Atmosphere at the club

Keener window-cleaner

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I would bump this on the back of us looking at a crowd of over 40k on Boxing day.

I think given what we have endured the last five years or so and the fact for much of this season we have hardly set the league alight that the atmosphere around the place is looking pretty positive. I have been pleasantly surprised at how the fans have stuck with the club. Home attendances are averaging over 31k and away from home the support has been unreal.

I think if we can get up amongst the top 6 then the last third of the season could well see a number of games where we need to reopen the top of the Trinity and crowds pushing 40k+.

There is so much potential here. A sniff of some real success and this whole place will lift off.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

You really can't miss how hard those running the club are trying to turn it around after years of neglect and mismanagement.

Yes it has been very impressive and thankfully the fans have responded. There is a big obstacle to overcome though and that is we need to get promotion. Ideally this season but at the latest next. I think for so many things, Xias investment or even his interest, the fans attending in decent numbers, the general feeling that this stint in the Championship is just a temporary one. We stick around in this league for too long and the optimism that is bubbling up nicely now will quickly begin to dissipate.

Keeping this positive though I do think the bounce we would get by coming back up quickly would have the potential for the whole place to lift off and propel us into the top 8 of the Premier league within a couple of seasons.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Yes it has been very impressive and thankfully the fans have responded. There is big obstacle to overcome though and that is we need to get promotion. Ideally this season but at the latest next. I think for so many things, Xias investment or even his interest, the fans attending in decent numbers, the general feeling that this stint in the Championship is just a temporary one. We stick around in this league for too long and the optimism that is bubbling up nicely now will quickly begin to dissipate.

Keeping this positive though I do think the bounce we would get by coming back up quickly would have the potential for the whole place to lift off and propel us into the top 8 of the Premier league within a couple of seasons.

It is very brittle Mark as you point out.....January in my eyes is very important to us despite it being marked down as a bad time in general.

In terms of the momentum, we need to get it right.

Edited by TRO

22 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Yes it has been very impressive and thankfully the fans have responded. There is big obstacle to overcome though and that is we need to get promotion. Ideally this season but at the latest next. I think for so many things, Xias investment or even his interest, the fans attending in decent numbers, the general feeling that this stint in the Championship is just a temporary one. We stick around in this league for too long and the optimism that is bubbling up nicely now will quickly begin to dissipate.

It is very brittle Mark as you point out.....January in my eyes is very important to us despite it being marked down as a bad time.

In terms of the momentum, we need to get it right.

If we can get things right in January, we will have a good shot at getting into the play-offs. A number of teams from 4-10 will drop down the table and a few from below will rise - we need to be the first of that group.

I am generally looking forward to Boxing day and I am impressed with our support. 4 home wins on the spin, things are looking up. No matter how many fancy new stadiums will be built in the future, Villa Park is a fantastic place to go when we are on a run. It seeps history and we all hope we can go back to where we think we should be. Getting a bit emotional tbh!

• Like 1

On 25/11/2016 at 20:34, Shropshire Lad said:

Last season, it was a bit like -

However, if we can continue this steady progress I think this season will be more like -

Surely you have these songs the wrong way round? 

Edited by sidcow

On 12/22/2016 at 18:19, The Fun Factory said:

I am generally looking forward to Boxing day and I am impressed with our support. 4 home wins on the spin, things are looking up. No matter how many fancy new stadiums will be built in the future, Villa Park is a fantastic place to go when we are on a run. It seeps history and we all hope we can go back to where we think we should be. Getting a bit emotional tbh!

me too....taking the Mrs, should be fun, she knows more about Villa than me.

ok,ok,ok thats not much

• Like 1

On 25/12/2016 at 12:13, TRO said:

me too....taking the Mrs, should be fun, she knows more about Villa than me.

ok,ok,ok thats not much

so maybe it is she who has been posting all this time and all you do is iron her trousers?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Very pleased with last nights result against Bristol City and in particular second half performance. However I was left with a bad taste in my mouth due to some fellow fans sat around me and my mates.

One the lads I was with was having a moan here and there notably when Johnstone kicked the ball out in a really panicked way and Gardner was playing poorly at one point. To my surprise a group of fans sat in front of us, one in particular, turned around and started having a go at us. I was quite shocked at how aggressive they were being in their tone and I hadn't actually said anything negative personally. I said to him that everyone is entitled to an opinion and lots of other people are moaning (including them!) at various points during the match. I just got told to F off repeatedly and I was told to "watch my mouth" whilst he was clearly reaching boiling point looking like he could explode at any moment.

He also came out with some rubbish about "where have you been for the last 5 years" which made no sense - we'd never met before and he had no idea the amount of games we had been to. Plus, if he thinks Bristol City at home on a Tuesday night is some kind of glory hunting he is completely gone upstairs. It was all getting very silly and about "I'm a better fan than you" type stuff. For well over 90% of the game we got behind the lads and moaning is just a natural reaction to something that happened in that instance. 

Why am I posting this? I just wanted to get it off my chest and if any of those lads are reading this, I'm not here to trade blows or insult you. I just want to point out that you were wrong last night to act like you did and I hope you learn from it. No one should go to Villa Park and sit with fellow supporters and be spoken to like crap and be threatened. I understand passion but you crossed a line. 

• Like 4

On 21/11/2016 at 12:03, TRO said:

The atmosphere has changed from gloom to hope.....However,there is still much to do......but so much has happened in such a short space of time.

• The players have more of a spring in their step
  • The togetherness is returning, you can see that in goal celebrations.
  • Martin Allen ironically laughing at a question of "will Villa make the play offs"....He said "Oh Yeah" ( with not a doubt in his mind)
  • We are no more a laughing stock, but an organised unit to be taken seriously.
  • The belief has returned to the terraces, the bounce of the fans has resurfaced.
  • The ironical mutings have disappeared to be replaced with siege like chanting.
  • The manager delivers his lines to the press with pomp and confidence and eye contact of defiance.
  • The owner has gone quiet, indicating all is well.
  • The backroom staff are shaping from wanted people who other clubs are sick at losing.
  • The managers name is being chanted with warmth and respect.
  • The Giant is awakening ......VILLA ARE BACK.....on the road to recovery.

How many years into the future does your crystal ball stretch to? I can't wait for all of the above.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

How many years into the future does your crystal ball stretch to? I can't wait for all of the above.

Check the date I wrote it ...but conversely, what  a difference a week makes in football.

:)

Â