Top Gear

Jez

As a side note, if you're buying an A5 Tony, then surely a test drive in an R8 is the deal breaker?

they are offering track days on their website so I assumed I'd blag one of them ..but you raise a good point .. R8 it is :-)

Haha, we've already had Chindie's reaction to that, TV!

(incidentally, I don't like it either)

Like the look of the XF estate though. I'm not an estate fan in general, but as far as they go, the XF one looks decent.

I think the convertible Evoque is ace :D Its just so bonkers its awesome. A whole new segment!

Gotta laugh at the article, Land rover doing some "top secret" trials in central london without any camo at all :lol:

No doubt the trials took place up and down fleet street!

to just chip in on Jag dealers which is admittedly a bit OT:

2 years ago I wanted an X type estate (I know, I know), not new, but as new as possible and as high a spec as possible. The Jag dealer on the outskirts of Worcester was awful. Worse than Fiat (which I generally use as a low water mark). I told them I was ready to buy, to the point my previous car had died and I needed a car quickly. The spec I gave them illustrated I knew what I wanted but left a big wide brief, a couple of engine sizes, a couple of equipment levels, virtually any colour. They managed to dick me around for weeks. I asked them at one point if they really were into selling cars or just a cover for something else.

I went over to Audi today on my way home from work ... Just wanted to have a look before they closed... salesman found an A5 Quattro 3.0l and let me take it out for a test drive( bit naughty as I didn't have my license with me to show him )... Even though in theory it was 10 minutes intil his home time

Came back from the test drive and he made me a cup of coffee and went through all the various add-ons and their merits on the car and answered any questions I had .. Left about an hour after they close

I was impressed with the car but also impressed with him and I suspect the way he dealt with me has clinched the deal

As a side note, if you're buying an A5 Tony, then surely a test drive in an R8 is the deal breaker?

they are offering track days on their website so I assumed I'd blag one of them ..but you raise a good point .. R8 it is :-)

The R8 is a very nice motor. My ownly gripe is the semi-automatic gearbox, as you can hear the car thinking about what's it doing before bodging up or down a shift.

I went over to Audi today on my way home from work ... Just wanted to have a look before they closed... salesman found an A5 Quattro 3.0l and let me take it out for a test drive( bit naughty as I didn't have my license with me to show him )... Even though in theory it was 10 minutes intil his home time

Came back from the test drive and he made me a cup of coffee and went through all the various add-ons and their merits on the car and answered any questions I had .. Left about an hour after they close

I was impressed with the car but also impressed with him and I suspect the way he dealt with me has clinched the deal

Salesman in "being a salesman" shocker.

I think when you're buying a car like a Jaguar or a Land Rover, the customer service forms as much a part of the product as the car itself does. If you're about to spend £30k+ on a car, then a warm welcome and level of interest is the least you should expect, particularly bearing in mind that these will probably be the people responsible for servicing and aftercare. Mercedes, for example, will often ring you to arrange a service, arrive at your door with a replacement car and have your vehicle back on your drive the same day.

Had nothing but good experiences with BMW when we had the Mini.

Nice bit of stuff at Mini:

"Sorry Sir we don't have any Mini's to give you as a Courtesy Car, but we have one of our BMW demonstrators for you if thats ok?"

He's me expecting a 1 series..... and yes... thats an M3 for the day.

Me: "Yeah that will do I suppose".

:D

VW here are tossers though.

I've just got a new M3 and it's an absolutely brilliant car, love it to bits.

And if you're talking shit car dealers, then Nissan over here take some beating.

Salesman in "being a salesman" shocker.

:-)

Totally Agree but tell that to Jaguar ( or sytner) as it was a skill their salesmen lacked

I think when you're buying a car like a Jaguar or a Land Rover, the customer service forms as much a part of the product as the car itself does. If you're about to spend £30k+ on a car, then a warm welcome and level of interest is the least you should expect, particularly bearing in mind that these will probably be the people responsible for servicing and aftercare. Mercedes, for example, will often ring you to arrange a service, arrive at your door with a replacement car and have your vehicle back on your drive the same day.

Had nothing but good experiences with BMW when we had the Mini.

Nice bit of stuff at Mini:

"Sorry Sir we don't have any Mini's to give you as a Courtesy Car, but we have one of our BMW demonstrators for you if thats ok?"

He's me expecting a 1 series..... and yes... thats an M3 for the day.

Me: "Yeah that will do I suppose".

:D

VW here are tossers though.

I've just got a new M3 and it's an absolutely brilliant car, love it to bits.

And if you're talking shit car dealers, then Nissan over here take some beating.

Good to see you opted for a nice practical family car :-)

A nice looking car though

You can get four people in no danger, (shame we're expecting our third, but there you go!) The wife's got a Qashqai+2 in any case though, which is what we use for lugging the kids round in.