• Grealish
    • Agbonlahor
    • Atew
    • Kodjia
    • Adomah (Agbonlahor 73)
    • McCormack (Grealish 73)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

So here we go, another bad performance and another unneccessary loss.

I cant read minds but I'm sure SB was thinking to himself "what a complete shower of shite"

But its catch 22

Gollini with a secure defence in front of him wouldnt be so exposed.

A defence of only Chester & Amavi protected by Jedi needs both Banks & Shilton in goal.

Midfield possesion - Jedi full stop and thats not his strength.

How can a forward line get into any kind of cohesion when the build up play is so random?

The MF battle is lost, the forwards have no concept, no movement & no discepline.

Gollini ok with A new competent RB + Chester, Baker & Amavi.

Jedi needs 2 Cm's to share the load

We need outlets wide, Adomah, Middle, Grealish/McC/Ayew and a LW

We need a SF capable of goals and a rock for Kodjia to do his stuff off.

Untill then Bruce can only get it wrong with

Hutton, Elphick, Westwood, Gardner, Gaby & Gestede

All have been involved in the last 3 performances.

Before that Bruce, deservedly, got results.

I'm not sure what to think/expect for the next games. But come Jan, we need at least a RB, 2 CM's and a focal point in the forward line. Otherwise SB cant get the team to do any better.

• Like 1

That was very, very poor. Steve Bruce called it pathetic post match and I think he hit the nail on the head there. That is two away SKY games on the trot that we have lost without showing any sort of serious fight. The boss needs to accept sooner rather than later that the Gabby is back experiment is a failure and that he along with Gestede offers us nothing when starting games or coming off the bench. We were carrying more passengers than Southern Rail tonight!        

• Like 3

I honestly don't understand why ppl are going mental about a new RB. It's not like we have any sort game plan where we'd benefit greatly from having whatever world class RB bursting up and down.

Sure Hutton is shit, as has been stated, but he's still a 'perfectly capable' defender at this piss poor level, where we're at.  

We have far bigger problems elsewhere.

20 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I honestly don't understand why ppl are going mental about a new RB. It's not like we have any sort game plan where we'd benefit greatly from having whatever world class RB bursting up and down.

Sure Hutton is shit, as has been stated, but he's still a 'perfectly capable' defender at this piss poor level, where we're at.  

We have far bigger problems elsewhere.

Because with Elphick inside of him & Westwood in front, our right side has a weak defence, a toothless MF and nothing of note to support/create anything going forward.

The shit must be replaced one by one

Actually shocked at how bad we are watching that drivel and being shocked about a Villa performance is quite something considering what we've all endured over the last half a decade or so.

Was astounded at how often we gave the ball directly to a Norwich player when our "player" was under no actual pressure and had plenty of easy options to pass to a team mate, i mean easy pub football level passes, and almost every time they messed it up. In the the first 15 minutes i counted TEN times this happened! As poor a performance as i can actually remember watching from a Villa side. Norwich were poor and we lost to them lamely.

• Like 3

Having had some experience as a goalkeeper - there's nothing more frustrating than having a defender who doesn't close down a shot, and just stands in your eye line to the ball.  

Gollini would not have seen that ball until it had past Elphick, he would not even have known that a shot had been taken until it's too late to dive. 

Elphick either needs to close the shot down or get out of the keepers way. Clever strikers know this and can place the ball into the far corner knowing the keeper won't be able to see/save it. 

And what on earth was Gabby trying to do just a moment before?!  it was his inability to control the ball that lead to their attack. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Gollini 5: Spilled one effort poorly (though did save the follow-up), and showed no anticipation for Oliveira's weakly-struck winner. Distribution not great.

As if by magic I find a post I could have quoted in my previous post ^

Bruce got it wrong last night, but the changes available to him wouldn't have made a world of difference IMO. Probably Bacuna for hutton, Tishbola for Westwood and maybe McCormack for Gabby. Only one of them which would have made the most impact is Ross for Gabby, but we couldn't get the ball near the box anyway.

Whether its Bruces tactics or the lack of quality in the players, there is something hugely wrong with the quality of passing and tempo of football we play. SB called it pathetic, which is quite refreshingly honest compared to previous managerial post match interviews.

I think SB's biggest flaw was not changing not only the subs but the formation yesterday after HT or 60mins.

He has said there will be changes for the next game, lets hope to see at least 2.

Woeful performance. That's all that needs saying, there were no positives.

The games are coming thick and fast now so we don't have a whole lot of time to dwell on it.

Bruce said all the right things afterwards. I'm most encouraged by this

“It’s my responsibility that we don’t have repeats of that because all I ask is to put in the work.

I accept getting beaten, it’s part of football - sometimes the opposition are better than you.

But when you don’t show up or put your boots on that doesn’t wash with me and I won’t accept it.

I’ve had people travelling up and down the country over the last five or six weeks waiting for a chance.

I’m talking about a few who have been waiting in the wings. I’ll make changes.”

• Like 2

Its easy to say we need to spend in Jan but that just adds to the problem that we are not a team or a cohesive unit and that is our big problem.

We keep getting outplayed by proper teams (blues, leeds, norwich in recent weeks).

None of the players seem to have any understanding about what the other is going to do, so even though we are individually better than most teams in that league as a team we are average and our mid table position is exactly right for where we are as a club at the moment.

It really is frustrating that we cant seem to do the basics right such as retaining possession for more than 10 seconds or even passing and moving in midfield. We just don't seem capable of doing what nearly every other team in the league can do.

We have to sign at least one midfielder in Jan, no idea if Brady is the answer but i'm 99.99% sure he would be an upgrade on Westwood and Gardner.

if one more commentator tells me I have to give credit to Gabby for "knuckling down" and losing 6 kg of weight I am gonna put my fist through the telly.

he's a so-called professional bloody footballer and villa fan who should never have been in that position in the first place!!!! aaarrrgghhhhhh

• Like 2

also, I thought that it was very telling how much I craved a proper midfielder when I was watching the Norwich players. The like of Dorrans, Howson etc arent world beaters but simply solid central midfielders who know their job.

I am not yet onboard with Jedinak. I think he looks like a 50 year old rugby player trying to play football. so clumsy and slow. Westwood I used to like but he is second to everything as he lacks the physicality to compete for the ball. And anytime he has to interact with Hutton  - be it a throw in or a pass - it is like watching the chuckle brothers. Only less funny funny and more soul destroying and depressing 

4 hours ago, villa_shere said:

Bruce got it wrong last night, but the changes available to him wouldn't have made a world of difference IMO. Probably Bacuna for hutton, Tishbola for Westwood and maybe McCormack for Gabby. Only one of them which would have made the most impact is Ross for Gabby, but we couldn't get the ball near the box anyway.

Whether its Bruces tactics or the lack of quality in the players, there is something hugely wrong with the quality of passing and tempo of football we play. SB called it pathetic, which is quite refreshingly honest compared to previous managerial post match interviews.

I think SB's biggest flaw was not changing not only the subs but the formation yesterday after HT or 60mins.

He has said there will be changes for the next game, lets hope to see at least 2.

I have to disagree. I think if he had started with McCormack and Adomah it would have made a big difference. Also Bacuna every time over Westwood.

Â