Strike: Would you cross a picket line?

The_Rev

If your company went on strike, would you cross the picket line?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. If your company went on strike, would you cross the picket line?

• yes
    • no

So how about the people who actually think health care and teaching for once are very important roles in our society. They enter the proffession with hopes of fighting and raising the stature of it. Is that not allowed?

Go ahead and do a job for the love of it, but don't moan because you don't get 100k a year... your choice!

Those who enter a profession because they find it very important, and want to fight to raise its stature. They have every right to strike for improved pay and work conditions. You dont get money or good deals without fighting.

Bringing 100k into this is just a target miss. How do you really think payment and working conditions are delivered? If you dont ask for it, you wont get shit. People will always be pushed until they push back.

You think payment and working conditions are static? You think the economy doesnt change? You think the same jobs people entered in the late 60s are equally treated in every aspect now?

People who has a profession and feels they get a bad deal, they have every right to fight for a better one. Wether you like it or not.

I think that Nurses and Teachers get raises in terms with inflation and they always want more...

And they do have a right to fight for a better deal, but striking is NOT the way... you can vote with your feet, do an outstanding job and get promoted, there are many way without hindering the people you have promised to help!

on payday the other week (some quiz show on Channel 5) , the teacher was earning £50k ...it's hardly a poverty line job so what grounds do they have for striking ... do they want even more holiday leave in a year ??

on payday the other week (some quiz show on Channel 5) , the teacher was earning £50k ...it's hardly a poverty line job so what grounds do they have for striking ... do they want even moer holiday leave in a year ??

Egg-****-zackly!

Yes, I'll keep looking at facts

Sorry, thats just funny :lol:

Ah the argument where you pick out one random person you have seen on telly, and obviously everyone have equal terms as him.

OK, My Step Mother, both my Sisters, one of my Sisters husbands and my partner are all teachers, and all make a good living... hows that for stats?

Oh and BTW they fully believe what I believe on striking, etc! So facts they are kid..

Ah the argument where you pick out one random person you have seen on telly, and obviously everyone have equal terms as him.

Well Al Gore was mentioned a heck of a lot over the weekend as the wisest man in the world ..he's only one person ,presenting random and one sided facts ......

I'm sorry, but positions are made redundant not people, so if the company were replacing these people then they were breaking the law.. so either your story is untrue, i.e. having to train replacement, or the Union didn't represent it's members correctly...

Redundancies are part and parcel of a successful business, people talk about looking after the majority, and this is exactly what redundances do :confused: I have been made redundant numerous times, and you get up and look for another job, it's life, anyone who think a job is for life these days is sadly mistaken!

i think you've answered my point correctly, positions should be made redundant and not people. When business choose to abuse that, and if you think they dont you've either been very lucky or are misguided then it is the employees that arent protected enough to prevent it. This to me is the reason that people choose to strike. In my case i led 9 people to receive settlements from the company, all of them would have won at tribunal like many other did. This is an example of a company that chose to break the law. Its very disappointing for the employees to have to put their lives on hold for so long while the law catches up.

all of them would have won at tribunal like many other did

just a slight side issue but I heard once that although a tribunal can award agaisnt a company and award a settlement to the individual ..they are not actually legally bound to pay and cannot be forced to do so

seems a heck of a waste of a tribunals time ......

OK, My Step Mother, both my Sisters, one of my Sisters husbands and my partner are all teachers, and all make a good living... hows that for stats?

just sticking my nose in and being pedantic, but they aren't stats at all.

Unless you break it down and say that 2/3rds of your immediate family are teachers - that would be a stat(istic)

"All make a good living" is not a stat either, mote a very generalised, subjective and remark without detailed back-up.

Now, if you had said what they were earning, then ..... :winkold:

for the record my sister and cousin are both teachers and both have a very decent standard of living, and get paid a tidy sum for their efforts.

A lot of my teachers earn £40k a year- and they'll be off for 6 weeks this summer. Oh and they had 2 and half weeks at Xmas. And 2 weeks at Easter- and it keeps going. They're over paid IMO.

Not to mention that British Mining was losing money hand over fist, but let keep an industry going, costing the country money because a few people will lose their jobs... and theres me thinking it was the majority that count, but I suppose that only counts when it affects you and your own :roll:

Interesting then that the Welsh are reopening their coal mines because they aren't profitable :roll:

Â