Pre match thread

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, carewjust4u said:

one of the only chances I get to attend an away fixture this year, so incredibly pumped....and we are actually in form!! (the last away fixtures i attended were arsenal 5-0 and southampton 6-1). Is there anything better in this life than being in that away end? (results pushed to one side)

third times a charm mate!! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NulliSecundus said:
8 hours ago, carewjust4u said:

one of the only chances I get to attend an away fixture this year, so incredibly pumped....and we are actually in form!! (the last away fixtures i attended were arsenal 5-0 and southampton 6-1). Is there anything better in this life than being in that away end? (results pushed to one side)

Great! Can you just not attend or something (your track record leaves a lot to be desired)!!!

@carewjust4u

Just tell the superstitious ones that you're not going.

Those who think superstition is a complete load of utter billhooks as if the football world can tell if "fred the fan" scratched his arse 4 times as opposed to 2 or 3 times before breakfast - meaning 

2 times = Loss

3 times = draw

4 times = Victory

• Like 1

Can you imagine if villa went a major run after this and then it came to final game for automatic promotion between 2nd place Brighton and 3rd place aston villa...

.the final league game? Brighton at Villa Park. Imagine if that happened? Could be a magical night at Villa Park

On 06/11/2016 at 22:56, John said:

Probably Brighton's toughest home test to date and unlike us they are not unbeaten at home. ;) 

They face a team that are unbeaten in 5 games having themselves won their last 4 games and remained unbeaten in the league for two months.

A Villa win would make the rest of the division sit up and realise that we are a force to be reckoned with now and a point would maintain our unbeaten run as well as their own. A defeat would not be something that we could not recover from before the end of the season and it is unlikely that we will finish this season without one or two more defeats. I would take a point now but I have a hankering for a win that will burst their bubble. 2-1 to us then!        

On 08/11/2016 at 00:07, John said:

Brighton last beat us in December 1980. We have won four and drawn one against them since then. Bring them on!

@JohnI like your style. The 2 most positive and optimistic posts in this thread.

I will add that they have not conceded in the last 4 games, that run has to stop some time so why not us? I am looking forward to Friday with excited anticipation.

Yup, indeed, bring them on.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hairdo said:

Who do we think takes Jedi's place? If indeed he doesn't play? Don't think that we have another DM. Think he might put one of the CB's there? Maybe Tommy in front of the back four.. wonder if he has ever played there

I am hoping Bacuna, not westwood please!!

On 12/11/2016 at 13:53, Demitri_C said:

Can you imagine if villa went a major run after this and then it came to final game for automatic promotion between 2nd place Brighton and 3rd place aston villa...

.the final league game? Brighton at Villa Park. Imagine if that happened? Could be a magical night at Villa Park

That would be a fantastic occasion. 

An atmosphere that would take me back years.

26 minutes ago, Hairdo said:

Who do we think takes Jedi's place? If indeed he doesn't play? Don't think that we have another DM. Think he might put one of the CB's there? Maybe Tommy in front of the back four.. wonder if he has ever played there

This will be an interesting selection problem for Bruce to solve considering the Brighton are a stern test for us.

Tish is the one for me, but moving Elphick to DM might work. No to westwood, Gardner maybe and Bacuna is a bit too "head down I'll take someone on" (a la the snake)

On 12/11/2016 at 13:53, Demitri_C said:

Just a thought

If Toon walk it - Brighton clinching 2nd with 2 games to go and we need the win to secure 6th.

I'd take that now

1 hour ago, Hairdo said:

I think Westwood, Gardner and quite probably from what I've seen of him thus far Tshibola are all defensive midfielders - they're all players that like the game in front of them, like to sit quite deep and play just in front of the back four. That might be a little harsh on Tshibola. 

In terms of a replacement for Jedinak, for me the choice is whether you play two of those three, all of them, or two plus Bacuna. I don't see any reason to bring a CB into the position.