Your Top 10 gaming list of all time

Dante_Lockhart

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

id say my one a bit out there that came close because i absolutely loved it and as the only person i knew who had a 1st batch ps2 all my mates came to mine to play it, timesplitters, i sent ages on that game, really think that if internet gaming was what it is now then that game would have been massive

Timesplitters was brilliant!

I know I'm going to remember entries to this list as the day goes on, but I think this is fairly close to being the list that got me to where I am today!  Too many honourable mentions to remember, as I was a massive gamer back in the day.  As you can clearly see, I'm old school.

1 POD - PC - This game brought me to Arkansas (yes, really).  At my peak I was ranked IIRC #3 or 4 in the world.  The hours are uncountable.  The broken steering wheels are uncountable (5 actually).  Ubisoft had an absolute gem with this masterpiece and they singularly failed to get it out to the masses and to the audience that it deserved.  Nevertheless, they continued to release gorgeous new tracks and cars for years after its release, and it was an early example of an 'online game service'.  Stunning racing game with an excellent physics engine and is now a forgotten, or rather a 'never known' stone cold classic.
2 Kick Off 2 - Amiga - What's to say?  The Dino Dini classic.  The gameplay was unparalleled.  The goalkeepers were legendarily difficult.  The zipstick was the ONLY viable controller.  The memories of gangs of mates in sitting rooms playing world cup competitions.  Happy happy days.
3 Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix - Amiga - Truly a ground-breaking racing game when it came along.  The polygons are well dated now, but the gameplay isn't.  Was and still is one of the most playable and enjoyable racing games of all time and set the standard for everything that followed.  At my peak I could win races by just using the trackside cameras, I knew the tracks so well.
4 Championship Manager - PC - Perhaps the game I put most hours into (other than POD), in its various guises from the 92/93 version up to the 94/95 one including the Italian version and on into the more modern and technical ones.  I lost days in a row playing this and it's responsible for me supporting Cremonese !
5 Sensible World of Soccer - Amiga - The spiritual successor to Kick Off 2 and much more accessible (read : easier).  To be able to have the whole world of leagues to choose from was a dream come true to a footy nerd like me and I spent hours and hours devising ever more obscure tournaments and tweaking this and that.  A truly brilliant game for its time and probably still great fun now.
6 Street Fighter 2 - SNES - One of the most faithful arcade conversions I've ever seen, and to think they managed it on the relatively (by today's standards) humble Super NES.  Everything was almost perfecftly faithful to its coin-op cousin and this reminds me of my secondary school years dossing in my mates' gafs while they alternate between SF2 and Super Mario Kart.  I was never particularly good at it though.  I was more a Blanka user and that says enough to any SF2 afficionado.
7 Gran Turismo 4 - PS2 - Slightly later in my gaming life, the accuracy in this game and the choice of cars as my car-mad mate tweaked the suspension to infinitesimal degrees trying to eek out another tenth of a second for me.  This was another huge leap forward in racing games and it was nearly the only thing I played on my PS2 until GTASA came out later on.
8 Spy Hunter - Spectrum 48k - Probably the first game I got hooked on.  I got my 48k when I was 7 years old and Spy Hunter was part of a pack (gif) that came with it.  Still an all-time classic game and had to make this list really if I was to truly chart my gaming progression.
9 Sid Meier's Civilization - Amiga - What. a. game.  What a vast and thrilling game.  Another in the "I'll be here 'til Tuesday" line of computer games that I often let myself get hooked by.  I sank day after day into this one.  Many games followed it.  Populous et al.  But none ever quite captured the character of the original.
10 Fallout 3 - PC - The most modern of the games on the list and my introduction (and so far only attempt) into a proper sandbox world.  What a work of genius! Beautiful, atmospheric, immersive, tense, humourous, great soundtrack.  I had it recommended to me by a mate as it was a bargain bin purchase by the time I came along.  But it was a great example of where things had moved on to since I was a proper gamer.  It also showed me that I still have that gene where I can very easily get hooked on something and lose days of my life. 

Honourable mention
Mortal Kombat - Arcade - I finished it with every character.  That cost a pretty penny.  I was always better at this than at SF2 so for that I'll always be grateful!

EDIT : See?  I'm at it already.  I simply have to add Half Life in here.  Those of you who weren't gaming when this was released simply cannot appreciate the quantum leap that was made by this game.  Overnight it made everything that had gone before completely redundant and antiquated.  In fact it took years for anything else to match it.  Definitely one of the single most important games ever made, and it goes without saying one of the very best and most copied too.  I love love loved that game.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

my probably best game ive never played would be chrono trigger

How so?

Point Blank and Shadow of Memories are games I enjoyed an awful lot, but haven't thought about for years and years. In a similar vein to those, how about, respectively, Die Hard Trilogy and Fahrenheit?

Stunt Car Racer, Turrican, Manic Miner, 4 player Atomic Bomberman, Rainbow Islands, Chase HQ, TOCA 2 Touring Cars, Midnight Resistance, Green Beret, Ghosts & Goblins, Commando, North & South, Nitro, Speedball 2, Chaos Engine, Xenon 2, R-Type, First Samurai, Moonstone.  Oh man the list is endless.  What a well-spent childhood :D 

• Like 1

Just now, Nigel said:

Any list which does not include Ocarina of Time, mario cart, goldeneye and red dead redemption is wrong.

Sorry for arriving late with the new rules!

I mentioned [Super] Mario Kart :D Never played the others.

7 minutes ago, BOF said:

I mentioned [Super] Mario Kart :D Never played the others.

Then you sir need to take a month off work

EDIT - Hmmm.....Red Dead.....better make it 3!

Edited by Nigel

Wow this is tough.

1. Mario 64 - Nintendo 64 - Visually stunning and way ahead of anything at the time, it had worlds so incredibly detailed and immersive that I still have dreams based around them now. Huge game too considering the amount of storage and work it required at the time. Still awesome to play now

2. GTA3 - PS2 - Another paradigm shift in gaming. Pushed the PS2 very hard (slightly too hard in some circumstances). Nothing else had such an immersive 3d real life world where you could actually go outside of the script of the game. Before this everything had rules and boundaries, this removed them. They kept on opening more and more possibilities in this game that it's amazing they managed to fit so much in with the Dodo where you could fly a plane for a bit, all of the real cars with alternative names that made it a superb driving game in its own right, the amazing storyline, the music on the radio, everything. Later games in the franchise were incrementally better but this took us from 2d top down or side scrolling platformers to open world sims.

3. Sonic the Hedgehog - Megadrive - Again another big jump in gaming. Lovely levels, great design, great music. Before this we had things like Mario 1 and 2 and Altered Beast. This blew them away graphically.

4. Super Marioworld - SNES - 96 worlds of pure joy every step of the way. Sublime

5. Zelda 3 a Link to the Past - SNES - Brilliantly immersive story and fantastic design. The later Zeldas were possibly better but this is my all time favourite in that line.

6. Half-Life - PC - Purely for the multiplayer and deathmatch stuff which spawned all the Counterstrike and similar mods and expansions. The engine made it all possible. The actual story game was great too and my favourite was Opposing Force

7. Super MarioKart / MarioKart 64 / MarioKart 8 - Various - Difficult to choose between these as they're all excellent for different reasons. The SNES version with the SuperFX chip pushed parallax 3d into the mainstream. 64 for the fantastic implementation of the 3d tracks and MarioKart 8 for being possibly the most polished game I've ever seen.

8. EA Hockey / John Madden / Desert Strike - Megadrive - Spent lots of my youth on these 3. Both games you could play for hours pushed into the realm of greats possibly by the Rob Hubbard soundtracks

Probably about it

• Like 3

In no particular order, and sorry if cheating to include all MGS 1,2,3 as one game but, meh

1) Metal Gear Solid 1,2,3 (PS1/PS2)

2) Skyrim (Xbox 360)

3) Mass Effect 2 (Xbox 360)

4) Mario Kart (Wii)

5) Far Cry 3 (Xbox 360)

6) The Last of Us HD (PS4)

7) Limbo (Xbox 360)

8) Championship/Football Manager (PC)

9) Age of Empires: Age of Kings (PC)

10) Gran Turismo (PS1)

Probably forgotten a load, but oh well

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

age more than anything i think, it came out mid 90s, i was an avid snes gamer but i didnt really get in to JRPGs until i fell for the FF7 hype in about 98 i think

You should try it on iOS/Android, it really is excellent - although I think Terranigma is a better game, but that's never been given the re-release treatment, and never will. Sincerely hope both Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana are included on the Mini SNES, although if I had to I'd predict the inclusion of FFVI over either.

On the subject, always thought Chrono Cross was given a hard time, it's a very solid game. I suppose it would have been better if it wasn't related to Trigger at all , so didn't have that added expectation.

• Like 1

This is solid!  I could list 10 games that have dominated my life at one point or anything, but cannot order them at all.  Therefore...

Zelda - Ocarina Of Time (N64)
Goldeneye 64 (N64)
Super Mario Kart (SNES)
Championship Manager - specifically 2003/04 (PC)
GTA 3 (PC)
GTA San Andreas (PS)
Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
Pro Evolution Soccer 5 (PS2)
Command & Conquer Red Alert (PC)
Theme Hospital (PC)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

Paging @Tegis. As a fellow Amiga man of a *cough* similar vintage to myself, I'm looking forward to your list too ! :) 

Oh you mother******, this will take some thought

1 minute ago, Tegis said:

Oh you mother******, this will take some thought

I've 2 posts above.  The 2nd is more a brain fart of some other classics that didn't make the final cut :D

4 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Hard to pin them down and will regret not picking ones that jump into my head after pressing submit, in no particular ordeR:

1- Borderlands 2 - ps3 + ps4

2- Red Dead Redemption - ps3

3- Elite 2 Frontier - Amiga

4- Skyrim - PS3+PS4

5- Football Manager (&Championship Manager) across all years of Amiga and PC 

6- Streetfighter 2 (Super Nintendo)

7- Goldeneye - N64

8- Sensible World of Soccer - Amiga

9- Fallout 4- PS4

10- GTA V- PS4

edit- someone's probably reading this thinking w t f is Amiga. 

Double edit

11- Kick off 2 - Amiga

This Midfielder nutsack above, forgot to put Speedball 2 in on the Amiga.

Also, who recognises:

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 2

Â