The VT Christmas 2016 thread

Xela

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I'll have yours. I love sprouts. 

I actually had them on a pub roast dinner this time last year and they were ok. Turns out if you cook them too long they taste like a piece of shit. I genuinely did not realise that was the case, and had previously assumed they were just nasty no matter the cooking method. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, hogso said:

I actually had them on a pub roast dinner this time last year and they were ok. Turns out if you cook them too long they taste like a piece of shit. I genuinely did not realise that was the case, and had previously assumed they were just nasty no matter the cooking method. 

Absolutely correct. 'School dinner' sprouts are awful. And never, ever try frozen sprouts. But lightly sauteéd in butter with bacon, chestnuts and garlic, they are lovely. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Absolutely correct. 'School dinner' sprouts are awful. And never, ever try frozen sprouts. But lightly sauteéd in butter with bacon, chestnuts and garlic, they are lovely. 

This but with a bit of chilli. Perfect. I love sprouts!

Anybody got their Christmas list written up yet? I've just started writing out Christmas cards, I made some up featuring my cat :crylaugh:

OK, I'm a Dylan fan. I've got pretty much everything he ever recorded. So as a completist, I had to get this. But, let's be honest, even for the most dedicated Bobcat, it's... challenging. No, strike that. It's AWFUL. It'll still get played once every year, though. 

61N1RHAZGAL.jpg

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, chrisvilla4 said:

My son's just opened day one of his advent calendar, xmas playlist coming together on Spotify. 

Getting that Christmas vibe :) 

Mine opened theirs this morning too and heart fm started playing xmas songs. The vibe is definitely here.

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

I've suggested that this years drinking game is - every time the mother in law asks a question, we both drink.

I call her "Bamber Gascoigne". We will be pissed before dinner.

• Like 2

On 11/30/2016 at 02:36, villa4europe said:

You'll find it all on youtube

bacon with your sprouts, boil your potatoes for 5 minutes and then bash them about a bit before roasting them, don't buy hestons amazing looking but not worth the money puddings from waitrose 

Ive cooked the last 2 years, it's timing more than anything that's so hard, last year was for 6 adults 2 kids think out of everything I did it was the cheesy garlic hedgehog bread with the starter that went down a treat

Another tip for roast potatoes - put the pan (with the oil) in the oven for 20 mins or so before you add the potatoes. When the oil is cold the they soak it up so it takes longer for them to crisp up. With hot oil they start frying on the outside immediately. For added amazeballs flavor use goose or duck fat. Shit now I'm hungry.

Â