The retro gaming thread!

BOF

18 hours ago, BOF said:

I know. I was just playing. It's such a debatable topic; best football game ever. For me it's Dino Dini's Kick Off 2 by an absolute mile. With Sensible World of Soccer second and Dino Dini's Goal! third. 

Player Manager on the Amiga was my favourite Dino Dini game.

I adored Kick Off 2 (never enjoyed Sensible Soccer anywhere near as much) but I lost an incredible amount of hours to PM as it was such a perfect combo of stripped back football management and terrific pitch action (using the KO2 engine of course).

• Like 2

Pro Evo 4 was my all time fave. Prior to that ISS 2 was sublime. 

I also miss LMA Manager. Stadium building was great on that.

I also had a manager game I was devoted to that I’m sure had Bobby Robson on the front, sprite based graphics and late 90’s I think. I loved designing stadiums on that game. Can’t remember which one it was though. 

Edit: Found it, Fifa Soccer Manager 1997. Amazing game.

Edited by Ingram85

ISS 98 has a special place in my heart.

That was when FIFA had comprehensively failed to make the jump to N64 (FIFA 64 was legendarily shit) so ISS was the king on N64.

Got ISS 98 bundled in with my N64 and played it a ridiculous amount.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

ISS 98 has a special place in my heart.

That was when FIFA had comprehensively failed to make the jump to N64 (FIFA 64 was legendarily shit) so ISS was the king on N64.

Got ISS 98 bundled in with my N64 and played it a ridiculous amount.

Fifa 64. Now that is memory lane. Brought that with extreme g for my my n64 well my dad did for me and my bro as a  xmas present. 

Fifa 64 was absymal. One of the worst footballing games I've ever played. For  console at the time to release a football game that bad. Awful

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Fifa 64. Now that is memory lane. Brought that with extreme g for my my n64 well my dad did for me and my bro as a  xmas present. 

Fifa 64 was absymal. One of the worst footballing games I've ever played. For  console at the time to release a football game that bad. Awful

I hope ‘Santa’ brought you and your bro, something better that year

12 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Best/cheapest way to play the original Tomb Raider Games? 1 - Chronicles.

Should beable to buy the 5 games on ebay for about £30 and lots of people bundle them together, failing that CEX have them listed for around the same price individually. Guess that requires you to have a ps1 but they can easily be had for £20 or less from any 2nd hand/pawn type shop too so £50 would pretty much do it and you should be able to get most of your £ back when you're done.

There are also psx emulator options i guess if you don't want to spend anything

It won't look great, You can get modified RGB scart cables which would help a bit but they are about £20 and i'm guessing if you have a 4k screen it probably doesn't even have a scart socket anyway.

You could maybe try them on ps2 instead as they should play the old ps1 games and have more options for better quality video out

You could try a component cable which would boost the quality but some tv's may not have the connections so the solution would be a ps2/hdmi converter at around (about £5) that may do the trick but make sure you get one that converts component or svideo and buy the appropriate cable (should be about £5 for a cheap one) rather than the crappy standard composite av lead

You can also get them on pc for £2-3 each but you'll need something that can run winxp/pre xp games so this may be an issue

Edited by LakotaDakota

1 hour ago, hogso said:

Would it not be a lot easier to use the backwards compatibility of the PS3? Or is Chronicles a game that the emulation doesn't get quite right? 

I don't think PS3 had backwards compatibility did it?

I remember breaking out a few of my PS2 games to play on my PS3 and they wouldn't work.

45 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I remember breaking out a few of my PS2 games to play on my PS3 and they wouldn't work.

The PS3 was backwards compatible with PS1 games. The original 60gb console had PS2 backwards compatibility, but that was removed for all other releases of the console as they dropped the chipset that allowed those games to be played.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

All PS3s can play ps1 games out of the box - just stick the game disk in and you're good to go.  Think some of the earlier versions also allowed PS2 games (aha, found a link here) but the slim versions had the functionality removed.

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The PS3 was backwards compatible with PS1 games. The original 60gb console had PS2 backwards compatibility, but that was removed for all other releases of the console as they dropped the chipset that allowed those games to be played.

Yup but be careful if you are buying a 60gb PS3 now as they had lots of issues. If you get one that works well then cherish it.  I have been using retro x on my Shield and it works great for PS1 games. It's limit is probably the gamecube though. 

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Just now, CardiffGreens said:

All PS3s can play ps1 games out of the box - just stick the game disk in and you're good to go.  Think some of the earlier versions also allowed PS2 games (aha, found a link here) but the slim versions had the functionality removed.

Ah gotcha. It was only the PS2 games I was trying so that explains it. I never owned a PS1.

• Like 1

The Tomb Raider talk reminded me of the (really good) DF Retro series on YouTube. One of the guys from Digital Foundry goes through the history, development and technical analysis of various classic games and comparing different releases, usually including the best ways to play those games today.

Even when it gets techy it's really interesting seeing the tricks used to make these old titles. The Saturn version of Tomb Raider, for instance (and as the video shows), was really pushing the console and had a very bizarre way of building the environment - square pixels that subdivide as you get close to them, giving really bad texture warping.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers guys, will see if I can get myself a cheap ps3 second hand from somewhere then. In terms of image quality on the ps3 will it be better than ps1/crt tv or will it be blurry like ala GameCube games on the Wii played on a modern TV set? 

On 20/09/2018 at 15:19, Unused Sub said:

Sensible was great. With the added bonus of the fake names - N.Sponk, B.Smell.

Matchday II on the Amstrad was the greatest for me.

I bummed out of games from PS-One as games got too complicated to play!

P.Once was the best one!

• Haha 1

Â