Gary Walsh

BOF

Hull City goalkeeping coach Gary Walsh departs for Aston Villa

Hull City goalkeeping coach Gary Walsh has left the club to link up once more with Steve Bruce at Aston Villa.

skysports-hull-city-goalkeeping-coach-ga

Walsh, 48, is the latest member of Hull's backroom team to leave the club in favour of a switch to Villa following Stephen Clemence's decision to join up with Bruce in October.

"The club would like to place on record its thanks to goalkeeping coach Gary Walsh, who has opted to leave the KCOM Stadium to take up a role with Aston Villa," read a statement on Hull's official website.

"Having joined the Tigers during the 2011/12 season, Walsh was part of the coaching staff during the most successful period in the club's history, assisting in two promotions to the Premier League as well as the 2014 run to our first-ever FA Cup final appearance.

"The former Manchester United goalkeeper was in the Tigers' dug-out for the final time during Saturday's Premier League fixture at Watford and leaves with our very best wishes for the future.

"The process to recruit a replacement is now underway."

skysports-hull-city-manager-goalkeeping-

Walsh's departure means manager Mike Phelan is the only member of the coaching staff which guided Hull to promotion in May who is still at the club.

Bruce resigned as Hull boss in July after becoming increasingly frustrated by the lack of investment in the playing squad and former first-team coach Keith Bertschin left the KCOM Stadium by mutual consent in August.

Phelan, who installed Neil McDonald as his new assistant last week in place of Clemence, was already looking to add at least one new member to his backroom team and will now begin his search for a new goalkeeping coach.

Walsh arrived at Hull under former boss Nick Barmby in December 2011 and Phelan had been hoping the ex-Manchester United and Middlesbrough goalkeeper would stay on at the club.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Anyone know anything about his credentials?

I remember him playing, or not playing to be more precise. I'm sure he was at Man Utd for years but hardly ever played

• Like 1

I don't get why we keep sacking and hiring different goalkeeping coaches or fitness coaches based on different managers? Surely when a manager gets sacked we shouldn't have to keep changing all the surrounding staff too?

Seems like such a waste of money.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Wow Jim Leighton - Didn't Fergie sub him off at half time during a game at Wembley? or did I dream that?

img_1215.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Wow Jim Leighton - Didn't Fergie sub him off at half time during a game at Wembley? or did I dream that?

He was dropped after the 3-3 draw with Palace and lost his place to the lunatic Les Sealy. That was pretty much the end for him at Man Utd

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I don't get why we keep sacking and hiring different goalkeeping coaches or fitness coaches based on different managers? Surely when a manager gets sacked we shouldn't have to keep changing all the surrounding staff too?

Sacking the manager but keeping the Backroom staff is like flushing the Turd but keeping the smell.

get rid of the source and the smell

I understand the concept of replacing the entire back room staff, but seriously, how many different goalkeeping philosophies are there that you need to change out this particular coach?  Does anyone really think that the goalkeeping coach contributed significantly to the poor start to the season?  Same with fitness coach to some extent.  Either he was doing his job getting the players fit and he should keep his job even if the manager goes, or he isn't and should lose it even if the manager isn't sacked.  I understand some have different philosophies and methods, but the new manager should be able to go to him and say, "I want to play a pressing game, stamina and acceleration are important, so get them fit for that" or "we're going to sit back and counterattack, emphasize speed over strength in your fitness training."  A good fitness coach should be able to train them to suit the tactical needs of the manager.   Get rid of the staff who helped dictate the style of play and made the poor selection, formation and substitution decisions and save the money and keep the ones who didn't (unless of course the goalkeepers keep making mistakes and the team is obviously unfit).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I'm in an agreement here.

18 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I think the club are in agreement....from what I gather, they are looking at making arrangements to stop this.

I understand any manager wants his confidante....but not a whole rake of staff surely.

blimey, the Job center must have its own section for us.:)

Edited by TRO

19 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Anyone know anything about his credentials?

I think the club doctor is planning to examine them.:)

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, AvfcTheObsession said:

Wasn't he back up to Schmeichel for a few years in the 90s?

He was. He was also the sub goalkeeper for Man Utd when we beat them in the then 'Coca Cola Cup' final at wembley 3-1 in 1994. The good old Big Ron days!  :hooray:

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 2

Â