England v Scotland England v Spain

andykeenan

49 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

There are some qualifiers tonight I think, England just have the round off, can't play league games because it's still the FIFA break

Yeah, seems like the Americas + Asia have a full round of qualifying. 

2 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Let's not pretend like people have been saying they aren't interested for years. 

Personally, I think it's partly national glory hunting. It's no different than people who stop watching Villa when we weren't as good. Those people will likely watch again when we are decent, just like the people who "don't care" about the national team would watch if we were deep in a tournament.

I dont think that is entirely true. Look how awful Villa were last season and we still got decent numbers despite our bad start. I think people tend to have more love for their clubs then the national team. But with national team its different. these players play at top level and put in gutless performances at every tournament and get worse and worse as shown with iceland which was probably the biggest humiliation in our history. 

Even as a Greek, Greece have achieved more than England in the last 20 years. Bloody Greece!!! 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont think that is entirely true. Look how awful Villa were last season and we still got decent numbers despite our bad start. I think people tend to have more love for their clubs then the national team. But with national team its different. these players play at top level and put in gutless performances at every tournament and get worse and worse as shown with iceland which was probably the biggest humiliation in our history. 

Even as a Greek, Greece have achieved more than England in the last 20 years. Bloody Greece!!! 

I do love the contradictions with the national team though. Apparently these England players are "shit". Yet "fail" so often. Makes absolutely no sense. You can't be "shit" and "fail" if you regularly make tournaments.

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

There are some qualifiers tonight I think, England just have the round off, can't play league games because it's still the FIFA break

Yes Asia are playing (just watched S.Korea and Japan) but they could've played those games last week....

Americas also playing tonight but looking at the schedule they play two rounds in March and then nothing until September....surely they could play a round or two in June?

The international calendar could be organized far better.

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

I do love the contradictions with the national team though. Apparently these England players are "shit". Yet "fail" so often. Makes absolutely no sense. You can't be "shit" and "fail" if you regularly make tournaments.

Were Greece players particularly good? they won it?

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

The international calendar could be organized far better.

international football full stop could be organised better... the calendar wont be by me though, 211 teams, not sure how many leagues or qualifiers across the 6 areas, its a pretty thankless task, there are probably about 15 different league start dates across UEFA alone and the various FAs will no doubt insist on these rounds off to cram in a money spinning friendly, because thats what footballs all about

they're trialing video refs again tonight in the germany vs italy match :( hopefully there'll be a 50/50 "seen those given" type decisions that they spend a full 5 minutes rewatching 30 times before coming to the conclusion that they cant actually come to a conclusive answer so they might as well just stick to the refs original decision because that IMO is where its heading, always using the suarez dive vs guzan as an example, 10 refs and 10 video refs wont give the same decision on that, makes it a farce, we'll just get shit decisions made by a video ref instead

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

they're trialing video refs again tonight in the germany vs italy match :( 

I would hope that FIFA will purposely expose "video refs" as the nonsense idea that it is just to shut up people like everyone on SkySports who keep harping on about how great it would be. It's a terrible idea. Having video refs do reviews after games to punish cheats/divers is a good idea, so it'll never happen.

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

Great ball, Vardy lays it off to the right, immediately changes direction 90 degrees to the left and has to take two or three steps before he eventually finds a keeper to fall over. Should be a booking for the striker in my opinion.

How is it a dive? He held on to the ball, drew the keeper out and the keeper took him down and got nowhere near the ball. Clever play from the forward, madness from the keeper.

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

How is it a dive? He held on to the ball, drew the keeper out and the keeper took him down and got nowhere near the ball. Clever play from the forward, madness from the keeper.

The keeper had stopped coming. Vardy puts the ball to the keepers left and then has to change direction and head toward the keeper in order to fall over him. I'm amazed no one in the commentary team said so. If I was Spain I'd be fuming. 

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

The keeper had stopped coming. Vardy puts the ball to the keepers left and then has to change direction and head toward the keeper in order to fall over him. I'm amazed no one in the commentary team said so. If I was Spain I'd be fuming. 

and yet none of them were, not even Reina, he knew he fouled him.

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

and yet none of them were, not even Reina, he knew he fouled him.

I think he was unfortunate enough to be on the ground near enough for Vardy to get to him. In the end, it's not the keeper sliding into the player, it's the player running at a stationary, prone keeper and away from the ball.

Â