Football Biographies

AJ

There has been a slight mention of biographies released throughout the threads, particularly Joey Barton, Roy Keane and Alex Ferguson. I am curious which past or present players, or personalities people would like to see release their biographies, and like to see get to tell their story. This thread will also provide the chance to  discuss already released biographies.

I have read both of Roy Keane's books, and that is probably the only football biography I have read. I enjoyed the second one more, as in the first one, he does come across as a bit of a dick. In the second one, he seems to realise this, and it comes across a lot more humble. He also says some things about Villa which to me seemed pretty accurate.

To be honest, I am not a big fan of biographies. I understand it is important, but the early days back story can be a bit dull, and you just wish they would hurry up and cut to the chase. You know what I mean. " I grew up in Fartsville and lived on Tourette St with my boring family which I will  hardly mention again and I had a pet donkey named Susan who was killed in a tragic wheelbarrow accident blah blah blah....." Sometimes the interesting things about footballers could be summed up in a 10 minute one on one interview, without raping half of the Amazon forest to find out that they hate runny poached eggs.

Anyway, here is my list.

Mark Bosnich. Gabby. Steve Bruce. Martin O'Neill. Paul Lambert. Each one for various reasons.

Also, if I find Joey Barton's book, I will read it.

• Like 1

must read IMO -

51RNElvnrcL._SX318_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

trying to think who else's ive read, Gods, bobby robsons, not many, my problem is i think they flower them up

as for ones id like to read, ronaldinho if he did it properly and told everything, beckhams but not yet, grealish once he's gone out in a blaze of glory ;) not a player but id be interested in tim vickery's if he ever did one about his time in south america

• Like 1

I would actually find a well researched biography of Lerner's 10 year spell here a pretty interesting read.

Hopefully there's a local journalist in the midlands who has some good contacts at the club who'd be up for it...I'd buy it at least.

Little stuff like why did he cut back so drastically and sudden (divorce, credit crunch, Man. City?), when the first cracks in his relationship with MON started up (I remember there was a report MON had resigned before Chelsea 7-1 in March 2010) and how close he came to selling in June 2014 which might at least have stopped us getting relegated.

If it's from someone like Pat Murphy or Gregg Evans then waste of time.

• Like 1

Ferguson's is a good read just because he doesn't hold back and slags everyone,as does Keane...and to a certain extent Carragher, his views on Houllier's signings was very amusing. That's what we want. Unless you are from an interesting back ground or era such as Brian Clough and McGrath (good reads) we don't care about your upbringing, your family or your success. We want to hear all the gossip.

Edited by rodders0223

It's really old now, but I enjoyed this one:

41AJAGY02PL._SX295_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Which is about three generations of Summerbees, ending with Nicky, who was obviously basically a bit crap but there you go. The stuff from older times is very interesting. 

Don't think I've ever read any others. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

I quite like reading the dedicated books on other major football nations....Brilliant Orange on Dutch football by David Winner I imagine a few on here would've read and I also really enjoyed reading Morbo by Phil Ball on Spanish football and its history. That came out in 2000 so just before La Liga became really popular in the U.K.

I did also get Tor which is on German football a while back but didn't read much of it and have now lost it so need to find it.

Big fan of Argentinian football so will be getting the new book on that by I think Johnathon Wilson for xmas.

As regards player autobios I think the best one in recent years was the Zlatan one.

Thanks for all the tips so far, everyone. My job occasionally requires me to go to the middle of nowhere sitting on my ass for long periods of time, so a good book goes a long way.

Cheers!

7 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Move mentioned the Barton one quite a bit on here lately, it's a really good read.

It is an interesting insight on both him and the game, very different to most football books I've read. 

Needs a new chapter mind....

Its because of your strong recommendation I am prepared to give it a go.

hard hitting honesty about the tough life of a footballer

‘When I heard Jonathan Barnett (player’s agent) repeat the figure of £55K, I nearly swerved off the road. He (former Arsenal Director David Dein) is taking the piss Jonathan! I yelled down the phone. I was so incensed. I was trembling with anger. I couldn’t believe what I’d heard.’

51JCPD6R69L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I quite like reading the dedicated books on other major football nations....Brilliant Orange on Dutch football by David Winner I imagine a few on here would've read and I also really enjoyed reading Morbo by Phil Ball on Spanish football and its history. That came out in 2000 so just before La Liga became really popular in the U.K.

I did also get Tor which is on German football a while back but didn't read much of it and have now lost it so need to find it.

Big fan of Argentinian football so will be getting the new book on that by I think Johnathon Wilson for xmas.

I liked graham hunter's barca book, it jumps around a bit but it certainly dispels some of the myths about barca, dont think enough people realise where they were pre laporta and pre pep compared to where they are now, he's updated it this year to cover the end of pep, tito's death, cruyff's death and martino, might give it another go, the couple of paragraphs about iniesta and messi joining mcleish's rangers was certainly interesting! he's also done a book on the rise of the national team which ive still not got round to reading

unfortunately balague seems to be doing books on the individuals such as messi, pep and ronaldo but because he's **** idiot im not reading them

might have a look at that argentina book

• Like 2

I really enjoyed reading McGrath's book, for anyone who followed Villa during his time here I would strongly encourage getting a copy.

Zlatan's is okay, he's a bit of a tosser to be fair (highlighted for me by how he dealt with his wife & child being hospitalised by playing Fifa on his playstation).

A great one, and less known is Fear and Loathing in La Liga, superb book on the history of Barca / Madrid and why there is so much animosity between the two, it transcends football really but it's still a football book.

On 11/15/2016 at 17:52, bannedfromHandV said:

I really enjoyed reading McGrath's book, for anyone who followed Villa during his time here I would strongly encourage getting a copy.

Zlatan's is okay, he's a bit of a tosser to be fair (highlighted for me by how he dealt with his wife & child being hospitalised by playing Fifa on his playstation).

A great one, and less known is Fear and Loathing in La Liga, superb book on the history of Barca / Madrid and why there is so much animosity between the two, it transcends football really but it's still a football book.

My wife brought me Fear and Loathing one Xmas, I agree a really good book that covers more than the football rivalry

Paul Mersons it shouldn't happen to a footballer is a great read.

Merse tells the story of how when he first signed for Boro from Arsenal they let him commute by train up to Darlington  from Stevenage...couple of months later they put their foot down and said he had to move up north....found him a house in Durham which he shared with......Gazza. :crylaugh:

I just read an article ob Andy Woodward who played for Crewe and Bury, and briefly for Sheffield Utd. Really sad. Sexually abused by his manager in the Crewe youth team, the manager went on to become his brother in law before being arrested as a serial pedophile. Mentions the guy managed Gary Speed back in the day, and it makes you wonder if that's the reason Speed took his life.

Also makes you wonder how rampant pedophilia is and has been in football over the years.

Â