Gaming in 2017

Dodgyknees

My issue with what I just watched is that the core game hasn't changed at all. Yes it's now open-world, but it's still the same "thousands of dudes stood still waiting to die" hack n' slash it's always been.

I used to love Dynasty Warriors and I probably put 800 hours into Dynasty Warriors 2 back in the day, but every game since has been largely the same story, largely the same characters and largely the same gameplay all with slight visual upgrades. Now I give them credit for making it open world, but I see nothing here that makes me think it's not just Dynasty Warriors 8 without loading screens. These one note games need to do more as this stuff was rad in 2002, but it's just very monotonous at least to me these days. Watching that video and seeing the vast army just stand there while one man kills everyone isn't fun is it? Maybe I just get "it" anymore.

I am happy though for fans of Dynasty Warriors that they'll be getting something that may feel new and fresh, but I don't see myself getting it not unless they show something truly mind blowing between now and launch. 

Edited by Daweii
  • Like 1

Yeah, as I've said before - now you can button mash in a open world, which I guess might be a kind of improvement.

I see from sales figures for the UK released recently that for the first 6 months of the year the best selling game (all formats) has been...GTA V. Horizon Zero Dawn came in at 3, I think, which is damn good.

• 4 weeks later...

I had almost, but not entirely given up hope that HL3 would ever be released. But the lead writer of Half Life has just put this up, which pretty much confirms it'll never be made:

https://github.com/Jackathan/MarcLaidlaw-Epistle3/blob/master/Epistle3_Corrected.md

In some ways, it's a shame that Steam was so successful.

• Like 1

I saw that earlier. I'm surprised we don't have a Half Life thread actually.

I'd given up on it ages ago. But that confirms it's dead. A shame as it could have been magnificent, and that outline suggests a lot of promise.

A bit about Valve has leaked out recently. Little good. They are basically dead as a developer. Why make huge budget stuff when Steam, DOTA and TF2 hats will rub the company for you? They claim to have used that to let employees develop what they want but... Well... Where are these projects? The last thing they announced was a bloody Hearthstone knock off wasn't it?

On 26/08/2017 at 09:00, villarule123 said:

Simplygames strikes again.. Everybody's Golf 4 days early :D

Well? Start a new thread and get a review up, man!

Really getting in to Dead By Daylight. Simple, but compelling gameplay, just the right formula for me to play one game, but still be there 10 games later.

Absolutely horrifying though. I was playing it last night with the door shut, lights off, curtains closed...I was getting chased by the killer, when my clearing in the woods of a cat jumped on to the back of my chair. I must have woke the neighbours.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 18/05/2017 at 09:52, LakotaDakota said:

Quoting myself i know but Prey is already down to £29.99 in Game and they are now also including the steelbook case & soundtrack cd at that price,

Not even 2 weeks at full price. Every bethesda game is the same.

Random requote of another quote but following on from every bethesda game ever :

Wolfenstein 2 & Evil within 2 are both down to £20 each in Games black friday deals after already being dropped to £30 for the past week or two (tesco also doing them for £21 and imagine others will also follow suit)

Do not buy a Bethesda game on release ever. All of them are £30 2 weeks after release, £20 within a month and usually £10 within 2 months

Â