Pre match thread

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

I really don't understand how you are are looking forward to this. We are obviously going to lose. I hate optimism. 

To quote a rather funny Scottish ex-player/manager:

"Apart from yourself, we're all quite positive round here. I'm going to whack you over the head with a big stick. Down negative man, down!" ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I really don't understand how you are are looking forward to this. We are obviously going to lose. I hate optimism. 

Tongue-in-cheek I assume.  Fierce local rivalry and bragging rights at stake, hugely valuable points to play for, a crackling atmosphere guaranteed with drama and tension as two pretty evenly matched teams go toe to toe......how could any football fan not look forward to a derby!  These are the games we pray for.  I have absolutely no fear playing them, none.  Can't come quick enough. We could lose but, of course, but I am up for the fight and go into 100% expecting us to do them.  UTV

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If they score first i think we will lose, can see us crumbling as villa do. if we score first early i think we could go on to win comfortablely

No. We will beat the shit.  Positive thoughts @Demitri_C - don't give them f**kers an inch.  They score first we fight and scrap, come back and win in the final minutes. In your face BCFC.

• Like 4

ye, sorry, but i cant see a win here, their excuse of a pub team is more hungry than our team of internationals, we are their cup final, they are so desperate to beat us that they actually will, most of our players wont understand how important this derby is because most of them can't even speak English.

edit: i also hate these derbys very much, not every football supporter wants to see a derby game, and despite what the neanderthol small heateans think, its not about the violence or proving who is the biggest team in the city, because even though villa are down at the moment behind albion and small heath, both them club fans know its still Villa, and Villa supporters know its Villa, what would be best is if there were no derbys and small heath just didn't exist, but hey ho.

Edited by AndyBM

30 minutes ago, AndyBM said:

ye, sorry, but i cant see a win here, their excuse of a pub team is more hungry than our team of internationals, we are their cup final, they are so desperate to beat us that they actually will, most of our players wont understand how important this derby is because most of them can't even speak English.

edit: i also hate these derbys very much, not every football supporter wants to see a derby game, and despite what the neanderthol small heateans think, its not about the violence or proving who is the biggest team in the city, because even though villa are down at the moment behind albion and small heath, both them club fans know its still Villa, and Villa supporters know its Villa, what would be best is if there were no derbys and small heath just didn't exist, but hey ho.

Just running through our likely starting 11 and I can't think of many who can't speak English:

Gollinni - conversational English (from what I've seen of him)

Amavi - no idea but probably decent level of English

Baker - native

Chester - native

Hutton - native

Jedinak - native

Bacuna - probably close to fluent

Gardner - native

Adomah - native

Ayew - native

Kodjia - probably close to fluent

I actually can't find anyone in our squad let alone players likely to start that probably isn't at a decent level of English. Vast majority of them in fact are native or fluent.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, alexpayne said:

Each to their own, but I absolutely love these derbies and it really took the edge off going down knowing we got 2 games against these ****. So many memories good and bad, but when we beat these its definitely up their with the best feelings.

100% this and pretty surprised most, if not all, fans don't see it this way.....absolutely love beating the blues! 

1 hour ago, AndyBM said:

This idea that their team is more hungry than ours is pure fiction.

54 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Just running through our likely starting 11 and I can't think of many who can't speak English:

Gollinni - conversational English (from what I've seen of him)

Amavi - no idea but probably decent level of English

Baker - native

Chester - native

Hutton - native

Jedinak - native

Bacuna - probably close to fluent

Gardner - native

Adomah - native

Ayew - native

Kodjia - probably close to fluent

I actually can't find anyone in our squad let alone players likely to start that probably isn't at a decent level of English. Vast majority of them in fact are native or fluent.

The only language needed on the day ,is a total love and commitment to all things Aston Villa ,that's all .we ,as fans ,ask for .

2 hours ago, Gary Thomas said:

No. We will beat the shit.  Positive thoughts @Demitri_C - don't give them f**kers an inch.  They score first we fight and scrap, come back and win in the final minutes. In your face BCFC.

I hope so mate I wanna be proud of a villa team again

I wasn't being tongue in cheek, I was serious. That's what the last few years of Villa have done to me. I feel that Bruce is an improvement on recent managers, and will turn it round in the end, but right now the squad is still way too fragile and error-prone. Obviously, I dearly hope I'm wrong, but all I can see is a Sunday evening of bitter, angry postings on here after another collapse. I won't be watching it, I feel too sick. I'll check the result with trepidation at full time. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I wasn't being tongue in cheek, I was serious. That's what the last few years of Villa have done to me. 

"Life begins on the other side of despair." I hope Sartre wasn't being in tongue in cheek either.

Re: WBA. In the 70s they were far more rivals to us than sha. Both clubs in the top flight, both with decent teams, while the bluescum languished far below, as is only right. So it actually was rivalry, with a modicum of mutual respect, unlike the naked hatred between us and THEM. I had (and still have) several good mates who supported the Olbiyun, and I've been to many games with them, both at VP and The Hawthorns. Whereas I have never been to the sty, never would. That's how it was then. Nowadays I couldn't comment.