The USA

Mantis

Thinking of going to the US for a couple of weeks next year. I've been before but only to Florida and San Francisco. I'm not sure exactly what form my holiday will take or how many places I'll visit but I was thinking of spreading it out across 2 or 3 cities. I'm going to leave the big tourist cities (New York, Los Angeles and Las Vegas) for another time so what are some other interesting cities people would recommend? I'm thinking mainly large-ish cities but they don't necessarily have to be.

Planning to go on my own if that makes any difference and I'm looking for something that isn't too expensive. Basically hidden gems is what I'm looking for.

I can definitely vouch for Washington DC.  Despite being the capital city, it does fly under the radar as a destination alongside the glitzier spots.  But it has tons of stuff to see.  The highlight of which for me was the Air & Space 2 beside Dulles airport.  The city centre is small enough to be mostly walkable too.  If you've never been then I recommend fitting it in if you can.  Particularly with Dulles being quite an easy airport to get cheap flights in to from this side of the pond.  Being up near the North Eastern corner of the country also makes it logistically easier to find other interesting cities a (relative) stone's throw away.

• Like 2

Some really good suggestions here. I'm settling on the idea of DC, Baltimore and then Philadelphia (with maybe a stop somewhere inbetween there) partially because it looks really interesting but also because I know someone I might be able to stay with in DC and because they're all quite close together. There are so many other places in the US I'd like to go to though so keep 'em coming. :thumb:

Charleston is the best place I've been in the USA mate (bar Vegas). South Carolina not West Virginia. Def do not get them confused! Are you single? If so fanny in Charleston is absolutely mint. Great food and bars and loads of very beautiful architecture and some very important historical sights  

I second philly. Had some good nights out cough I mean soccer coaching conventions there. 

I liked baltimore as well although it is a proper blue collar city. 

Hippy/alternative you can't go wrong with Asheville NC. Beautiful as well. 

Charlotte NC is the closest to me and is quality. Great bar/food scene and young professionals city so plenty of good vibes and no trouble-ignore recent riots!!!!

But cant believe nobody has questioned why your not going to Vegas!!!!! Mate!!!! Best. Place. Everrrrrrr. 

9 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

Charleston is the best place I've been in the USA mate (bar Vegas). South Carolina not West Virginia. Def do not get them confused! Are you single? If so fanny in Charleston is absolutely mint. Great food and bars and loads of very beautiful architecture and some very important historical sights  

You don't get reviews like that on Tripadvisor! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 22/11/2016 at 13:47, BOF said:

I can definitely vouch for Washington DC.  Despite being the capital city, it does fly under the radar as a destination alongside the glitzier spots.  But it has tons of stuff to see.  The highlight of which for me was the Air & Space 2 beside Dulles airport.  The city centre is small enough to be mostly walkable too.  If you've never been then I recommend fitting it in if you can.  Particularly with Dulles being quite an easy airport to get cheap flights in to from this side of the pond.  Being up near the North Eastern corner of the country also makes it logistically easier to find other interesting cities a (relative) stone's throw away.

i really enjoyed Washinton DC as well - spent 3 days there, saw George Bush (accidentally). 

On 11/22/2016 at 10:23, Demitri_C said:

Another great one is Boston, what a fantastic place 

When the weather is nice, there's no better big American city for walking, and it's small enough that you can walk most of it, with bus and subway links aplenty if you can't. The city is becoming a bit too polished for my tastes, but it still has it's charms. Just don't go there in the winter..

• Like 1

I'm going to Utah (Salt Lake) next month for a week with work, will only have time available in the evenings for recreational activities but I've heard it's a 'dry state' governed by Mormons so if anyone has any tips on things to do there I'm all ears! 

I shan't be visiting the US for the next 4 years but when I do return, the Florida keys is somewhere I'd love to go back to. Also loved San Diego and Miami but thought I'd like New York more than I did. I will have to go back there one day and give it another go. 

In 4 years......

Baltimore has its charm, Philadelphia was interesting purely from the perspective of getting lost and ending up in Mantua, literally feared for my life that time. Santa Monica is enjoyable as is the music tour of New Orleans, Memphis and Nashville.

On 1/19/2017 at 04:51, bannedfromHandV said:

I'm going to Utah (Salt Lake) next month for a week with work, will only have time available in the evenings for recreational activities but I've heard it's a 'dry state' governed by Mormons so if anyone has any tips on things to do there I'm all ears! 

Park city. 

I drank beer and bought beer when I was in SLC

Â