The National Hunt Thread (Horse Racing)

AvfcRigo82

I know we have a thread on 'Gambling' but felt this would be an on going thread that deserved it's own.
A place for everything horse racing for the NH fans amongst us, Tips, Info anything.

So with the NH season firmly underway we witness the Showcase meeting at Cheltenham this weekend with a lot of promising novice hurdlers & chasers.

Old Guard is one to keep an eye on this season from the Paul Nichols yard making his transition from hurdles to chases.

• Like 1

NH? Donkeys jumping over privets? Flat racing is far better :P

Seriously though, it'd be nice to see a change from the Ricci/Mullins dominance in the big races

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, snowychap said:

Only just heard on C4 racing that Vautour was put down earlier in the week. Sad news. :(

Yes, was shocked when I heard the news too. He was one of the top horses of the current generation. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Xela said:

Sprinter Sacre now retired after injury. Another one of the modern greats. 

Followed by Simonsig being fatally injured yesterday, Not a good start to the season for Henderson and connections... 

On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 08:45, Brumerican said:

I'll be backing Apples Jade every chance I get . My favourite horse of all time .

Waste of time last week, Done me of the 4 timer... Might of needed the run but won't be balls deep next time out. Best watched for me.

OLBG Mares' Hurdle

A disappointing seasonal debut was enough for new trainer Elliott to draw stumps on ambitions to campaign last season's star juvenile, Apple's Jade, against the boys in the Champion Hurdle. There was even immediate talk of stepping her up in trip. Such an early capitulation is disappointing not only for the filly but potentially the entire generation she bossed from April onwards.

Her 41-length Aintree demolition of Ivanovitch Gorbatov - who'd beaten her by a relatively narrow margin in the Triumph previously, when she had suffered an interrupted preparation in Mullins' hands - was one of the outstanding performances of the season.

So freakish that perhaps it was merely freak? At Down Royal two Fridays ago, a horse rated 22lb inferior and conceding 2lb beat her by a length and a half.

"That was disappointing," Elliott said, candidly. "She looked slow. I suppose the positive is she was only 80 per cent fit and we have not had her that long but is she a Champion Hurdle winner on that evidence? Definitely not. We will probably step her up in trip and she will win plenty of races. Ruby [Walsh] said she was flat out from a fair way out."

If she does contest this race, she potentially faces at least one from a range of classy Ricci-owned former stablemates, including Limini (who didn't run on the Flat this season because "she got hurt" according to her owner), titleholder Vroum Vroum Mag and the shoulda-woulda-coulda winner of 2015, Annie Power, who infamously nosedived the last when clear before gaining - ahem - some compensation when winning an even bigger prize 12 months later.

So it might turn out that Apple's Jade needs to elevate her form to pretty much Champion Hurdle calibre in order to win even this contest. Therefore 7/2 makes zero appeal. 

Good insight on things to come over the next few weeks/months. 

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/article/465/10659384/lydia-hislops-road-to-cheltenham 

Some right animals out the weekend to name a few...Coneygree, Cue Card, MTOY, Old Guard, God's Own, Dodging Bullets, Yanworth, Zarkander, Garde La Victoire, Annie Power, Faugheen, Nicholas Canyon, Jers Girl, Vroum Vroum Mag... 

I'll start the weekend off with a nice Barney Rubble at Haydock on Friday... 1.25 Cloudy Dream... 3.45 Claimantakinforgan. Returns 5/1 for the Double!.. 

Edited by Kingman

12.40 Aspen Colorado 6/1... 1.45 A Toi Phil 10/3... 2.20 Jers Girl 7/2... 

At a price...

2.50 Monalee 6/1... 3.25 Travertine 12/1... 3.55 Natgould 25/1...  

Edited by Kingman

23 hours ago, Xela said:

Impressive win for Cue Card yesterday. Hope he wins the Gold Cup this year 

Coneygree will be match fit again by then! I like Cue Card but his last two races were bad so he looks to me like a hit and miss horse these days. Coneygree ran a good race when you think of how long he's been off.

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:54, AvfcRigo82 said:

Quite possible..

Just find one that is hot Fav with Ruby on board.. he usually falls of it at the last anyway...    ;)

That was the most openly corrupt thing I have seen in racing. I actually called it on the morning of that day's racing, that Walsh would probably "drop it" if the first lot came in. A certain Irish bookie asked a family favour to stop him losing lots of dough - no doubt.

Â