limpid

Match Polls  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

23 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Set up wrong, Bruce tweaked it after half an hour, obviously gave them a rocket at HT so that impressed me, subs made sense too, we were playing well when they scored, adomah again with his directness made a massive difference imo, baker immense, jedinak my motm was winning everything 2nd half and his ball for the 2nd goal was stunning

The ref was average but the fat lino was garbage 

For some reason it's almost seeming like he starts out wrong to keep opposition guessing then hit them with a flurry!:lol:

35 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Yes! Unbeaten in five, and a better points haul that all of last season. 

This club has put us through hell over the last couple of years. 

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

We're the worst team ever to get eleven points from five games. Watching us repeatedly demonstrate our inability to pass the ball on a weekly basis this season has been a truly saddening experience. It stops us creating chances, it stops us gaining that little bit of confidence that comes with moving the ball, it stops us connecting as a team and it allows the opposition to feel like they're in control. It means our confidence drops away and as our belief falters and theirs grows it makes life more and more difficult in games - we become worse, giving it away more and more, becoming almost unwatchable, desperately digging in against a team at the bottom of the table because we've killed our own confidence in not being able to play the ball to another man in a Villa shirt.

Thankfully, we've got some of the best players in the division - so whilst we can't pass the ball to save our lives, we can run at you and hurt you and we can win games on moments of genius - actually, quite a few moments of genius. Like Grealish running past three men and winning a penalty, or the incredible Kodjia turning a crossing opportunity into a shooting opportunity into a goal. In the likes of Kodjia, Grealish, Ayew and Adomah we have players that don't need passing to make goals - which means we can develop a certain confidence even when we're playing badly - which means we can be the worst team ever to get eleven points from five games.

We'll struggle against some really bad teams this season and we'll beat some very good ones; we'll do this because we're as bad a footballing team as there is in the division but with a sprinkling of individuals that should be a division higher. It's like school football where the cool kid with the talent beats teams on his own and everyone else shuffles around or tries to get the ball to him. It's Sunderland with Messi.

We're moderately successful at the back - Chester and Baker look a solid partnership, Hutton is more good Hutton than bad Hutton right now and Amavi had another very good game. In midfield, Gardner gives us half a midfield and he worked his socks off again today, Jedinak may only find a Villa man with one pass in every twenty, but the one pass tends to be a good un - they're neither of them as good in midfield as our defenders are in defence and they're from a different division to our front line - but we're somehow muddling through.

Interesting set up for most of the game, with Grealish and McCormack up front, Kodjia down the left and Adomah down the right - seems the wrong way around, but kinda worked. Personally I'd rather see another midfielder in there (even if it's Westwood) and I still don't think McCormack is a good fit - but again, it held out.

So, Steve Bruce - he's a genius. Or maybe he's very lucky. Or maybe he's being rescued by individual moments of talent. Or maybe he's cleverly set us up to do less of the things we're rubbish at and allow us more opportunity to do the things we're good at. I don't know. I don't care. We've eleven points from five games - he's doing good.

If we were to buy the players that would enable us to play normal football in January, with the forward talent we have here, we could win fifteen on the trot. 

Sally can go on waiting as long as she likes.

I disagree. We can pass the ball and play better football than we are currently witnessing. This was shown under RDMs stewardship but for whatever reason we could not win games. We are not going to be playing like that under SB as he seems to prefer a more hoofball dinosaur approach. I have never thought any of his previous teams have been entertaining football types and a leopard doesn't change its spots. This is what he brings so don't expect anything else.

Edited by pacbuddies

I think in Kodjia we have a striker who is the closest thing to Dwight Yorke we have ever had. Every time Kodjia gets the ball I expect something to happen, he isn't great in the air (hence the non comparison to Benteke), but with the ball at his feet he is great. However, that said, I cannot get understand why McCormack is starting ahead of Gestede (unless its the 12 million reasons) and for the life of me Gabby getting 20+ minutes is a farce. 

Well done potato head, you've made us hard to beat, which is what we haven't been for years, and you've helped us to grind out results, overall a happy Villa fan here!

29 minutes ago, steve1986 said:

I think in Kodjia we have a striker who is the closest thing to Dwight Yorke we have ever had. Every time Kodjia gets the ball I expect something to happen, he isn't great in the air (hence the non comparison to Benteke), but with the ball at his feet he is great. However, that said, I cannot get understand why McCormack is starting ahead of Gestede (unless its the 12 million reasons) and for the life of me Gabby getting 20+ minutes is a farce. 

Well done potato head, you've made us hard to beat, which is what we haven't been for years, and you've helped us to grind out results, overall a happy Villa fan here!

Apart from actual Dwight Yorke probably ;)

• Like 4

Â