The retro gaming thread!

BOF

My CV for devices is very small.

Spectrum - SNES & Megadrive (Oh yes, I doubled up) - Playstation (briefly, but sold it a short while later as needed the cash)

Aside from PC's and laptops, that's it. I am considering dipping my toes into the world of modern consoles...

This may be a bit of a ramble.

I started on the MSX when I was about 7. Got one for Christmas. One of these:

sony_hb75p_1.jpg

The specs was slightly better than the Spectrum ZX but not quite as good as the C64. IIRC the C64 had the better graphics chip than anything else but the MSX had the better CPU and sound chip.

I used to write stuff in MS-BASIC and made a few decent (for me) games at the time. Took ages to code sprites in BASIC and I hated arrays (dims) at that time as I couldn't get my head around them.

I now realise that the MSX was a standard published by Microsoft that manufacturers could build to and guarantee compatibility between systems, where other platforms were closed. It was the precursor to the IBM PC standard and it was pushed by Microsoft and MS-BASIC was an early version of VB :o I feel a bit dirty now..

I remember doing the RUN CAS: after rewinding the tape, pressing play, putting the volume as high as it would go without distorting, rewinding again then pressing play with the earphone jack plugged in. 

Right, you retro gamers. I need help remembering the name of an arcade game I used to play in the early 90's!

It was a platform adventure game. Character was a cartoony kid. It wasn't Alex Kidd, but the game was similar. Any immediate ideas?

45 minutes ago, Xela said:

Right, you retro gamers. I need help remembering the name of an arcade game I used to play in the early 90's!

It was a platform adventure game. Character was a cartoony kid. It wasn't Alex Kidd, but the game was similar. Any immediate ideas?

Need a bit more to go on.

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Guessing it was probably Wonder boy but could also have been Wardner

Both mid to late 80's but were still around in a few chip shops & video shop arcades in the early 90's

• Like 1

Talking of Wonder Boy. This is one of the best games ever made. Probably because it's the first game I played which is now known as a Metroidvania style game where you would have to revisit old areas after unlocking certain skills. I'd genuinely like to see a really well made remake of it. 

Wonder_Boy_III_-_The_Dragon's_Trap_boxart.jpg

• Like 1

The restaurant in our neighbourhood had two arcade games which games they changed sometimes. The ones I remember the most was Bubble Bobble and Ghost & Goblins.

One I remember fondly from Spectrum was the game Sabouteur. It aged badly :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Spoiled only child by any chance?

:D

Nope, not at all. I have two siblings and my family was pretty poor.

I just had a Dad who was mad about computers and car boot sales :D

I played most of them years and years after they came out. While everyone else was playing NES I was still rocking the Spectrum 128K and the rest of them.

The only one of those machines that was actually "mine" (as in specifically bought for me) was the NES

Edited by Stevo985

Â