The Aston Villa Transfer Horror Show

bannedfromHandV

We look back at the Mellberg teams as if those teams were really amazing. They weren't, for the most part. We've had a lot of great players come through, but no great teams. I miss the days when we could control games. 

• Like 1

On 20/10/2016 at 09:40, bannedfromHandV said:

I'm judging it in terms of their contribution not their potential, Ayew, whilst one of our higher contributors still hasn't justified the price tag as far as I'm concerned and given that he was expected to be the standout or one of the standout players in the Championship I feel justified in saying he's been 'average' (where the scale is hit, average or flop).

I think he has definitely been one of the standout players in The Championship. I guess that's the difference. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think he has definitely been one of the standout players in The Championship. I guess that's the difference. 

Really?

A handful of assists and two goals (one a penalty), better than most of our other players for sure but I'd say that Dwight (11 goals) Gayle has been a standout performer, I wouldn't put Ayew anywhere near his level of contribution yet.

He may well go on to have a great season, I truly hope he does but a handful of goals last season and inconsistent performances married with his efforts this season to date puts him in the average category for me.

I don't want this to come across as though I'm arguing with you as it's a highly subjective topic and we'll each view things differently so I respect your opinion even if I don't agree with it.

19 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Which begs the question..... was randy Lerner really that tight with the money?

He may not have put a lot in himself near the end but he certainly made a lot available for transfers.

He certainly put enough in for us not to be down the bottom of the championship.

I have always said that....particularly in his formative years with us.

but due to his questionable managerial appointments the money seemed to lose its effect in incompetency & confusion.

6 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think it depends what we look for....his effectiveness is a bit lacking, but he needs to be involved in an improving team.

i think in terms of technical ability he is well blessed....He has good feet, amongst the best in the division. he can open the opposition up.

some of his critical bits are derived from the poor team.....when the teamwork improves, he will prove to be more rounded and subsequently more effective.

In terms of potential, i think he has more in his locker in terms improvement than many others.

Â