The retro gaming thread!

BOF

Bought Zelda ALttP on my 3ds. Never played it in my life, always been a bucket list of gaming type thing for me so going to spend all of tomorrow playing it for the first time ever.

• Like 1

Anyone else remember this one?  I played it until it broke.  I remember scoring over 600 with one player before the game crashed never to work again.  Obv the person playing in this video doesn't have a clue how to play, but it was deceptively brilliant.  The best cricket game ever imo, and if you remember it, boy does it date you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Man, I really need to get my hands on a SNES Classic. Damn resellers selling them for double the price ugh. Why can't Nintendo just make a lot since there's clearly such a high demand for it.

It is good but there are games that are lame and great ones left off which is annoying. Like that Mario stars game. What a pile of shit that is

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

It is good but there are games that are lame and great ones left off which is annoying. Like that Mario stars game. What a pile of shit that is

You can hack it in like 3 minutes to include 400 games. I wouldn't buy it otherwise. No Chrono Trigger is a dealbreaker for me.

What is this Mario stars game? Super Mario RPG?

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

You can hack it in like 3 minutes to include 400 games. I wouldn't buy it otherwise. No Chrono Trigger is a dealbreaker for me.

What is this Mario stars game? Super Mario RPG?

I cNt remember exactly mario and the 9 stars i think?

As for hacking it why bother? You might as well buy a modded console with all those games, nes n64, old arcades, megadrive etc

I got one of those and well worth the £70

8 hours ago, Straggler said:

Anyone else remember this one?  I played it until it broke.  I remember scoring over 600 with one player before the game crashed never to work again.  Obv the person playing in this video doesn't have a clue how to play, but it was deceptively brilliant.  The best cricket game ever imo, and if you remember it, boy does it date you.

You could bowl the computer for under 20 runs by placing a fielder where that red line is on the bottom right of the wicket. They would run out any straight drive played. The challenge was to score a four against the fielding as the computer almost never mis-fielded and took perfect routes to the ball. I still have my copy on disk (think it came on an ST Format disk) and there is a emulated version out there.

• Like 1

Is age of empires old enough to be considered retro. I recently bought AoE2 as i loved it as a kid. 

Still incredibly hard to master and still a lot of people playing it online. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Is age of empires old enough to be considered retro. I recently bought AoE2 as i loved it as a kid. 

Still incredibly hard to master and still a lit of people playing it online. 

I'd say so, its about 20 years old isn't it? AoEII was fantastic. 

6 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I'd say so, its about 20 years old isn't it? AoEII was fantastic. 

Not quite sure, early 2000s I think. Its now a HD version (which is not HD lol but is improved graphics). My Mrs hates the game, can't understand why I would spend hours building houses, mining gold, building farms etc then get upset when the AI comes and destroys everything. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Haha 1

On 11/24/2017 at 23:55, RunRickyRun said:

You could bowl the computer for under 20 runs by placing a fielder where that red line is on the bottom right of the wicket. They would run out any straight drive played. The challenge was to score a four against the fielding as the computer almost never mis-fielded and took perfect routes to the ball. I still have my copy on disk (think it came on an ST Format disk) and there is a emulated version out there.

Sadly I can't quite remember where I put them, but you could place 2 or 3 fielders in a row right next to the batsman. If you bowl to that side of the wicket and the batsman hit the ball the first fielder would slow it down and the second or third would take the catch.  It worked 80% of the time every time.

Growing up with a Master system II with Alex Kidd built in, plus Bomber Raid and Bonanza brothers before moving onto a Nes.

Mario bros 2 & 3, Teenage Ninja turtles arcade edition, Snake Rattle 'n Roll, Paperboy, Donkey Kong classics & Boulder dash..

..but the best of all :-

2361871-nes_superoffroad.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Got the SNES classic. Hacked it...have about 300 SNES and Genesis games on it. Absolutely worth the ~$100 I paid for it.

Why not just get a modded console where ypu get over 5000 with all consoles and arcades up to n64?

On 26/11/2017 at 21:15, Villan_of_oz said:

Still incredibly hard to master and still a lot of people playing it online. 

Age of Empires is retro until they release the Definitive Edition in 2018 with updated visuals, gameplay and audio at that point I would consider it a modern title again.

Age of Empires 2 and 3 will be getting Definitive Edition remasters as well in 2018/19 ahead of the much anticipated Age of Empires 4 release so in my mind they are retro until they are given ultra modern re-releases. 

Â