Pre Match Thread

villa89

Why is Amavi allowed to run backwards but Bacuna isn't? If Bacuna goes higher up the pitch won't it leave us a little open if he's not allowed to run back?

Why is Baker allowed to run left but not right but Chester isn't allowed to move at all?

I'm a bit confused.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

Why is Amavi allowed to run backwards but Bacuna isn't? If Bacuna goes higher up the pitch won't it leave us a little open if he's not allowed to run back?

Why is Baker allowed to run left but not right but Chester isn't allowed to move at all?

I'm a bit confused.

I'm more concerned that McCormack is playing the crab role. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

I'm a bit confused.

I'm not sure if you are joking here.

However, if an explanation is needed, here goes:

All positions are starting positions so they move from them to advance and revert back (do you need arrows back?)

The back 4 - Bacuna needs only to support Adomah, can start deeper an not have to venture past Adomah.

Amavi doesnt have a "winger" in front of him so must be licensed to go all the way forward - as Jack shouldnt be forced too far back, Baker can cover him.

Midfield - Jedi holds, even deep enough to drop into defence if need be.

Tish must be the legs in midfield but as Amavi starts further up the pitch he only needs to cover middle and right

Jack covers mainly the middle and left going forward

McC roams and presses across the field along with Adomah and Kodjia.

this lineup and roleplay calls for a disciplined shape and the clear knowledge of players knowing what their positional areas and responsibilities are.

Now that SB has our overall shape in order, maybe we can start being a little more adventurous and give a few players a bit more freedom to make something happen.

our main players who can "do" things are Amavi, Adomah, Jack, McC & Kodjia

We dont need to play with the marvels of Hutton galloping down the wing to cross to nobody, Westwood advancing into a shooting positioning missing the Rugby posts or making a square pass.

Amavi & Adomah need to advance in space with the intent of a forward pass or cross with the options of a ball back/square to Jack/McC

Jack & Mac need room to manouver.

We should be playing with intent to get the whole shape moving forward and having the ball moving from player to player forward creating chances.

I honestly think we have the players at this level.

our physicality limits our fight

our skill is more than enough to dominate used correctly.

F**** I'm starting to sound like Higginbotham

Edited by Grasshopper
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

All positions are starting positions so they move from them to advance and revert back (do you need arrows back?)

The back 4 - Bacuna needs only to support Adomah, can start deeper an not have to venture past Adomah.

Amavi doesnt have a "winger" in front of him so must be licensed to go all the way forward - as Jack shouldnt be forced too far back, Baker can cover him.

Tish must be the legs in midfield but as Amavi starts further up the pitch he only needs to cover middle and right

this lineup and roleplay calls for a disciplined shape and the clear knowledge of players knowing what their positional areas and responsibilities are.

Now that SB has our overall shape in order, maybe we can start being a little more adventurous and give a few players a bit more freedom to make something happen.

We dont need to play with the marvels of Hutton galloping down the wing to cross to nobody, Westwood advancing into a shooting positioning missing the Rugby posts or making a square pass.

Amavi & Adomah need to advance in space with the intent of a forward pass or cross with the options of a ball back/square to Jack/McC

We should be playing with intent to get the whole shape moving forward and having the ball moving from player to player forward creating chances.

Fair enough. Makes sense now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

I followed your instructions with a notebook and pen.

It drew a smiling bunny rabbit flying a kite made out of bacon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJ said:

I followed your instructions with a notebook and pen.

It drew a smiling bunny rabbit flying a kite made out of bacon.

Did your imagination lead you to sh@g the rabbit or try to eat the bacon?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Did your imagination lead you to sh@g the rabbit or try to eat the bacon?

I ate the bacon.

The bunny was too quick on his unicycle.

• Like 2

I don't think it will be easy today, Wigan are unbeaten in 5 away games which include Brentford, Leeds, Cardiff, Barnsley and Huddersfield.

I think it will be a draw

2 minutes ago, KHV said:

I don't think it will be easy today, Wigan are unbeaten in 5 away games which include Brentford, Leeds, Cardiff, Barnsley and Huddersfield.

I think it will be a draw

Not saying I definitely think we'll win but Reading were unbeaten at home and Fulham unbeaten away until we beat them.

57 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

It's match day again... cautious optimism is starting to creep in. Come on Villa!

Screw that. Reckless optimism all the way! Putting all happiness down on a win. If we dont, I will accept the conequences of becoming emotionally decrepit after a loss.

• Like 1