"Political Correctness"

StefanAVFC

7 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

**** hell I wasn't trying to point score. By saying that the left has done good work with certain things, I wasn't saying the right hasn't. You chose to wade in and make it all about left/right. I didn't even mention the right or the Tories, because if anything, I was having a go at the left.

That certain people (often on the left) dilute important social justice issues by focusing on nonsense (such as the Lena Dunham shite above)

This is most definitely true. But I feel like their presence and influence is hugely overstated, probably thanks to illusory nature of social media. Apart from some weird stuff going on in a few college campuses, they have pretty much zero influence outside of Twitter and Tumblr. Meanwhile, their counterparts the alt-right are holding meetings on how they can influence policy with some of their big shots being given big positions in Trump's team.

"you can't say anything anymore without someone getting offended"

Wrong.

People have always been offended by insensitive, offensive jerks. It's just that the people who have been the butt of such comments have had a gut full, made a bit of a noise, and agitated for change.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ponky said:

Wrong.

People have always been offended by insensitive, offensive jerks. It's just that the people who have been the butt of such comments have had a gut full, made a bit of a noise, and agitated for change.

Image result for being offended

Emily Maitlis on Newsnight tonight is wearing a sort of long sweatshirt and a pair of long suede boots.

As a feminist, I support her right to wear whatever she likes.

Anyone looking at this in a sexual way, well, they need to get with the programme.

:rolleyes:

I mean, man of the year surely suggests that there's a seperate woman of the year, rather than it being the same thing that can be won by either a man or a woman. Person of the year seems to just make more sense.

On 12/9/2016 at 14:25, Xela said:

They're basically unemployable in the mainstream sensible world. 

Not if they have a master's degree which translates well to the job market. And people think corporate culture is stifling now...

Edited by maqroll

On 12/8/2016 at 09:00, Ponky said:

Wrong.

Not necessarily true.

During a game of poker, a friend of a friend got annoyed by me referring to someone as an "actress". Apparently it's sexist and that "female actor" is the correct term. :crylaugh:

Edited by kurtsimonw

I think the very existence of what the PC brigade call 'micro-aggressions' establishes that there is no utterance too trivial, intentional or not, which cannot be condemned as an insensitive attack where one party is a perpetrator and the other a victim.

This creates a continuum of permanent offence which tends towards conflating the trivial with the blatant. 

This is what pisses people off.

• Like 3

I was having a conversation with a 20-something girl outside a bar a few months ago. I was conveying a hypothetical situation where the imagined person used the word "bitch"...she quickly took offense and told me I was wrong to use that word...even though the CONTEXT implied that the word would not necessarily have been of my own choosing if I was representing myself...

:bang:

Edited by maqroll

10 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

You referred to her as a girl, you sexist pig.  I bet your hypothetical situation was just an excuse to use the word "bitch" and not have to take responsibility for it...

haha, there is no escape

The **** is Shapiro and who the **** is Milo?

I care more about my skid marks I left in the toilet then these word removed's. 

Seriously, maybe modern society does need wiping out with its 'triggers', new fangled 'im a under represented' weird mixed part fish/wardrobe/aubergine/human hybrid gender labels and the faux outrage that everyone blogs and tweets about. **** it all up its bleached gender fluid safe space bum hole.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 2

Â