Fan meeting with Steve Round

OutByEaster?

15 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Not no Chief Scout - no scout targeting this age group at all. It was mentioned in the meeting that last season Everton had more scouts in Birmingham than we did. Round is fixing that. Quickly.

That was the bit that jumped out at me. I thought I couldn't be more shocked at the going ons under Lerner's reign but once again, here I am.

Staggering and disgusting. **** that guy.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

What a wonderful insight. I particularly enjoyed reading his views on the benefits of statistical analysis, it is an aid not the be all and end all. 

If you had two players, both with the right skills visually, the right attitude and potential then there's absolutely no problem with using statistical analysis to weight them. Or if you are umming and arring over a player and you can use statistical analysis to show that they are trending in the right direction or perhaps that they might offer a little something that is not immediately apparent, it might tip the balance, then great. However it should not be the jumping off point. That buys you Idrissa Gana and Jordan Veretout, but it might leave Albert Adomah or Mile Jedinak and their shitty pass completion rate on the scrap heap. 

If you used statistics, would you sign Jack Grealish? Whoscored.com gave him a 6.4 rating against Brighton. Six point four. I know I know, sample size. Food for thought regardless.

I see stats as a support tool or a reason to be encouraged to go and watch them, before setting out on what could be a wasted journey.

they save time and avoid "wild goose"chases.

• Like 1

Good insight into the new direction we are going in. 

More confirmation of the neglect Lerner showed this club. And some believed he always had our best interest at heart. 

So glad we seem to be moving on with a string owner and a strong plan. 

35 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Round is doing some excellent work in the back ground at the club trying to put in the structures that should be a given but which are utterly absent at Villa.

Lots of personnel changes including a return to the Villa fold for Richard Hill who it seems is coming back in scouting role. Some won't remember him but he was part of Brian Little's backroom staff in the 90's and you'd assume he has had a hand in his return.

Looks like he is joining to scout non league which is a good move as there have been a few gems from there in recent years.

Any idea on what littles role is mate? I hope they intending to keep him around

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Round is doing some excellent work in the back ground at the club trying to put in the structures that should be a given but which are utterly absent at Villa.

Lots of personnel changes including a return to the Villa fold for Richard Hill who it seems is coming back in scouting role. Some won't remember him but he was part of Brian Little's backroom staff in the 90's and you'd assume he has had a hand in his return.

Looks like he is joining to scout non league which is a good move as there have been a few gems from there in recent years.

It seems Steve Harrison has returned too.He gained a reputation as a good defensive coach whilst with Graham Taylor.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Good insight into the new direction we are going in. 

More confirmation of the neglect Lerner showed this club. And some believed he always had our best interest at heart. 

So glad we seem to be moving on with a string owner and a strong plan. 

some have a panoramic mental view others just peep through the curtains.....I think you know which one Lerner was.

Edited by TRO

I thought Harrison was Gregory's assistant?

Edit - yep. I remember him leaving, I'm sure he went to Middleborough. Very popular guy and had a reputation for being an excellent coach at the time, a players man. Worth a read:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-serious-impression-of-a-smile-minded-coach-1180485.html%3Famp?client=ms-android-motorola

BIRMINGHAM Airport, Monday morning. A man in a suit and spectacles strides purposefully round and round the departure lounge as the Aston Villa squad await their flight to Spain for the Uefa Cup match with Celta Vigo.

Although the laughter increases each time he passes, he maintains the fixed expression of a statue. It is as if he is on loop, like an extra in The Truman Show. When he finally sits down, the players cheer.

Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of Steve Harrison, coach and comedian to the court of John Gregory. Under their partnership, Villa have set the pace in the Premiership and on Tuesday took a 1-0 lead over Celta

Cont...

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I thought Harrison was Gregory's assistant?

He was here under GT MK 1 era. I think that is when he did his infamous 'shit in a teacup'?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

He was here under GT MK 1 era. I think that is when he did his infamous 'shit in a teacup'?

Wasn't that with England? 

I've read that Paul Gascoigne thinks he's the funniest bloke he's ever met and having met Gazza myself I can safely say that's high praise. 

I like what we're doing here. Harrison is another Villa man who understands the fabric of the club. Combined with Taylor and Little having some influence at a high level, it's beginning to feel like Aston Villa again. I know that's not worth a shit on paper, but I'm a sucker for those intangibles. 

• Like 3

Round said he's as good a defensive coach as there is in the country and he was at home doing nothing. He's now coaching our young defenders, working with the occasional first teamer when Bruce requests it and doing a bit of scouting for us too. 

• Like 3

They’ve gone too analytical and too data-minded and a lot of people are paying the price for it.....

.....head of department Sean Kimberley – who I must say has done an outstanding job on the resources and the neglect he’s worked under in the past few years....

no chief scout between 10-16....

.....historically, Villa has led the way in youth development and we need to get back to that....

.....the kids were talented and hungry, I think maybe we’ve gone away from that.

Those for me are the most important quotes. It makes me furious that we managed to regress so much under Lerner even with all that money sloshing around in the prem. The (mis)management of the club was staggering. Lerner spent millions refurbishing bodymoor heath and yet let the actual youth development rot. Inept is s too small a word for what has happened at our football club. I hope Round stays he for a while to turn this shambles around. Promising stuff so far- though Tom Fox sounded like he knew what was talking about so lets wait and see eh?

• Like 1

It all sounds brilliant! "We need to remember Villa is a Football Club" - Hopefully that leads to us having a better badge too since the current monstrosity was apparently due to developing "AVFC" as a brand. We need ASTON VILLA back on that bitch!

Also, I thought KMAC had left? He is mentioned here.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Â