Pre-Match Thread

Grasshopper

Confidently think we'll lose maybe by a margin too. We've played poor last two matches. Golini due a mistake. They seem to either lose heavily or win easily. Their manager banging on about their arrogance which has resulted in the run of defeats. No arrogance tomorrow. 

Brady will do a job on us. (rumoured transfer target for erm, us).

Happy to be wrong.

On 10/12/2016 at 20:31, dont_do_it_doug. said:

This game is mahoosive. You could say they all are, but with the opportunity to go 6th for the first time there for the taking

We're 4 points from 6th, but yeah a massive chance to leap frog one of our rivals

Gollini

Hutton Elphick Chester Amavi

Jedinka

Bacuna          Westwood

Adomah                         Grealish

Kodjia

I am guessing Baker is still injured for this one

Would move Grealish outside and bring in an additional centre midfielder for this one as I think we could be overun.

Bacuna will be more of a driving force than Gardner.

3-0 Villa, top of the league here we come :ph34r:

Edited by wilko154
  • Like 1

Norwich are in terrible form, and like others have pointed out, their style of play should suit us. Thus I can only see a win for us. Just don't expect it to be comfortable or pretty. 

Ps. No Gabby please. Not in the starting eleven, not on the bench. 

Edited by vreitti

I'd take a scrappy 1-0 Bruce special every day of the week, if we set up and perform as well as we did at the Amex I can see us nicking it but I like some of you have mentioned am a bit wary of the away from home Sky hoodoo...

We've got another one on Sunday too!

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

Gollini

Hutton Elphick Chester Amavi

Jedinka

Bacuna          Westwood

Adomah                         Grealish

Kodjia

I am guessing Baker is still injured for this one

Would move Grealish outside and bring in an additional centre midfielder for this one as I think we could be overun.

Bacuna will be more of a driving force than Gardner.

3-0 Villa, top of the league here we come :ph34r:

I wouldn’t push Grealish out wide. He is our best and most influential player and he needs to be in a position where he can dictate the game and be involved as much as possible so has to play centrally. I think there was an argument at one time that this would make us less solid in the middle but I don’t think that is the case now. Grealish has shown when played at the top of a midfield three that he can put a shift in and help out defensively and isn’t afraid to put his foot in.

There would only be two changes for me and that would be Westwood for Gardner and McCormack for Ayew with Kodjia and Adomah starting either side of him and Jack pulling the strings just behind. I think played together on a regular basis Grealish and McCormack will build up an understanding and can provide that bit of guile along with the pace and power of Adomah and Kodjia.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I wouldn’t push Grealish out wide. He is our best and most influential player and he needs to be in a position where he can dictate the game and be involved as much as possible so has to play centrally. I think there was an argument at one time that this would make us less solid in the middle but I don’t think that is the case now. Grealish has shown when played at the top of a midfield three that he can put a shift in and help out defensively and isn’t afraid to put his foot in.

There would only be two changes for me and that would be Westwood for Gardner and McCormack for Ayew with Kodjia and Adomah starting either side of him and Jack pulling the strings just behind. I think played together on a regular basis Grealish and McCormack will build up an understanding and can provide that bit of guile along with the pace and power of Adomah and Kodjia.

Have to admit I missed the Wigan game as I was away. I heard Ayew was poor which is why I mentioned moving Jack out wide, but it sounds as if he is fully capable in the middle.

I have been looking forward to McCormack coming back for a while now as I think playing with Kodjia & Grealish will see him hit form.

I like it!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

No way in the world should we play Jack in a midfield role here.  This is still a very dangerous team, playing at home.

Its not as if it worked against one of the worst teams in the league either!

They have a good strong midfield with plenty of options, we would be overrun playing 2 in the centre.

Id say Jack will be prominent here but he will play up front or off the bench.

13 minutes ago, Nigel said:

No way in the world should we play Jack in a midfield role here.  This is still a very dangerous team, playing at home.

Its not as if it worked against one of the worst teams in the league either!

They have a good strong midfield with plenty of options, we would be overrun playing 2 in the centre.

Id say Jack will be prominent here but he will play up front or off the bench.

We were not over ran on Saturday though and neither were we when he played in a midfield three against Cardiff. I get that these games were at home against struggling teams but it was against sides who did pack the midfield. In fact on Saturday for the last 30 minutes he played as part of a two alongside Jedinak.

At the start of the season I would have agreed with the argument that he shouldn’t be played in a three as I doubted whether he had it in him to track back and put a tackle in. I think he has shown he can do that. I think we need him in the middle as without him we lack creativity and someone who can drive forward with the ball and make things happen. I’d imagine against Norwich at their place with them looking to push forward it will allow Grealish a lot of space to exploit between their back line and midfield.

We have to start winning games away from home and to do that we have to be more adventurous and attacking.  Against a side that has lost six of their last seven games if we can get at them from the get go and get an early goal they could well quickly fold. With the diabolical form they are in there is no way we should be going there on the back foot trying to contain them.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Gollini

Bacuna Chester Baker >

\/                                   ^

Amavi

Jedinak             \/

Tish

Adomah           < Grealish

\/   \|                   |/   \/

< McCormack >

|/      \/    \|                          

< Kodjia >

\/

If Bakers not fit

Chester for Baker

Elphick for Chester

@wilko154 @darrenm can explain the arrows :P

Edited by Grasshopper
  • Like 3

We lost at Norwich last season (but we lost most of our away games last season). We have lost 14, drawn 8 and won 6 of our 28 league games at Norwich so it is not a particularly happy hunting ground for us historically. I think the first goal will be crucial (if there is one) as Norwich's confidence is at a low ebb at the moment so a Villa goal could see their hopes subside. I would take a point but three could well set us up for the rest of the season. Let's be having you Villa!