The retro gaming thread!

BOF

First game I ever played was some terrible handheld space invaders/asteroids knock off thing my dad had with glowing red graphics on a black screen. 

First ever console was a Master System II - Alex Kidd built in and the only other game we got was Wonder Boy.

Then the next Christmas me and my brother got a GameBoy each - Must have got the same deal around a similar time as hogso with Kirby, the football game & Tetris, then I also got tennis, Star Wars, Killer Instinct and SMB1-3. Great times. Remember spazzing out over getting the screen magnifying/light up thing.

Then when I was about 14 I think? we got the psx and everything changed. It had already been out about 5 years by the time I got one, which was when gran turismo 2 launched. Got gt2 and the awful Le Mans game with it. Cue 3 years of solid gaming which pretty much ruined me as a person and laid the foundations for the shut in, anti social **** wit I've become today. But it led to FFIX which is the best game ever made so it's a fair trade off.

N64 next and while I played most games, to me it was pretty much the WWF No Mercy machine. 

PS2 was next and much like the psx, cue more years of lack of sunlight and serious gaming during my formulative years. Too many games to mention.

Next though was my favourite console of all time - the GameCube. Oh my days the GameCube, what I'd do to discover that little box of joy and it's games from the start all over again. My favourite gaming years. 

Last console I'd call retro was the original Xbox. Halo, PGR, Fable, Half Life 2 etc... loved it.

In between I dabbled with PC gaming (medal of honour, c&c etc...) but never got on with it, had a few different iterations of gameboy/gba/ds and the psp etc... But 1999-2006 were my golden years, GameCube being the highlight and everything since has just been iterative improvements on what's come before imo. Still fantastic mind and I loved my PS3 but you don't seem to get the technological leaps or 'wow' moments much anymore. I'm not enjoying this 'every game is a focus tested, market researched open world game' current gen half as much as generations gone by I have to say. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, BOF said:

Chaos : Battle of Wizards

Julian 'X-Com' Gollop, the Godfather of turn based games.

The only game in my toolbar. Think I found the TZX somewhere?

'Rebelstar Raiders' followed.

You know the one spell you never got in the book?

Spoiler

Turmoil - But the game was effectively over if there was too much blob or fire on the screen. I've tried with vastly more powerful computers running at many times the speed since. It still struggles. It's fecking hard above level 6, the wizards are rock hard and always seem to have ability, sometimes ability 2.

Safe to say that the frightening mixture of Nick Cave and Sacha Baron Cohen pictured below:

hqdefault.jpg

Is one of my earliest musical heroes. The fantastic game soundtracks that he managed to get out of a C64 were astonishing for the time and technology.

So here's a nice long mix to take those of a certain age back:

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Anyone else play chips challenge? Think it was free on windows 95.

YES!

Brilliant game :D

And other classics such as Rescue Rover and the original Duke Nukem and Commander Keen games

On 11/29/2016 at 16:57, Designer1 said:

Safe to say that the frightening mixture of Nick Cave and Sacha Baron Cohen pictured below:

hqdefault.jpg

Is one of my earliest musical heroes. The fantastic game soundtracks that he managed to get out of a C64 were astonishing for the time and technology.

So here's a nice long mix to take those of a certain age back:

I was a Rob Hubbard fan from the soundtracks he did when he went to EA. John Madden, EA Hockey, Road Rash, Desert Strike etc

Â