2016: Worst Year Ever?

maqroll

7 hours ago, maqroll said:

Or is this the new normal...

Has the year been that bad? Personally or do you mean politically?

If politically, then its just hiccups along the long road of history.

Its been a pretty good year for me.

16 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Has the year been that bad? Personally or do you mean politically?

If politically, then its just hiccups along the long road of history.

Its been a pretty good year for me.

I wasn't referring to myself. Personally it's been pretty good on the whole. In terms of political strife, war, dying icons, Villa getting relegated...it's been a pretty crap year.

• Like 3

Personal Accounting: 2016

The Good: I got married to the woman I love, I got a job and then got promoted going from a zero-hours contract to a full-time one, I began renting an apartment and moved out of my childhood bedroom. I've been able to see a British male tennis player be number one in the world, which will probably never happen again, and we gunned it at the Olympics. The Villa are finally on the mend. La Vuelta was really exciting this year. The price of production of one unit of energy from solar and wind sources is declining all the time and I'm optimistic that renewables are finally beginning to win that battle. Fewer kids are in poverty around the world, and scientists seem to have made real progress on Alzheimer's. 

The Bad: My grandmother died. My job annoys me often, and the pay isn't good, but I don't know how to get to the job I want. I will spend Christmas on a different continent to my wife because of the laws put in place by my government. Everything in politics, but most obviously the rise and legitimisation of the far right, culminating in the murder of a politician in the street of a British town by a far-right loony and everybody basically shrugging about it. The return of Disgraced Former Defence Secretary Liam Fox. That the conflicts in Syria, Yemen and Afghanistan are going on with no end in sight. The hottest year on record, and the climate crisis looking worse than ever. That we may have less than 100 good harvests left in this country. That I spent most of the year being mortified about being a Villa fan. 

Overall: pretty shit really. The world is ****, but at least the footy is a welcome distraction. This should have gone in the boring thread really, sorry. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 3

Worst year of my life. My beautiful Mum passed away after two years of struggle against lung and breast cancers, as well as COPD. I also lost an uncle too, who was Mum's last surviving brother. Another uncle had a severe heart attack and now lives with less than 30% of working capacity of his heart. 

Been tough financially too because I used nearly all my annual holiday to help my dad look after Mum, which also resulted in me spending 6 nights a week at my parents' home and away from my girlfriend and 2 year old son, for over 3 months. Because of using all my holiday, and it not being enough, I've lost a lot of days unpaid leave from work too. 

Worst year of my life by far and completed by my team being relegated just for good measure. :(

• Like 2

I've protested my football club and seen them sink to their lowest eb, watched my dad self destruct and ultimately die, had a fairly serious stress related illness, I've had concussion which knocked me sideways for over a month and tore my MCL last weekend. 

I've had some highlights of course, but all in all its been pretty **** cack, yeah.

31 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Worst year of my life. My beautiful Mum passed away after two years of struggle against lung and breast cancers, as well as COPD. I also lost an uncle too, who was Mum's last surviving brother. Another uncle had a severe heart attack and now lives with less than 30% of working capacity of his heart. 

Been tough financially too because I used nearly all my annual holiday to help my dad look after Mum, which also resulted in me spending 6 nights a week at my parents' home and away from my girlfriend and 2 year old son, for over 3 months. Because of using all my holiday, and it not being enough, I've lost a lot of days unpaid leave from work too. 

Worst year of my life by far and completed by my team being relegated just for good measure. :(

Sorry for your losses. I lost my dad to lung cancer a few years ago, it is a brutal thing to witness to a loved one.

Â