Joey Barton

Barney_avfc

23 hours ago, AJ said:

Firstly, there are plenty of midfielders that will walk into our side, that don't come with the gamble of him touching up his own team mates, or being a disruption whenever he doesn't get his own way, whether it is on twitter or by just being a general tool. So  if he punches on with a Villa player, would you still consider him an asset?

Secondly, he doesn't do crunching tackles. He is an over rated dickhead that suffers from small man syndrome. A new midfielder is no good to us if he is sent off and suspended, then blames everyone else.

Your whole opinion is media based. Even your media timeline see's him not being in trouble for a number of seasons.

You or I have no idea of the actual circumstances surrounding all his incidents.  Yet you have made your mind up that he is a tool because of what you've read.

He is very open about his life, there's countless radio interviews plus his book where he tells it all. He comes across very well.

I think he could do a job here for sure. I think he may go else where though.

51 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

Your whole opinion is media based. Even your media timeline see's him not being in trouble for a number of seasons.

You or I have no idea of the actual circumstances surrounding all his incidents.  Yet you have made your mind up that he is a tool because of what you've read.

He is very open about his life, there's countless radio interviews plus his book where he tells it all. He comes across very well.

I think he could do a job here for sure. I think he may go else where though.

Of course my opinion is media based, as yours is. It depends on the information that we take in, and that is the beauty of individual opinions. Even though our opinions are at opposite poles, I will respect yours. Neither of us have met Mr Barton, so who knows, I may be pleasantly surprised, or you could be horrified if we got the chance.

Anyhoo, I consider the debate over. Pat Murphy ( that media guy) said he wasn't coming.

11 hours ago, AValon said:

Blimey, thats me told then. 

Avalon - I'm sorry if you thought my post was somehow trying to 'put you in your place' or 'tell you off.' That wasn't my intent at all. The Ched Evans business is something that I have observed from a distance with some interest and sails quite close to my heart. It's always likely to draw a 'wounded bear' reaction from me. Sorry. And for all the right reasons, I loved having Paul Merson with us - I thought he was a smashing player, and understood the addiction situation that led to his problems. Having experienced addiction (to two very different things) myself I can relate to what must have been going on for not only himself as a player or person, but also the ripple effect his actions had on other people.

With Barton, a player with such an overt series of issues demonstrated time after time, that is the difference for me. If he was here and playing, I would have no alternative but to support him for his game time. I would still question whether he is the right fit for us as a club. Given his record so far in British football, I think he could make a lot of money for himself in MLS. They like a good soap opera over there... Ched meanwhile seems to have got his head down and back into salvaging a reasonable football career with a lot less personal fuss. For that, I would cut him much more slack than the coffee machine bandit! :)

Peace be with you...

Edited by Raver50032
sausage fingers
  • Like 2

There are few other people in the world of Football who provoke such a reaction. He isn't even what's wrong with modern football, he is what's wrong with mankind. A horrible little **** who I hope never sets foot inside Villa Park ever again.

I'd rather not be promoted than sign him.*

*(Not that he would get us promoted in any case.)

• Like 2

Wouldn't go near him with a 20ft one. 

Not just because of his previous and the fact that he is a sh*tbag (he is).

But also because his powers to influence a game (such as they were) are on the decline. Smarter players who have a bit upstairs can still offer something; they become more pragmatic and figure out what they can and can't do. With his legs going, Barton is more likely to blame everyone around him for his own shortcomings and cause a commotion we could well do without.

We are a team that finally looks to be knitting together. Still some pretty fundamental weaknesses and areas for concern both in terms of personnel and resilience. But the last thing we need is a Barton picking at the scabs and phucking up what little bit of team spirit we have built up.  If ability-wise, he was so clearly a few notches above our level, there might be an argument to indulge him and let the slurry that pours out of his mouth ride.  But he isn't, so there isn't. 

• Like 2

Despite holding a quite severe dislike of the man (though it must be said that I have never met him and do not know him personally), I would have him here.

I would insert a clause that says we can terminate him at the drop of a hat should there be even the most minor of indiscretions, but I'd have him.

He was pivotal in Burnley getting promotion last season and I'd suggest he still has something  to offer.

He would be the anti-westwood, for all those Westwood haters.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2016 at 21:50, slovenian said:

I saw him play on my second visit of Villa Park. It was 10 years ago, Man City at Villa Park (we lost 1:3).

manc2v.jpg

He ran the show that night, MOTM - he was out standing, big future ahead for him i said... 10 years later, i'd love to see him in claret and blue but he's a huge risk.

Empty seats m'lord.

On 12/11/2016 at 13:09, sidcow said:

Can we please please close this thread?  My heart is in my mouth everytime I see it bumped

Upy5IBt.jpg

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Was that the game Sylvain Distin ran through our entire team to score?

Yep Vassell also inevitably scored.

I have a feeling Barton will go back to Burnley. Was surprised he left them (maybe felt he couldn't play in the prem anymore) but seems Dyche wants him back.

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yep Vassell also inevitably scored.

I have a feeling Barton will go back to Burnley. Was surprised he left them (maybe felt he couldn't play in the prem anymore) but seems Dyche wants him back.

indeed. gained a respect for man city away support that cold Wednesday night.

On 11/11/2016 at 06:29, AJ said:

Of course my opinion is media based, as yours is. It depends on the information that we take in, and that is the beauty of individual opinions. Even though our opinions are at opposite poles, I will respect yours. Neither of us have met Mr Barton, so who knows, I may be pleasantly surprised, or you could be horrified if we got the chance.

Anyhoo, I consider the debate over. Pat Murphy ( that media guy) said he wasn't coming.

I've actually met him and he is a very nice, affable guy. I get the feeling his social media alter ego is a front to just wind the media and the whole of football in general up. I'd be interested to see his disciplinary history regarding his on field antics but wouldn't be surprised if they weren't that bad and his off field shenanigans have translated into his game re: the media.