The Aston Villa Transfer Horror Show

bannedfromHandV

Yes our transfers have been largely awful for years now. It's amazing we can get it so wrong so often. There's never been any long term planning or any decent manager at the club to get the best out of players.

If we are arguing over at the most - 3 of them were average instead of flops - it shows the money we have wasted over the years. I still think most of the current batch are ok signings in their own right - they just don't blend as a team

On 19/10/2016 at 10:29, bannedfromHandV said:

Replied to someone in another thread stating that I felt as though Benteke had been the only player we'd signed in the past 5 years who has gone on to be a success here. I felt compelled to substantiate that a bit further.

Here's a list (there may be some missing as I've pulled it from soccerbase.com so feel free to suggest additions, you may also disagree with some of my assessments but I've tried to keep them fairly simple in terms of hit, average or flop but it's subjective of course.

2016/2017:

Jonathan Kodija – early signs are promising

Pierluigi Gollini  - early signs are promising

Aaron Tshibola  - early signs are promising but lots of work to be done too

Ross McCormack – can see he’s a good player but lacking fitness and confidence at the moment

James Chester – average to date

Mile Jedinak - poor

Ritchie de Laet – not able to judge          

Albert Adomah - average

Tommy Elphick – average

2015/2016:

Mark Bunn – average/flop

Idrissa Gueye - average

Jordan Amavi - average

Jordan Ayew - average  

Jose Angel Crespo - flop

Rudy Gestede - flop       

Jordan Veretout - flop   

Adama Traore - flop       

Matija Sarkic - who         

Joleon Lescott – flop

2014/2015:

Joe Cole - flop   

Philippe Senderos - flop

Tom Leggett - who         

Isaac Nehemie - who     

Kieran Richardson - flop

Aly Cissokho – average/flop       

Carlos Sanchez - flop      

Carles Gil - flop 

Scott Sinclair - flop          

Micah Richards – flop

2013/2014:

Leandro Bacuna - average

Jores Okore - flop            

Nicklas Helenius - flop   

Antonio Luna - flop         

Jed Steer - flop 

Libor Kozak – flop

2012/2013:

Karim El Ahmadi - flop   

Brett Holman - flop        

Matthew Lowton - flop                 

Ron Vlaar - average                        

Joe Bennett - flop                            

Christian Benteke - success         

Jordan Bowery - flop                      

Ashley R Westwood - average   

Yacouba Sylla - flop        

Aleksandar Tonev - flop

I think if ever there was something to highlight why we are where we are it's the above, I'm now fully confident in stating that over the past 5 years of transfers we've only managed to recruit one single player who would be considered a success here.

I genuinely believe that any of us could have done a better job in heading up the scouting/recruitment during this time, whoever has been in charge should be shot.

I think the most alarming thing is......other clubs have spent much less than us with a much better return.....we appear to have had a credulous lot at the club.

Many of our summer signings represented a massive over spend, in particular McCormack and Kodjia. I think we demonstrated a lack of imagination in the window, comparable players were available for significantly less than the fees we paid for both. 

It's not my money so shouldn't be overly bothered but still can't get over us paying up to £15m for Kodjia, a player who has only ever had one season at this level (with the bulk of his experience being below Championship standard). 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Based on what, what has he contributed so far?

An assist! I've seen enough to think there is more to come from him. He works hard and he's got decent skill. Other players in the original list have been given a chance, either by saying they're promising so far or with the caveat "to date", but poor old Albert is dismissed as "average" after six games for the club.

Here's a slight change of focus. 

Which could have been good signings if they hadn't been surrounded by a rubbish team?

Although I despise Richards I'd have liked to have him as RB alongside two rock solid CB.

Steer is a decent 2nd/3rd choice keeper. 

I think Gil could have achieved much more in a decent side. As could Veretout. 

Lescott would have been a great signing if.............give me a minute..........err..............for the women's over 80s third team........as a backup to Gertrude Rathbone if her hip needed replacement. 

I'd still pick Gertrude Rathbone over Lescott, at least she wouldn't offend by tweeting pics of her mobility scooter. 

While I think Gil and Veretout undoubtably have some skill about them, I don't think they would have been prepared to put the effort in that's required this season. Whether they could succeed at another Prem club? Who knows, I have my doubts. I guess if they're good enough, someone other than Villa would come in for them.

steer's a strange one, seemed to do well for Huddersfield but is now behind Bunn. It'll be interesting to see if Bruce rates him though. 

• Like 2

Benteke was very good, Vlaar was good.

The rest were rank average/shit. 

It's been said that Lerner didn't spend a lot on transfers/wages during his final years at the club. The fact is he did and nearly all of it was wasted.

In terms of since then, I hold out hope for Kodja, Chester, Tshibola and Gollini.

The rest, including McCormack I think will turn out to be bad transfers.

6 hours ago, TRO said:

I think the most alarming thing is......other clubs have spent much less than us with a much better return....

Which begs the question..... was randy Lerner really that tight with the money?

He may not have put a lot in himself near the end but he certainly made a lot available for transfers.

He certainly put enough in for us not to be down the bottom of the championship.

• Like 1

since summer 2011 we have signed maybe 40 players and I would say 2 has been a success and that we made a good profit in Benteke, some moderate success but not that many

it is probably the worst run club in Europe

2 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Was mate, was. 

At least i like to think we're in better hands now. 

We'd all like to think that but the evidence is s bit thin on the ground at the moment. Transfer window paying high fees to create an unbalanced squad/manager sacked after a couple of months of poor results.

Sound familiar?

Edited by briny_ear

Â