Pre-match thread

BOF

Nice normal 3pm kick-off.  Coming off a win too !

Fulham started the season surprisingly well for a relegation candidate who had just sold their top striker (to us...), but have since trailed off and not been the same force.  Although having said that, their recent 2 results look good so it's hard to know.

They're a Jekyll and Hyde team.  2nd from bottom in the home league and 2nd from top in the away :angry:

I think we beat them.

Attendance looking very healthy for this already - some good deals available, plus our recent WIN should boost that even more and I think we'll have a bumper crowd.  Another win would give the whole place such a massive lift.  I think the tide is turning and we will do it. Would like Amavi and Ayew to start, but trust Bruce.

Edited by Gary Thomas

14 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

I'd like to see

Gollini

Hutton     Chester   Baker     Amavi

Jedinak

Bacuna        Gardner

Adomah                                  Ayew

Kodjia

I like that, but would either start Tshibola in place of Gardner or just bring him on second half for Jedinak or Gardner.

4 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Ayew definitely needs to start in place of Gestede IMO. Same for Amavi in place of Aly.

Bacuna has earned another start IMO, same with Gardner.

Not sure that dropping Gestede is wise.

He actually played well yesterday and provided us with a focus in attack.

Even though we're at home, I think I'd still go for another 4-1-4-1 stay compact and difficult to break down, but expect to have more of the ball. I'd probably go for: 

Gollini

Hutton Chester Baker Amavi

Jedinak 

Adomah Bacuna Gardner Ayew

Kodija

Jedinak needs to shape up soon, and Cissokho needs to make way now, just a liability.

• Like 1

Please pick

------------------------Gollini 

bacuna------Chester---------baker---------amavi

--------Westwood------jedinak------tshibola

----------------------ayew

--------------kodjia----------gestede 

• Like 3

This is our biggest game in about 3 years need to build on the Reading win need to stop taking 1 step forward and the 3 backwards and I can't remember the last time we won back to back ,we have to start turning our home draws into wins we do that and we will be right in the promotion mix .

The last time we won two league games on the bounce was May 2015, we beat Everton and then West Ham on the 2nd and 9th May respectively. So this is a chance to make a massive step forward.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Villastine said:

Not sure that dropping Gestede is wise.

He actually played well yesterday and provided us with a focus in attack.

I thought he was poor yesterday, but I did look up the stats after the match and he won 10 headers. I don't think a single one found a Villa player though, which fit's with his 52% pass completion rate. 

I'd play Kodjia up top and Ayew on the wing. Kodjia is more than enough focus, IMO. 

10 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

The last time we won two league games on the bounce was May 2015, we beat Everton and then West Ham on the 2nd and 9th May respectively. So this is a chance to make a massive step forward.

I remember being at that West Ham home game. It was just after the general election so the atmosphere amongst my group was pretty shocked and low. From what I remember we dominated West Ham that day as well. Oh how things have changed both politically and at Villa in the relatively short time since. Didn't think it could get much worse at that point...

2 minutes ago, dnmacf said:

I remember being at that West Ham home game. It was just after the general election so the atmosphere amongst my group was pretty shocked and low. From what I remember we dominated West Ham that day as well. Oh how things have changed both politically and at Villa in the relatively short time since. Didn't think it could get much worse at that point...

I was there too, isn't that the game where we were safe from relegation with those three points? I think I was checking the score elsewhere, maybe Wigan's game to see if they lost and they did I think. Might not have been them though.

18 hours ago, Gary Thomas said:

Attendance looking very healthy for this already - some good deals available, plus our recent WIN should boost that even more and I think we'll have a bumper crowd.  Another win would give the whole place such a massive lift.  I think the tide is turning and we will do it. Would like Amavi and Ayew to start, but trust Bruce.

Heard there was an offer of 4 tickets for £40 on for this one. 

Edited by Kingman

12 hours ago, Richard said:

Please pick

------------------------Gollini 

bacuna------Chester---------baker---------amavi

--------Westwood------jedinak------tshibola

----------------------ayew

--------------kodjia----------gestede 

Thats a solid team but be harsh to drop gardner after his performance against Reading