Pre-Match Thread

Grasshopper

3 hours ago, wedge said:

I'd take a scrappy 1-0 Bruce special every day of the week, if we set up and perform as well as we did at the Amex I can see us nicking it but I like some of you have mentioned am a bit wary of the away from home Sky hoodoo...

We've got another one on Sunday too!

Tonight will be the 4th of 10 of 11 Villa away games being on TV! 

Edited by Wainy316

Norwich fans have turned against the manager and the players are getting it too. The longer we stay in this game tonight the more chance we have of winning, they'll get restless. They are in a huge rut, massive pressure on Norwich and Alex Neil atm.

I'd like him to start with 4-2-3-1 tonight please...

Gollini

Hutton - Elphick - Chester - Amavi

Jedinak - Tish

Adomah        Grealish         Ayew

Kodja

However, I think he will start with this...

Gollini

Hutton - Elphick - Chester - Amavi

Westwood -Jedinak - Gardner

Adomah                              Kodja

Rudy

Which would be a mistake imo

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Gollini

Bacuna Chester Baker >

\/                                   ^

Amavi

Jedinak             \/

Tish

Adomah           < Grealish

\/   \|                   |/   \/

< McCormack >

|/      \/    \|                          

< Kodjia >

\/

If Bakers not fit

Chester for Baker

Elphick for Chester

@wilko154 @darrenm can explain the arrows :P

It means that Bacuna is better than Tshibola and that Amavi is about as good as Baker but better than Grealish, who is better than Adomah and McCormack, and Adomomah is also better than McCormack, who in turn is better than Kodjia, but you're not making a call on Jedi, Chester or Gollini.

See. Been paying attention.

• Like 2

Not sure how Norwich play this season but we need to be in the game at 60 min to get their crowd edgy. So 433 the usual defence with Gardner Westwood and Jedinak then Grealish Kodija and Adomah. One thing we can't start Rudy up front I'd rather Gabby play there. 

3 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

We were not over ran on Saturday though and neither were we when he played in a midfield three against Cardiff.

Really, you honestly think we did well in the centre of the park?

Why was it then that we didnt we score more, or have any saved, or have any chances?

It was because they stiffled us, they won the battle right up until Jack did his individual thing...as is the case with most of our victories.

As you rightly pointed out this was against opposition in a bad run of form away from home.

In fact on Saturday for the last 30 minutes he played as part of a two alongside Jedinak.

At the start of the season I would have agreed with the argument that he shouldn’t be played in a three as I doubted whether he had it in him to track back and put a tackle in. I think he has shown he can do that. I think we need him in the middle as without him we lack creativity and someone who can drive forward with the ball and make things happen. I’d imagine against Norwich at their place with them looking to push forward it will allow Grealish a lot of space to exploit between their back line and midfield.

He did indeed move alongside Jedi, and from this move they had there best attacking move of the game, and could well have scored.

TBH you could have played Tonev alongside Jedi towards the end of that game they had so little attacking impetus. Remember what happened after the goal?  We had to resort to trying to catch them on the break as they had pushed right up.

Jack is a good player, but to imagine him as a central midfielder makes me nervous to say the least.

Play him where he is most effective!

11 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Jack is a good player, but to imagine him as a central midfielder makes me nervous to say the least.

Play him where he is most effective!

I think he is most effective at the head of a midfield three. This is where he can be most involved and most influence the game. It allows him to come deeper to pick up the ball and build play from there, drive forward and he can also get beyond the strikers into the box. I think he can be the player that links our play.

He has also shown he can do the defensive side and track back and put a tackle in. With Jedinak and for now Westwood sitting deeper though it should allow his main focus to be on attacking.

25 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think he is most effective at the head of a midfield three.

I like him in the same place, but as the head of a four. I think especially away from home we need three in the middle behind him - personally I'd play him behind Ayew and Kodjia, with Westwood, Jedinak and one from Gardner/Tshibola/Bacuna behind him.

I don't think that's what we'll see tonight.

7 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Don't care if it's the worst game of football witnessed in many a year with the winner coming from an OG of someone's arse. So long as we get there three points, a win tonight would huge.

That's about the size of it! Not bothered if it has cloughie and cruyff spining their graves as we completely choke the life out of a shit game as long as we win!

Can definitely see us starting set up to play on the counter here, first goal will be massive.

41 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I like him in the same place, but as the head of a four. I think especially away from home we need three in the middle behind him - personally I'd play him behind Ayew and Kodjia, with Westwood, Jedinak and one from Gardner/Tshibola/Bacuna behind him.

I don't think that's what we'll see tonight.

I don't think that is offensive enough though and if we do play like that we will contain sides and be solid away from home but we would continue to struggle to win games which puts huge pressure on us continuing to secure three points at home.

In the last away game at Leeds I think had he have been fully fit he would of played at the head of a three as he has in the last two home games. We pressed high up the pitch against Leeds and Westwood and Gardner were on numerous occasions the furthest forward. Grealish can clearly be more effective in an attacking/pressing midfield role than either of those two and tonight I think/hope that we will see a front three and Grealish behind them with Jedinak and Westwood sitting deep. Ideally I would want McCormack central and Kodjia and Adomah either side up top.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

I just hope we don't setup a defensive draw because we are away and because Norwich are promotion favorites.

We shouldn't be scared of anyone in this division and should setup to attack in each and every game.

If we can go at them early and grab an early goal the crowd will soon turn and make their players jobs harder (a bit like us last season :ph34r:)

4-4-2 

------------------------Gollini------------------------

---Hutton-----Chester-----Elphick-----Amavi---

-Adomah---Jedniak---Westwood---Grealish--

--------------Kodjia------McCormack-------------

Can easily switch to a 4-2-3-1 with this formation as well. 

18 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I don't think that is offensive enough though and if we do play like that we will contain sides and be solid away from home but we would continue to struggle to win games which puts huge pressure on us continuing to secure three points at home.

In the last away game at Leeds I think had he have been fully fit he would of played at the head of a three as he has in the last two home games. We pressed high up the pitch against Leeds and Westwood and Gardner were on numerous occasions the furthest forward. Grealish can clearly be more effective in an attacking/pressing midfield role than either of those two and tonight I think/hope that we will see a front three and Grealish behind them with Jedinak and Westwood sitting deep. Ideally I would want McCormack central and Kodjia and Adomah either side up top.

I think we can still be offensive in that formation - three players without much in the way of defensive duties and with the ability all three have to create something out of nothing should give us the offensive power we'll need. That said, I think the manager agrees with you and I'm enjoying watching it.

I don't unfortunately think that McCormack can play the number nine role at the head of our front line - I think Kodjia can but Bruce likes him to the left and I think Gestede can, but he's not mobile enough for the way we want to play. I think that's why we're linked to strikers. For McCormack, I think he's perfect for the number 10 role behind the striker, but then so is Grealish and so is Ayew. For me, McCormack is the spare wheel at the moment, but an excellent option from the bench and a hell of a show of strength in depth at this level.

15 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't unfortunately think that McCormack can play the number nine role at the head of our front line - I think Kodjia can but Bruce likes him to the left and I think Gestede can, but he's not mobile enough for the way we want to play. I think that's why we're linked to strikers. For McCormack, I think he's perfect for the number 10 role behind the striker, but then so is Grealish and so is Ayew. For me, McCormack is the spare wheel at the moment, but an excellent option from the bench and a hell of a show of strength in depth at this level.

I am not sure on where McCormacks best position is if I am honest apart from having seen enough to know that it isn't out wide. How did he play at Fulham was it as a number 10? I agree that Bruce does seem to see Kodjia's best position as being out wide and drifting inside.

I wouldn't have a problem playing Gestede centrally but you have to play to his strengths which is getting to the byline and putting crosses in and we don't. The other central option is Gabby and for the way we play I don't think he would be a bad option as he can be a nuisance and for me is capable of being a bit of a battering ram and can hold the ball up well enough at this level and allow others to break off him and find space.

Given the choice of Gestede, Gabby or McCormack I think I would go for McCormack perhaps influenced by the fact we lack goals and he does have a proven pedigree at this level. I also think if Grealish is behind the potential is there for them to link up well. The guile of Grealish and McCormack along with the pace and power of Adomah and Kodjia gives us a nice blend and on paper at least looks a formidable offensive line up.

Edited by markavfc40