The Villa Finance Thread

Avfc96

Wow, so over 10 years, spent £300m to increase the price of the club by £10m, or decrease it by £14m if you count the overdraft repayment as separate from the sale price.

That is a spectacular disaster and, although I knew those figures, the video focuses the facts in a very painful way.

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I knew Lerner was an idiot the day he appointed mcleish

I heard an interview with Paul Faulkner after Mcleish had been sacked. The explanation that he gave was that they genuinely thought he was a top manager because he won the League Cup with the scum.  I knew then that he was a total fraud. 

Edited by sidcow

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I heard an interview with Paul Faulkner after Mcleish had been sacked. The explanation that he gave was that they genuinely though he was a top manager because he won the League Cup with the scum of.  I knew then that he was a total fraud. 

That was the major start of the decline for me and one of the  most idiotic in all my time if being a villa Fan

Edited by Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

That was the major start of the decline for me and one of the  most idiotic in all my time if being a villa Fan

The start of our decline begin in the summer of 2009 imo. City had all the money on earth, Chelsea had just appointed Ancelotti, United had the greatest manager of all time, Spurs had the crook who got the best of what they had and well Arse had Wenger and we should all know they don't finish outside of the top four despite how rubbish their squad.

Our signings that summer were:

Collins

Dunne

Beye

Delph

Warnock

Downing

No-where near good enough for a club that was challenging for the CL at the time. (Yes I know our cup form was fantastic but our league form capitulated in the same way it had done the previous season).

1 hour ago, Avfc96 said:

The start of our decline begin in the summer of 2009 imo. City had all the money on earth, Chelsea had just appointed Ancelotti, United had the greatest manager of all time, Spurs had the crook who got the best of what they had and well Arse had Wenger and we should all know they don't finish outside of the top four despite how rubbish their squad.

Collins

Dunne

Beye

Delph

Warnock

Downing

No-where near good enough for a club that was challenging for the CL at the time. (Yes I know our cup form was fantastic but our league form capitulated in the same way it had done the previous season).

And if I remember correctly Collins, Warnock & Beye were signed at the last minute about 4 weeks into the season. Dunne dragged on and on also. Why did O'Neil always wait so long so he never had a pre-season?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Avfc96 said:

Collins

Dunne

Beye

Delph

Warnock

Downing

Signed 4 defenders and proceeded to have the best defensive season in ages. Also 2 players that were sold for a profit. 

The problem was that in that summer Man City spent 3-4 times as much, signing the likes of Tevez, Adebayor, Barry, etc. Villa could never compete with that realistically. It wasn't the players bought because we were never in for the expensive and better players the other clubs got, it was the investment that was lacking. 

8 hours ago, Avfc96 said:

Collins

Dunne

Beye

Delph

Warnock

Downing

Thats more O'Neill though than Lerner to be fair

• Like 1

On 15/11/2016 at 15:59, TrentVilla said:

Spent years and years saying it, you don't have to be smart to inherit a fortune but you have to be dumb to blow one.

Very true. In my time in business (now happily retired :)) I worked with 2 separate clients where the sons blew the fathers fortunes.

It is easier to spend money than it is to earn it.

• Like 1

Â