Pre match thread

Demitri_C

Probably our toughest away test so far, provided we stay injury free we are capable of winning if we play well but I think this will be a tough one. Think this will be brucies first defeat. Gonna go for a 1-0 Brighton win. Would be delighted with a point. A win would be quite the statement

Some interesting selection problems for this one. The keeper and back four increasingly pick themselves - but I think we'll need three in the middle - you'd expect Gardner and Jedinak to be two of those, so either Tshibola or Westwood should come in (imo) - then up front there's a whopping great conundrum - pick three of these four - Kodjia, Ayew, Grealish and Adomah. For me I think at the moment Grealish is probably the man I'd drop out, but it's a toughie. It's also one I wouldn't be too surprised if we'll bottle by playing all four and weakening the midfield, personally I think that would be a mistake, but then I don't have 11 points from 5 games do i?

Some of our problems are problems, some of our problems are great problems to have.

• Like 3

Yeah biggest test so far this season. Looking at how Bruce has set us up so far we're gonna get pummelled with possession but against one of the strongest teams which will be very difficult. 

I'd pack the midfield as itll be suicide having only Jedi and Gards in the middle, leaving no protection for the defence atall. We were fortunate in that Reading and Fulham had no potency in attack and Wolves and Blues missed their chances. Can't see Brighton being so wasteful so we need to try and win the midfield to have a chance of taking away some points.

I think playing against a team who will come right at us could potentially enable us to counter with Kodja and Adomah. Should be a good game for the punters tuning in and we should relish it.

Edited by roonst83

Probably Brighton's toughest home test to date and unlike us they are not unbeaten at home. ;) 

They face a team that are unbeaten in 5 games having themselves won their last 4 games and remained unbeaten in the league for two months.

A Villa win would make the rest of the division sit up and realise that we are a force to be reckoned with now and a point would maintain our unbeaten run as well as their own. A defeat would not be something that we could not recover from before the end of the season and it is unlikely that we will finish this season without one or two more defeats. I would take a point now but I have a hankering for a win that will burst their bubble. 2-1 to us then!        

Edited by John
  • Like 2

tough tough game. Would take a point now. 

Not only are they free scoring but they are keeping clean sheets. Away from home.. and we will be without Jedinak in what is an already weak midfield. Gardner Tishbola and Bacuna to start? 

Edited by KSV
  • Like 1

This is our toughest test yet, no doubt about it. The good thing is we've got a nice long break in which we can prepare for it. It's  a shame that Jedinak won't play but if we go into the match with confidence and a proper game plan the we can get something from it. I just pray to god that we don't get a Norwich style tonking! A draw would be a decent result, but imagine what a win would do for us! 

Brighton have only conceded 9 (yes ONLY NINE) goals this season so I dont expect many goals in this one. have to go with three in midfield. with jedinak likely to be on a long haul flight wouldnt be suprised to see westwood start this one.

I would play gardner, jedinak (if he is in the right condition) and grealish in the middle

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Tough game. Could do without this international break as we have some momentum going

Same goes for them, though saying that I wonder how many internationals they have? 

I know they have the mercurial Steve Sidwell! :unsure:

Oh I do like to be beside the seaside,

Oh I do like to be beside the sea,

Oh I do like to stroll along the prom, prom, prom,

Where the brass bands play **** off West Brom and Birmingham, **** West Brom and Birmingham and lulu's and lulu's :clap:

This will be a very interesting test.  We'll see just how far we've come and how far we still have to go.  Originally I thought Norwich were going to be the second team in this division, but Brighton are definitely taking that role now.  Not least after a 5-0 thrashing of Norwich.  They're currently on a 4 game winning streak and on a season's best 10 game unbeaten run.  They've the best home record in the division whereas we've won 1 out of 8 away games and only Ipswich have scored fewer goals away from home.  On paper this looks like a home banker.  But we've turned a corner results-wise so as I say, it should be very interesting.  All we need now is for our players to come back unscathed from international duty.

1fdd7394b263dcc562e61548ed7efae3.png

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Huh?

Aston Villa's Mile Jedinak: The shrewd management that kick-started his claret and blue career

The salient part is

Bruce took the unusual step of revealing almost a fortnight in advance that Jedinak will not be involved in Villa's next Championship match on November 17 because of his next international trek for the Socceroos.

“Jedinak won’t play," confirmed Bruce. "He plays on the Tuesday in Thailand - so how can I expect to make him play on the Friday?