Moving home

leemond2008

I should be outta this dump in a week or two, managed to pick up a 1 bedroom flat down the road, I'm just waiting for the formalities now.

I didn't have much choice but to get out of this place, its literally falling apart and the landlords are absolute words removed. I am downsizing but it's a much nicer flat than the one I'm in now.

I've started doing a bit of packing today (4 boxes of books, probably another 2 or 3 boxes to go) It shouldn't be too stressful for me, all I'm taking is 1 bed, 2 TV's 1 TV stand, 1 coffee table my guitars, piano and books. My plates and cutlery and all that stuff will be coming as well but thats no problem.

I've never done a move like this before, when I moved into this flatt I came from my mom n dads so it was just a case of pick up what I needed when I needed it but this is going to have to be done in one go.

I checked with my current landlords and they said that they will need at least 28 days written notice lolz, they can get to ****, I will tell them when I've gone and just withhold any rent that they are asking for, if they want to make a big deal of it they can take me to court.

My mates are gutted that I'm leaving, we have had some pretty damn good sessions in this place, it's a shame the landlords are such pricks though, I haven't really got much choice.

I would ideally like to do everything by the book but the landlords are complete arseholes, I've lived here for about 7 or 8 years.

Windows are single glazed, the roof on the landing leaks (just above the window, its caused all the plaster to come off) kitchen is the same, bathroom is almost unusable, boiler has only been checked once since I've moved in (last November) an electrician has been in and told me that the electrics are illegal and he wouldn't wire a cooker up to it let alone a whole flat, the window in the bedroom doesn't close properly.

I've sent them letters, emails, photos, I've phones them and threatened to report them and they couldn't give a shit, I have offered to withhold the rent and pay for it myself.

The flat opposite me is completely empty and has been for about 2 years now (since my neighbour set fire to it, not sure what happened but he had a grow on and somehow managed to blow the electrics and start a fire) they told me that the empty flat was the priority and they were going to do that up so they could rent it back out, I explained that I should be the prority because I'm already a paying tennant and they laughed at me and put the phone down.

It's at the point where even if they were to come in and get the place bought up to scratch it would be such a huge job I'd have to move out whilst it was being done anyway.

Like I say they are bastards.

not at the moment, it's took me long enough to save up enough for this and I'm only just going to be able to scrape by (I could still end up borrowing a few hundred quid off me mom n dad to help me out as well)

Once I'm in and settled and comfy then I can start saving for a place of my own, I know that renting is just dead money but at the moment I don't have much choice, I don't really have the time to sit back and save for a deposit etc at the moment.

• Like 1

I've already  told my neighbours that I'm keeping a key to downstairs and to their flat so I can take advantage of the roof in the summer, that's the one thing that I'm gutted about leaving, had some brilliant sessions on that roof.

Moved house myself recently.

Even though it was a relatively simple one (I let my old house so there wasn't any stress of buying and selling involved) I still hated every minute of it. It's a horrible experience.

I've got all the loose stuff boxed up now books, DVD's all that sort of rubbish, all my guitars are back in their cases I've just gotta box up my pots, pans and mugs and then it's just a case of waiting for the go ahead to get out.

get the removals in to shift my bed sofa coffee tables and book cases,tv's  and I'm done.

I just hope I'm not waiting around to long now I'm well ahead of the game at the minute which is a good thing I suppose 

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Moved house myself recently.

Even though it was a relatively simple one (I let my old house so there wasn't any stress of buying and selling involved) I still hated every minute of it. It's a horrible experience.

Where did you move to in the end? Sutton?

I'm on the move too, should be in Wednesday, after a nightmare with the solicitors. I mean I know they got a job to do but they have been utter jobs worths. Why the hell does it still take 12 weeks to move, although it's took mine 17 weeks. I won't wanna do it again in a hurry. An indemnities, please don't get me started......

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep! We're in a flat not far from the town centre, just south of Four Oaks station. Loving it!

Now I'm trying to figure out where you are! :)

Just called up for an update from the estate agents and they said they are hoping to get me moved in within the week so they will be chasing the letting company for updates.

Checked with my manager and he forwarded all the referencing stuff over to the HR dept on Friday but he is going to chase them this afternoon to see if he can speed them up

I called the letting agency directly and they said that they are struggling to make contact with my current landlords.

What happens if my current landlords don't get back to them or if they drag their feet about giving a reply?

I've never done a move like this before so I'm not too sure what the implications could be if they decide to be bastards about it.

Well I have had an amazingly frustrating day today.

Got through to my current landlords who advised that they are refusing to provide a reference as they have not received my 28 days notice to end my tenancy

I explained that I can't provide my notice until I have had the new place confirmed, they can't confirm until they get the reference.

I explained this to my word removed landlord and he remained silent, I said 'if I give you my 28 days notice and something happens which stops me from getting this new place then I am effectively making myself homeless'' landlord chuckled and said ''well that isn't any concern of ours is it''

I asked how long it would take them to complete the reference once I gave them notice and he said 'well it will be when I get around to it' I asked how long it would take for him to sort it once he gets around to it and he said 'well....I suppose that depends on what sort of questions they are asking'

I managed to get them to agree to my 28 days notice on the proviso that if for any reason I don't get this new place then my notice is withdrawn and my tenancy will continue as normal. I know that won't help me out at all but it's a little something that I can use if things do go shitty as I have had it agreed by them.

I know I said that I was planning on just going without providing any notice but if you understood what monumental arse holes they were then you would understand.

Everything was getting along just fine up until now, the problem is that the landlords know they will need to spend thousands upon thousands just to get someone else into this place, with me here at the moment they are just picking up £400 a month for a dead property so they don't want me to leave

That sounds pretty infuriating Leemond. Landlords can be such rocket polishers!

In somewhat related house moving news, I exchanged contracts today on my first home! So excited! This month is going to kill me though. 

• Like 2

Â