The retro gaming thread!

BOF

On 01/10/2018 at 09:58, omariqy said:

I haven't. IMO you are better off getting a Nvidia Shield which is twice as powerful and has lots of other functionality. The games run much smoother on it and the app download costs £20 so overall you are in a better position £££ wise. 

This sets you back quite a bit of cash though £180?

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

This sets you back quite a bit of cash though £180?

The elite console is just a mid budget android box with the app on it and it costs the same as the elite console. You are better off getting the shield (top of the range android box) which I think you can get for around £150. 

• 3 weeks later...

PS Classic lineup

We previously highlighted five fan-favorites – Final Fantasy VII, Jumping Flash, Ridge Racer Type 4, Tekken 3, and Wild Arms. Here’s the full list of titles that fans can now look forward to playing:

• Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Mr Driller
  • Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
  • Rayman
  • Resident Evil Director’s Cut
  • Revelations: Persona
  • Ridge Racer Type 4
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tekken 3
  • Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
  • Twisted Metal
  • Wild Arms

Sony

Hmm. I don't think that is the best lineup in the world. To say the least.

• Haha 1

It's likely the best lineup they could get given publishers hold all the power now.

Personally I was expecting an absolute trash line up so the fact it's decent is good enough for me.

Destruction Derby, Metal Gear Solid, Syphon Filter, Ridge Racer Type 4 and a few others all in one place is like enough to get me to buy one. I know that I could likely fire up my PS3 and download all of these from the PlayStation Store, but novelty plays a part here for sure. 

Shame there's no Wipeout and Ape Escape. I'll presume that there were issues with those for whatever reason. I also see that the Japanese version has Parasite Eve on it - a game never released officially in Europe. It's a shame it isn't on our version, it's a really very good Horror RPG. There aren't exactly many games like it.

i can remember toshinden, it was a 3D fighter, wasnt anything special though i think, not as good as tekken, virtua fighter or killer instinct

mr driller, qube, jumping flash not a clue, twisted metal, persona and rainbow six i know the series rather than those games, wild arms and rayman i know but didnt play

there are some great games on there that i played to death at the time and that i've played again since (FF7 several times since) i think its only GTA and syphon filter that i want to play again, syphon filter i want a new PS4 game but the studio is currently doing days gone (which is struggling by the sounds of it, release date delayed because the polish isnt there)

1 hour ago, villarule123 said:

This might be controversial but I think if you could pick any 20 games from the PS1 and N64 then the N64 comes out on top by far for me. 

Again I'm biased because I played much more N64 than Playstation, but I would agree 100%.

as a PS1 owner im going to politely disagree ;) same as every nintendo console, some of the best games ever but simply not enough, if you said 5 games or maybe at a stretch 10 then you would have a strong argument but 20? no way, from game rankings - 

N64 - zelda OOT, super mario 64, goldeneye, perfect dark, zelda MM, 1080 snowboarding, conkers bad fur day, excite bike, turok 2, paper mario, diddy kong racing, mario kart 64, RE2, donkey kong 64, WWF no mercy, WWF wrestlemania, spider man, 007 world is not enough, jet force gemini, pokemon stadium

PS1 - tekken 3, GT, tony hawk 2, tony hawk, MGS, RE2, FF9, GT 2, FF7, chrono cross, vagrant story, crash team racing, xenogears, spyro, ape escape, FF8, colin mcrae, Madden 2001, RE3, RR4, soul reaver

for some non bias comparisons N64 has 5 games ranking higher than 90%, PS1 has 15, N64 has 18 games higher than 80%, PS1 has 63

nintendo never has the content

The problem with the ps1 mini compares to the snes mini is really that most of the early polygonal 3d games look like shit and have pretty awful controls, especially compared to the games of today. The snes games always generally played well with simple controls and look as good, bright & colourful as it was possible to get 2d game to look for the most part so they have aged more favourably than the ps1 games despite being older

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

PlayStation Classic had been given an absolute shoeing in reviews. Not only does it have a pretty feeble lineup of games, it seems they've really half arsed it. A bunch of the games are taken from PAL sources, which means those games run poorly, and they've gone barebones on the emulator they've used making the graphics even worse than they would be otherwise.

Obviously it's also not helped that a lot of these games really haven't aged well. It's often said that the first generation of 3d games don't hold up. But it's really starkly evident with this. Things like Cool Boarders genuinely hurts to look at on this.

It's hard to escape the thought that this thing has been chucked out half arsed to make a quick buck after Nintendo's success. But seems to have missed the part where Nintendo did it well.

15 hours ago, hogso said:

Using the PAL source for some games is criminal. Thank goodness I didn't order one. 

But didn't we all play the PAL versions growing up?

It looks like the n64 classic won't be coming out any time soon.

Â