Villanous Metamorphoses

limpid

Fred Potter did well in the youth team in the late 50s but was making no progress at inside forward until he was moved to goalkeeper, where he at least got to make his first-team debut. I think he was later Hereford's keeper.

except that Kenny Swain didn't play at the international level - did he?

No John, but he manages the U-16 team now does that count? :winkold: I think he might have had the odd game in an England shirt at U-23 and possibly B-level but back then Villa players rarely got a look in after all we had only won the league & European Cup!

"Back then"? But, John, between 1952 and (?) 1977 we only had one England international - and even he was on his way out when he got his first caps (I'm speaking of Gerry Hitchens of course)! From 1977-on we've not done too badly.

But Barry is probably the first Villa player (aside from Gordon Cowans) to have so much responsibility in midfield since Billy Walker.

And that in itself is interesting, as all three were/are left-sided players. Four midfielders if you count Steve Hodge.

From 1977-on we've not done too badly

I think the lack of England recognition for our players over the past 30 years was far from being not too bad John. Players at other clubs got call ups where the likes of Morty and Shaw did not. Only Platt and Southgate were regulars and players like Little, Gidman, Cowans and Morley deserved more caps than they got. Barry was even ignored for years as we all know. Let's hope things will change now but its not before time that it did.

Yes, OK, agreed! I think I was speaking figuratively! 1952-1977 (25 years) is a mighty long time without hardly any capped player at all!

As it happens, we're still the most capped club in England.

But I see your point.

1952-1977 (25 years) is a mighty long time without hardly any capped player at all!

Agreed also John. Let's hope we have a lot more caps to add to our proud list over the next few years, I suspect Gareth may be the start of a deluge with Young, Carson and Reo soon to follow him into a full England shirt whilst turning out at B6.

Actually, John, this is turning into another subject altogether - how many other Premiership clubs are there that are promoting English players?! Wth the scarcity around, we might see Villa more than half-filling the England team!!!

Actually, John, this is turning into another subject altogether - how many other Premiership clubs are there that are promoting English players?!

Spurs have bought a few John and Manchester City have a decent youth set up that is producing a couple to play alongside Sven's signings. But, I think we have may well have a fair number of players making a breakthrough into England squads over the next couple of years.

well the obvious next one is Carson and it can not be too long before he gets a shout

Young is in the squad and surely he will get a friendly run out

Gabby is doing well at U-21's and carries on scoring (say 12 this season) will be one of the top English scorers

Reo has stiff competition but he is good enough

Gardner is a possible shout as a versitle player and gives his all maybe 2/3 years away

Actually, John, this is turning into another subject altogether - how many other Premiership clubs are there that are promoting English players?!

Spurs have bought a few John and Manchester City have a decent youth set up that is producing a couple to play alongside Sven's signings. ...

Oh, yes, but when you think about it the number of clubs with genuine future England prospects is very few - even Man U seem to be waning in that category compared to their former production line.

Interesting that McClaren recently made overtures about the depth of Villa's youth situation, and how Villa have overtaken Spurs in their potential.

because John it is true, I think we rank 2nd only to Arse and they put in 5 times the money we do

we have some really good prospects and they are being taught correctly and given exposure at reserves and doing well against much more experienced teams

Â