeared to be less of that.  There was a discernable purpose to our passing more often, and the runs matched the passes much better.  I hope it's a sign of a formation (and team selection?) that works once they get used to it.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Bruce putting on Gabby is a concern for me.

We might need him next month when the Africa Cup of Nations is on. Seems prudent to give Gabby some game time now while we can afford it instead of throwing him in at the deep end in January. 

oh, just saw the article about the controversy over Gaby's throw in.  By law, both feet must be ON or behind the line.  The right foot heel is clearly on, the left foot, probably not, but that's the AR's call and there's no way he could see the left heel for the right.  He would have to let play continue rather than call a foul throw on strong suspicion.  Come to think of it.  The referee was just poor in being inconsistent, not in being one-sided or partial.  Both AR's actually had pretty good matches I thought.

• Like 1

Jingle bells, jingle bells,
Jingle all the way.
Oh! what fun it is to see
Villa win away! 

We really needed that win today. Draws at Leeds, Norwich and QPR would have left us feeling better about our long term prospects but it would only have given us the same number of points that we got out of today's game alone. Lets follow this win up with two more home wins. That would give us 37 points from 24 games and a very Happy Christmas. :clap:  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Call me crazy but I think if Kodjia had scored that penalty we probably would've ended up drawing/losing. We all know how fragile we are and the fact that we scored quite late on meant we didn't have to hold on for too long.

Obviously though we need to learn how to be more composed when we're ahead.

You're crazy. We are not that fragile anymore.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Three points is all the counts, but i've not seen us dominate a match all season or look even vaguely capable of getting promotion

Bunn, Kodjia, Amavi, Chester, Baker had decent games, but overall I thought we were really average again.

We're not playing great or dominating matches at the moment, but the point is if we can keep picking up wins until January (when the window opens) - then we can pick up some quality players and still be in touching distance of the play offs.

If we find ourselves 12 or 15 points adrift of the play offs come January then its pretty much season over, hence why 3 points is all that matters for now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Call me crazy but I think if Kodjia had scored that penalty we probably would've ended up drawing/losing. We all know how fragile we are and the fact that we scored quite late on meant we didn't have to hold on for too long.

Obviously though we need to learn how to be more composed when we're ahead.

we just need to be more composed.....period.

That was a well deserved win. They may have had the possession stats, but our shots on goal was the real indicator. It would have been criminal if we had not won. And we had a penalty saved. 

A poor team performance, but some good individual performances. Those being from Kodjia, Baker and Chester.

Not pretty but a deserved win and the points are what count .

need to win these 2 home games now and close that gap - we could start new year in touching distance of the top 6 .

merry Christmas all and here's to a successful 2017  :)

Edited by Eastie

29 minutes ago, Junxs said:

We're not playing great or dominating matches at the moment, but the point is if we can keep picking up wins until January (when the window opens) - then we can pick up some quality players and still be in touching distance of the play offs.

If we find ourselves 12 or 15 points adrift of the play offs come January then its pretty much season over, hence why 3 points is all that matters for now.

No I get that but so far Bruce doesn't seem to be making any noises around signing new midfielders, so far we have been linked to a few strikers a young goal keeper which makes no sense and a left back from Arsenal. Two loans won't do anything.

RDM underestimated what was needed for the squad to get promotion and it cost him his job, let's hope Bruce doesn't do the same.

Â